Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If J-Will is gone....

....and we are unable to trade the pick, who do we take?

Wagner?
Dunleavy?
Ming?
Butler?
Woods?
Niko?
Gooden?

:confused:

·
Registered
510 Posts
No trade huh? You are making it tough. I think Dunleavy has a big future and Butler is ready now. I'd take Ming to trade him but that is not allowed here. I like Gooden but we don't need a 4. I'll go with Dunleavy.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am sure if J-Will is gone we will have a trade lined up, but this is just in case all hell breaks loose.

By the way, I would take Wagner.....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wagner is talented and can score. I am just not sure about him. I would have loved to see him play another year of college, I'd have a better handle on him.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing I like about Wagner is that he meshes well with Tyson and Eddy, being from the same H.S. class. He led his team to an NIT champinship and he can flat out score. The main question is going to be his ability to run an NBA offense. I think he has this abilty, but he didn't get to show it at Memphis becuase he was forced to play out of position for the better of the team.

I think he is a guy that Krause has his eye on........

·
Registered
510 Posts
There is a thread on RealGM that talks about Wagner's workout in Memphis, it has excerpts from the Insider and they rave about him. The one thing I am sure about Krause is that I am sure I have no idea who he wants. I wanted Curry last year, but Chandler was a shock. The same for Jamal Crawford. His stock was rising, but I never thought he would go that high. It is going to be a very interesting 4 weeks.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I read about the show he put on in Memphis... :D

Anyways, you are right about Krause. No one truly knows what he is thinking, but I know that he usually gets someone hat was not thought of or discussed, at least pertaining to what Krause supposedly "liked".

We still have a ways to go yet. I'm not sure if I'll make it...... :)

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
good thread guys! My choice? Dunleavy. He is the most ready of any of them after ming and jay will. If we had a little bit more veteran club than what we have, i wouldnt mind wagner. The way it stands it could take him a couple of years to really produce. We dont have that long now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know the Bulls like Dunleavy alot. But I don't like the way he's trying to manipulate the draft. Pass.

Wagner's an interesting guy. The problem is, I'm not reading anything about teams trying to position themselves so they can draft him. That makes me wonder if he's a reach with the #2 pick. Pass.

Woods and Butler both have background issues. Pass.

Gooden's a fine player. Is he an impact player? Does he fill a need? And with Chandler and Fizer on board, how many minutes do you think he's going to get? Pass.

Niko and Wilcox are projects, and that's just what we don't need right now. Pass.

When you sort through what's left after Jay Williams, and who would actually be deserving of the #2 overall pick in the draft, there is no doubt in my mind that the Bulls would select Yao Ming. How often does a team get a chance to draft a 7'5", 296 pound, 21 year old athlete with skills and enough international experience to ensure that he won't be overwhelmed by his transition to the NBA lifestyle.

Ming is an athlete, not a pituitary freak. However, Ming has never had the opportunity to play with other athletes. Neither Wang Zhi Zhi or Mengke Bateer would ever be mistaken for athletes. Put Ming on the floor with the likes of Crawford, Rose, Chandler and Curry and in his efforts to just keep up, Yao may find new levels to his game he never thought he had. This is a kid who's been on cruise control his entire basketball career. If he's got heart and a strong desire to excel, the time he spends working with Tyson and Eddy under the tutalage of Bill Cartwright will make him a force in the NBA.

And if he does have a chance to play for the Bulls, watch and see how all these "complex negotiations" seem to resolve themselves overnight. The Chinese want Yao in Chicago. They won't do anything to screw it up.

So, if Jay Williams goes #1 somehow, we'll just have to settle for watching Cartwright find ways of jamming three of the leagues most talented front court prospects down everybody elses throats. That could be fun.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
It has to be Yao

I have never been a disciple..but I think if he is there with Jay gone he is a must pick

·
Registered
510 Posts
For the record, I don't see Houston passing up Ming or trading their pick. Thet are an organization that has won championships and prefer quality to quantity. They took Olajuwon even though they had Sampson and more recently, traded quantity for quality twice. The first time for Steve Francis and the second time for Eddie Griffin. They know that it takes stars to get you to the top and a shot at a quality center is so rare, I don't see them being tempted to get quantity.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly!

I highly doubt that we would end up in a situation like this. We will have a few trade options and a few good players left to choose from. However, I really don't see Houston passing on Ming and even if they were to pass on him, that leaves us in an equally excellent position.

If all goes according to plan, we will have J-Will.....

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I want to correct my post. Over at the other board this was asked a while back. I said take the next best player. I said ming over there and should of said it here. I would want dunleavy you take the next best player.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If JWill is taken and can't make a trade I shoot myself :laugh:

Ok seriously I would look at:

Dunvely
Wagner
Q. Woods(NOTE I never see him play but I would watch him.)
C. Butler(I never see him play but I heard about him.)

Thats the guys I would look if we can't make a trade and Jay Williams is already taken.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
No Trades, that's very un-Jerry like. LOL

However, I would take Ming (song I can trade him when the no trade clause gets dropped from this thread....LOL)

If not Ming......

Then Butler, Woods, NT, Wagner in that order.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess I would probably go with Dunleavy, or Butler if Mr. Will is gone. Dunleavy could come in and play around 20 minutes and fit in good with this team.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like Butler and Dunleavy, with the edge to Butler. I don't think any of the guys in the draft, other than Williams, are worth rearranging your entire team around. You could plug either Butler or Dunleavy into the 3 spot seamlessly. I think Jalen is better off guarding the 2. He's just a little too skinny to guard SF's. They push him around and post him up. Jalen's scrappy, leans on these guys, and gets away with a lot of veteran fouls, but he ultimately has his hands full every night guarding guys who are 30 lbs. heavier. Against SG's, he can use his length to bother a shooter more effectively. Anyone who doubts his ability to defend a SG, just remember the '98 conference finals. He gave MJ everything he could handle on the defensive end, and then made MJ work on the other end to play D. They might have won that series if they played him a little more.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Originally posted by Sep
I like Butler and Dunleavy, with the edge to Butler. I don't think any of the guys in the draft, other than Williams, are worth rearranging your entire team around. You could plug either Butler or Dunleavy into the 3 spot seamlessly. I think Jalen is better off guarding the 2. He's just a little too skinny to guard SF's. They push him around and post him up. Jalen's scrappy, leans on these guys, and gets away with a lot of veteran fouls, but he ultimately has his hands full every night guarding guys who are 30 lbs. heavier. Against SG's, he can use his length to bother a shooter more effectively. Anyone who doubts his ability to defend a SG, just remember the '98 conference finals. He gave MJ everything he could handle on the defensive end, and then made MJ work on the other end to play D. They might have won that series if they played him a little more.
Great point! I only vaguely remember that series, but I do seem to remember Jalen's play being very impressive - and I suppose he was playing the 2 spot while he was matched up with Jordan. Using his speed on defense to chase people on the perimeter may be the right direction to push his game. If he gets beat off the dribble, they'll still have to contend with Curry and Chandler. Oooo... that's going to hurt so good!

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.../cs-020612bulls.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Bulls to greet special guest
Williams to meet players, media

The Bulls played gracious hosts Wednesday, opening the Berto Center for Maryland's Chris Wilcox to hold his Midwest workout for executives from eight interested lottery teams as well as Toronto.

Afterward some team executives raved about Wilcox. But with Tyson Chandler and Marcus Fizer in the fold, the Bulls aren't expected to use the second-overall pick on another power forward.

The serious business comes Thursday, when the Bulls begin a two-day session with Jay Williams.

The former Duke point guard and reigning college player of the year has been in Chicago since Saturday and has consistently sent platitudes the Bulls' way. The team will try to reciprocate.

The Bulls have arranged a Thursday news conference for Williams, and then general manager Jerry Krause and coach Bill Cartwright will be in a group that takes him to dinner.

Krause has asked some players to be at the Berto Center to meet Williams when he is scheduled to work out Friday. That session will include psychological testing and work with strength coach Al Vermeil.

Krause denied that Williams is receiving special attention.

But he embraced the idea that off-court character affects his draft-day decisions as much as on-court skill. Krause agreed that the Duke program—with players like former Bull Elton Brand, Shane Battier and Grant Hill—cultivates the former.

Williams carried a 3.6 grade-point average in high school and will complete the necessary course work this summer to receive his sociology degree from Duke in three years.

"Character [affects] who we draft and who we don't draft," Krause said. "We're very conscious of it. I want our guys to represent this city and this organization well.

"Duke does a good job with recruiting and has people with character. To get in that place, you have to have brains and character because you have to sustain the academics."

With Houston making progress on negotiations with Chinese center Yao Ming's handlers, Williams should be available. If the Bulls draft him, Krause envisions no problems in a backcourt crowded with young talent at point guard.

"Jamal Crawford's a man now and he can handle anything that happens to him," Krause said. "He's also a two-position player. He can play [shooting guard] very easily. Jamal's an ideal [point] or [shooting guard]. He's 6-6, he can shoot the heck out of the ball and can defend No. 2 guards."

Layups: Connecticut forward Caron Butler and possibly Michigan State guard Marcus Taylor will work out for the Bulls on Saturday … Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry, Fizer and possibly Dalibor Bagaric are among the 24 players who will attend the Pete Newell Big Man's Camp in Honolulu from Aug. 11-16. Bagaric's brother is getting married in Croatia on Aug. 10, and that could preclude his participation …

Pay for play: Yao is willing to pay the Shanghai Sharks and the Chinese Basketball Association if they allow him to enter the NBA draft.

"We feel Yao needs to compensate the club properly for their loss and for the CBA's loss," Yao's agent, Erik Zhang, told Houston television station KRIV on Wednesday. "Yao is China's Shaquille O'Neal."

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Krause is talking like Jamal will be here for awhile. He gives him glaring reviews. As for a guy like Fizer, all he can say is "He's improving".....

If Krause says Jamal is 6'6" then I for one believe him. He will need to work on strength to defend the 2 position, but he should be fine....

I wonder which players will meet up J-Will tomorrow? My guess is Jamal, Tyson, Eddy, and Jalen......

1 - 20 of 57 Posts