Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if dirk was black. i bet you guys would think hes better then kg,cwebb, wallace..ect. im not sure why you guys dont give Dirk his dues..this guy is a flat out baller. on nba tonight they said he was right behind daddy and duncan. i bet you if you ask all the GM's they would easily say hes top 5 in the nba. the Mavs was one of the worst nba teams in history for most of the 90's. the mavs now with dirk hes made nash better and the dallas mavericks one of the top teams. this guy is only 24. the numbers he put vs KG in the first round was sick..33.3pts 15.66 rbs 8-11 72.7% 3's. i still think its harder to score points when you have some many scores on your team. (nash, finley, NVE, and some what raef.). KG is awesome but i dont see him getting any better. Dirk brings something new every year.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
No one argues that Dirk is elite. He's among the tops, and I think everyone knows it now.

Let's not make this into a racial thing, though. I don't think it's about him being black or not. KG, CWebb, and Duncan are all great players in their own right, too. To put Dirk among them is not incorrect; to rank Dirk above or below them is simply personal opinion. I don't see one being head and shoulders above the rest, other than Duncan being quite the amazing force.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Dirk can score and rebound, true. Maybe some would rate him higher if he added some more defense to his game and passed the ball a little more.

He is definitely fun to watch - offensively. At 24, he has a huge upside!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Tom Tolbert once said he will be the top player in the west next year. That was at a pre-game show Lakers V Mavs. Dirk was a non-factor in that game and when asked after the game Tolbert said he meant "West Germany" lol.

All kidding aside, Rifleman hit the nail right on the head. He is already a great player and at 24 he is only gonna get better.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FlyingTiger</b>!
if dirk was black. i bet you guys would think hes better then kg,cwebb, wallace..ect. im not sure why you guys dont give Dirk his dues..this guy is a flat out baller. on nba tonight they said he was right behind daddy and duncan. i bet you if you ask all the GM's they would easily say hes top 5 in the nba. the Mavs was one of the worst nba teams in history for most of the 90's. the mavs now with dirk hes made nash better and the dallas mavericks one of the top teams. this guy is only 24. the numbers he put vs KG in the first round was sick..33.3pts 15.66 rbs 8-11 72.7% 3's. i still think its harder to score points when you have some many scores on your team. (nash, finley, NVE, and some what raef.). KG is awesome but i dont see him getting any better. Dirk brings something new every year.
I'm not black, and I don't think Dirk is better than Kevin Garnett or Chris Webber. It has nothing to do with color, and it's sad that you think it does.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I'm not black, and I don't think Dirk is better than Kevin Garnett or Chris Webber. It has nothing to do with color, and it's sad that you think it does.
Sadly, I think you're wrong. If Dirk, Gasol, or any of the other European phenoms were black they would at least be more popular, if not looked at as better players than they are. There's really no denying that the color of a player's skin makes a difference in the way people view him, at least slightly with most people.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have no idea what you all are talking about everybody is rated on their skill not their skin in that case Bob Cousy or Larry Bird would'nt be in the 50 greatest players list but anyway I love my boy KG I think very highly of him but he's not consistent I have not seen Dirk play that much but when I do see em it's amazing he's a 7'0'' 250 lb sg it's amazing someone of his stature can do the things he do,he get some of the most props in the NBA.I tell you one thing he mo props than C Webb,Dirk is probably the best shooter in the league and he gets 10 to 15 rebs a game but he's still lacks D he blocks shots sometime ok cool but how many points does his defender have?the same as Dirk.So basically I would have to start a franchise between Dirk and Duncan it would be Duncan in a flash most people (except Mavs fans)would agree... I would trade Tyson and Eddy and Williams AND some change just for him and Bowen ! ! !

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
No.....................

I would still think he sucks because he can't play defense worth a damn, he gets beat off the dribble every time, he can block shots and he is 7-1, he rebounds but they are all long rebounds off of 3 point shots, and he is not to agile and falls down a lot. It doesn't matter what color he is, he still play pretty weak to me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
IMX: Dirk Nowitzki...

I don't think skin color has anything to do with skill level, popularity. He is a good player, Top 5 SF, but people overrate him alot. He is a good scorer on a team with tons of options. Therfore he does not see many double teams. His defense is very weak. I just think that players who are 7 foot and over should play center. Just proves he is soft.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: Re: if Dirk Nowitzki was black........

Originally posted by <b>The X Factor</b>!

Agreed. Dirk is awesome. He is better than Wallace and C-Webb but he is not as good as Garnett IMO

This isnt a racial thing it is a personal prefence thing

·
Registered
525 Posts
Dirk is not as good as KG or Duncan but can be. Dirk is currently better than Wallace & Brand. Got more range than Webber. Can't touch Mailman: 2nd leading scorer in NBA history.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Im not black and I think K.G./C-Webb/Sheed/Dice/Brand/Reef/J-O'Neal and Walker are ALL BETTER then Nowitzki!:yes:The only time Nowitzki can play PF,is when hes NOT play'n against one of those PF!If K.G. was surrounded by the talent Nowitzki has aka Finley/Nash/NVE he would have been in the WCF by now!Instead hes got Wally whos in his own world,and Brandon who DOESNT even want to start!

Nowitzki better then K.G.?Thats almost funny!:upset:

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
it probably wasn't funny to kg as dirk was putting up 33 and 16 against him. i think kg's slightly better, but to think there's no comparison?

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
personally, i think there is an inherent bias to think of the white player as slow, unathletic and poor defensively. and this stereotype stays with us until it's proven otherwise. thus guys like nash and nowitzki are criticized for poor defense, and having maximized their potential (i believe guys like andre miller and antoine walker get more of a free pass on their defense yet are no better/arguably worse). i've probably had an inherent bias against white players my whole life, partly out of jealousy, because i see more of my game in theirs, yet nash is in the nba and i'm typing about him. i don't think denying that stereotyping of players happens and has an impact is realistic. hell, background and personality have alot to do with the marketing of all players. white/black will certainly affect how players are viewed. as for bird, i can assure you if you asked certain segments of the population who was better bird or magic, some segments would be overwhelmingly in birds favor, others overwhelmingly in magic's. race certainly played a role in the lakers/celts rivalry. it plays a role in hating duke as well.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Guys...color has really nothing to do with how much attention a player receives. Larry Bird is one of the greatest players ever, and he's white. Jason Kidd is one of the best players today, and he's white. There are more black players in the NBA, granted, but that doesn't mean that someone will just disregard a white player because he is white.

That said, I think that Garnett, Webber, etc. are better players than Nowitzki, but that doesn't mean anyone is saying he is a bad player.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Re: IMX: Dirk Nowitzki...

Originally posted by <b>IMX</b>!
I don't think skin color has anything to do with skill level, popularity. He is a good player, Top 5 SF, but people overrate him alot. He is a good scorer on a team with tons of options. Therfore he does not see many double teams. His defense is very weak. I just think that players who are 7 foot and over should play center. Just proves he is soft.
Not necessarily. It could also prove that he is much more athletic than many centers.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Originally posted by <b>OZZY</b>!
No.....................

I would still think he sucks because he can't play defense worth a damn, he gets beat off the dribble every time, he can block shots and he is 7-1, he rebounds but they are all long rebounds off of 3 point shots, and he is not to agile and falls down a lot. It doesn't matter what color he is, he still play pretty weak to me.
Dirk sucks and is weak? Come on. That is unbelievable! You may rate him lower than certain players, but to say he sucks is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dirk's defense needs to be way better if he's gonna be mentioned with a KG or Duncan...Take KG off the T'Wolves, your team might not even make the Playoffs....I'm starting to think alot of you are underrating KG

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tmackin1</b>!
dirk is an overrated piece of poo. the only reason he does good is because if he is double teamed or triple teamed hes got raef, finley, or nash to pop it out to for the open bucket. Therefore put him on the spurs(with out duncan) or Twolves(with out KG) and he would not do as near as good as he does on the mavs
lmao

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just because he may be athletic he is still soft. Any player that is 7 foot and up should play center.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts