Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as it is becoming more and more apparent that college athletics as a whole will be put on hold at least for the fall, it is bringing up some questions.

1. Let's say fall sports are cancelled and are not able to be played at all in the spring. For football, that would mean a lot of scholarship athletes would in all likelihood get an extra year of eligibility, not to mention volleyball, soccer, etc. That's all well and good, but the scholarship situation would get way out of whack.
(A) Does the NCAA boost the number of scholarships for each sport?
(B) Where does all that extra money come from, esp given the huge amount of lost revenue for all the departments?
(C) Does the NCAA limit the number of scholarships a program can use this school year, regardless of how many a program may have available? So, even if say Penn State had 16 available football scholarships, they would only be able to sign a set amount of prospects to NLI's, such as 10 for this upcoming season. Otherwise, these rosters could become huge.

2. Some would say we would see a huge amount of transfers (I would argue that we already do). But here's the question, where would they go? If schools are only gonna lose a few players (to the pros, graduate and just move on, etc), there may not be many places where someone could transfer to in order to play right away or make an impact. However, that said, I'm sure there would be many underclassmen that would lose their mind as the person they were going to replace would still be there.

3. If some sports are going to have limited games (several less than the NCAA allows), like basketball will only play after the New Year as a potential example, can players opt out like they are in the pros right now? I mean, they aren't getting a full season of competition allowable per the NCAA rule book, it is due to something beyond their control and some may be legitimately fearful of their safety.

4. If spring sports are cancelled for the 2nd year in a row, what on earth happens to those student-athletes and their eligibility/scholarship?

I'm sure there are a ton of other issues/questions that will be there as well. These are just some that I am thinking about. Wondering if any of you have any or better yet, do you have some potential solutions you think may happen?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Take a look at the statements that AE schools put out a few months ago regarding their spring sport athletes. Essentially the athletes technically have another year of eligibility, but most schools did not go so far as to guarantee their scholarship for another year or to even assure them of a place on the team. In the most polite words possible, "Get on with your life, kid".

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take a look at the statements that AE schools put out a few months ago regarding their spring sport athletes. Essentially the athletes technically have another year of eligibility, but most schools did not go so far as to guarantee their scholarship for another year or to even assure them of a place on the team. In the most polite words possible, "Get on with your life, kid".
Yeah, I remember that. But that was then, and this is now. And it is going to affect a ton more student-athletes. I'm not so sure that same mindset will be ok, esp given the mental impact that this is having on so many.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts