Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

If LA gets the #1 pick, who would they draft?

• Andrew Bogut

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Marvin Williams

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Chris Paul

• Deron Williams

• Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
I'd either take Bogut and hope for the best or I'd trade the pick to a team that desperately wants him. From what I've seen of him, Bogut seems like he has a very bright future in the NBA. He's got very good physical tools, despite lacking top-notch athleticism. He appears to be a legit seven footer. He's a beast on the glass and is a very good defender. He's got great skills offensively. I have just two reservations about him. Number one, I'm not sold on his level of competition. I've seen too many small conference players have great college careers, only to fizzle out in the NBA. I'm also worried about his passiveness on offense. The guy is a bit too unselfish for my liking. I would have liked to have seen him taking the ball to his man more often than he did in college. He got his teammates involved but it seemed like his teammates didn't always reciprocate. He could stand to be more selfish, that is all I'm saying. Other than that, I really like him. However, if a team that desperately wants him is willing to offer a boatload for him, I'd seriously consider trading the pick as well. A couple of key veteran players would do wonder for this team.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'd trade the 1st pick for Portland's pick (if it is 3 or 4) and Joel Pryzbilla. Draft Deron Williams.

Deron Williams
Kobe Bryant
Caron Butler
Lamar Odom (or Carlos Boozer, interchangeable)
Joel Pryzbilla/Chris Mihm

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I think the thread is asking what would Mitch do, not what would you do.

I think its obvious he drafts Bogut.

·
9,855 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
I think the thread is asking what would Mitch do, not what would you do.

I think its obvious he drafts Bogut.
It sounds like you don't really like Bogut. What would you do with the #1 pick?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I agree with Pinball. Mitch would go with the consensus #1 and take Bogut. The only way he'd trade it is if he got offered a no-brainer deal that nobody could turn down.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Pinball said:
It sounds like you don't really like Bogut. What would you do with the #1 pick?
Package it with Odom and make a hard run at Kevin Garnett.

Or package it with expiring contracts (Vlade, Atkins, George) for Elton Brand.

I don't think M.Williams should be on the radar unless something is done with the glut of forwards before the draft. And I'm skeptical on how D.Williams or Paul would do with Phil coaching. Basically I'm not sold enough on any rookie to not utilize the trade power of the #1.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
TheATLien said:
I bet everybody here would bash Mitch no matter who he picks. ;)
I doubt it. I absolutely hate Kupchak and I was all over his jock when he obtained Mihm and Marcus Banks.

Then when Danny Ainge went Ashton Kutcher and Punk'd Kupchak, I quickly jumped back on the "I hate Mitch" bandwagon.

You're only as good as your last move so if Mitch makes some smart moves this off-season he'll be cool with me.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
cmd34 said:
I doubt it. I absolutely hate Kupchak and I was all over his jock when he obtained Mihm and Marcus Banks.

Then when Danny Ainge went Ashton Kutcher and Punk'd Kupchak, I quickly jumped back on the "I hate Mitch" bandwagon.

You're only as good as your last move so if Mitch makes some smart moves this off-season he'll be cool with me.
:yes:

·
9,855 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
Package it with Odom and make a hard run at Kevin Garnett.

Or package it with expiring contracts (Vlade, Atkins, George) for Elton Brand.

I don't think M.Williams should be on the radar unless something is done with the glut of forwards before the draft. And I'm skeptical on how D.Williams or Paul would do with Phil coaching. Basically I'm not sold enough on any rookie to not utilize the trade power of the #1.
You know what? I like your first thought. Nothing would make this team better in the immediate future than another superstar to play alongside Kobe. I'd love to try and package a #1 pick and Odom to the Wolves for a player like KG. Who knows if Minnesota will bite but it's worth a try. A KG-Kobe duo would probably bring Phil back into the fold for good as well.

I also agree with your second point. Honestly, I don't like any big men or guards in this draft outside of Taft, Bogut, and Paul. They've all got obvious drawbacks. Derron Williams isn't particularly quick. Felton isn't as impactful as he should be. Marvin Williams is far too raw to make an immediate impact in the NBA. I just don't like alot of the talent outside of the top 3. If we don't land a very high pick, we might be better off trading our pick in a package to acquire another player.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
We would draft Andrew Bogut. I would want us to draft Chris Paul.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
No offense to the post author but I think the better question is what would we do if we landed the # 2 pick in the lottery?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i'd package the pick with Kobe and trade them for Shaq

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Bogut is going to be a player. I don't see that too unselfish quality that you see Pinball. I think Bogut is going to be a rich man's Pau Gasol. He has that kind of range, that kind of post game, and probably better defense.

Of course, if the #1 + Odom and Butler can get you Garnett, then do it. That is a no-brainer, but if the Lakers are in position to either be getting Bogut or Garnett for next season, that's a damn good position to be in.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
??
Kobe
??
KG
??

Cassell/Hudson
Sprewell/Hassell
Butler/Sczerbiak
Odom/Griffin
Bogut/Olowokandi

I'd like to see both teams :)

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Greg Ostertag! said:
??
Kobe
??
KG
??

Cassell/Hudson
Sprewell/Hassell
Butler/Sczerbiak
Odom/Griffin
Bogut/Olowokandi

I'd like to see both teams :)
Atkins
Kobe
George
KG
Mihm

As for Bogut, I want to make it clear that I think he'll be a good player. Unlike 90% of the posters here that have barely seen him play I'll openly admit I've only seen him play 6-10 times. I feel he'll make anywhere from 1-5 all-star teams and see him as a Brad Miller with a better work ethic.

·
9,855 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
Atkins
Kobe
George
KG
Mihm

As for Bogut, I want to make it clear that I think he'll be a good player. Unlike 90% of the posters here that have barely seen him play I'll openly admit I've only seen him play 6-10 times. I feel he'll make anywhere from 1-5 all-star teams and see him as a Brad Miller with a better work ethic.
I've only seen him play about 3-4 times but I generally liked what I saw from him. I think he's going to develop into a poor man's Tim Duncan. He probably won't be the dominant defender that Duncan is but I can see him developing into a similar rebounder and low post scorer. Some people have compared him to McHale or Divac but I see a combination of all 3 players when I watch him play. Even if he is only as good as Vlade, that's still an All Star caliber big man.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts