Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While his value is still exceptionally high. He's absurdly talented, but he plays like a 6-3 version of TMac. He's got no idea how to integrate his talents within a team game. He's just dribble, dribble, dribble shoot whenever he feels like it (which is often). Given his skills, that can win you a decent number of games. But it wins you **** in the playoffs, where inevitably you find yourself up against a team that has a player as talented as you, but who plays a team game. Arenas is one of these guys who thinks he can control the flow of a game. But really, all he knows how to do is 'force' it, again and again and again. And he's talented enough that it looks like he understands how to control a game, but its fools gold. Moody, unrepentant chuckers don't lead your team to championships. They lead you to 1st and 2nd round playoff exits.

Reactions:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Washington just made the playoffs for the first time I can remember if I were Washington I'd establish getting into the playoffs annually and see if Arenas matures any

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
SeaNet said:
While his value is still exceptionally high. He's absurdly talented, but he plays like a 6-3 version of TMac. He's got no idea how to integrate his talents within a team game. He's just dribble, dribble, dribble shoot whenever he feels like it (which is often). Given his skills, that can win you a decent number of games. But it wins you **** in the playoffs, where inevitably you find yourself up against a team that has a player as talented as you, but who plays a team game. Arenas is one of these guys who thinks he can control the flow of a game. But really, all he knows how to do is 'force' it, again and again and again. And he's talented enough that it looks like he understands how to control a game, but its fools gold. Moody, unrepentant chuckers don't lead your team to championships. They lead you to 1st and 2nd round playoff exits.

i agree , what kind of trade are you thinking? what will the wizards expects for Arenas? Ray allen?

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Why should they do anything to this core of Arenas and Jamison when they just had their best season in 26 years?

I understand where you're coming from, but who is Washington going to get in exchange for Arenas?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Net2 said:
Why should they do anything to this core of Arenas and Jamison when they just had their best season in 26 years?

I understand where you're coming from, but who is Washington going to get in exchange for Arenas?
They already let Hughes go though.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Petey said:

-Petey
Yeah, but they replaced him with Antonio Daniels. He's not Larry Hughes but he's servicable for this team and a good compliment to Jamison and Areans.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
SeaNet said:
wow.

i guess that means the nets should trade jason kidd because when was the last team a team won a title when they were lead by a pg who can't shoot?

the wizards shouldn't think about trading arenas unless it's going to improve their team. if they can get kg with arenas, then go for it. but if the wizards aren't getting a great player in return, they are much better off keeping arenas. you have to make the playoffs before you can win a title, and with arenas, they are looking like a playoff team every year.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rocketeer said:
wow.

i guess that means the nets should trade jason kidd because when was the last team a team won a title when they were lead by a pg who can't shoot?

the wizards shouldn't think about trading arenas unless it's going to improve their team. if they can get kg with arenas, then go for it. but if the wizards aren't getting a great player in return, they are much better off keeping arenas. you have to make the playoffs before you can win a title, and with arenas, they are looking like a playoff team every year.
Thanks!!! For completely missing the point.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they should have kept Hughes and traded Arenas. If you can, get a big for him. Otherwise, try to get some young players and picks. I just think he can't lead a team anywhere. He's a moody unrepentant chucker and he's already been in the league 6 years. The chances of him changing are pretty low, IMO.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Petey said:

-Petey
Hughes was an unrestricted free agent. We didn't let him go so much as he chose to leave. I don't know what went on behind the closed doors, so it's possible the team might have not done all it could to keep him, but it was still Hughes' choice.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
SeaNet said:
I think they should have kept Hughes and traded Arenas. If you can, get a big for him. Otherwise, try to get some young players and picks. I just think he can't lead a team anywhere. He's a moody unrepentant chucker and he's already been in the league 6 years. The chances of him changing are pretty low, IMO.

so your saying Arenas is old? HES BARELY 23 DAMN YEARS OLD and you want the Wizards to trade him for youth? and what youth will that be? Rooks who have 0 experience? be serious

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
SeaNet said:
:no:

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
qrich1fan said:
so your saying Arenas is old? HES BARELY 23 DAMN YEARS OLD and you want the Wizards to trade him for youth? and what youth will that be? Rooks who have 0 experience? be serious
Again, missing the point. But thanks for responding.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tone wone said:
So you think you can win a championship w/ a PG that ignores the other 4 guys on the court as often as not?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
SeaNet said:
So you think you can win a championship w/ a PG that ignores the other 4 guys on the court as often as not?
heck no...

but did you have to throw in that "random" :wink: McGrady reference

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tone wone said:
heck no...

but did you have to throw in that "random" :wink: McGrady reference
Who me? :biggrin:

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
SeaNet said:
when did larry hughes become a great teammate? he certainly isn't going to lead a team anywhere and he pretty much has had the reputation of a bad teammate and maybe even cancer until about last year. that was his 7th season. this is arenas 5th. no reason he can't become a good teammate, if you consider him not one right now.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
MJG said:
Hughes was an unrestricted free agent. We didn't let him go so much as he chose to leave. I don't know what went on behind the closed doors, so it's possible the team might have not done all it could to keep him, but it was still Hughes' choice.

hughes said he wanted big money, and the wizards thought that he only played good because it was a contract year.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Cleveland overpaid to get Hughes he's not worth what they gave him when Lebron demands $90 million they'll be stuck with an expensive backcourt. Gilbert Arenas is worth more than Hughes and more deserving of a big contract Washington should be fine

1 - 20 of 24 Posts