Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at old drafts, and it's pretty depressing to look at the players who went either one, or two picks after the Nets picked (which discards the players that almost nobody thought would be stars, but went on to become stars anyways). Just think... if we had a better GM, we would have wound up with at least one of these players.

"With the 3rd pick, in the 1987 entry draft, the New Jersey Nets select Dennis Hopson"
"With the 5th pick, in the 1987 entry draft, the Seattle Supersonics select Scottie Pippen."

"With the 4th pick, in the 1988 entry draft, the New Jersey Nets select Chris Morris"
"With the 5th pick, in the 1988 entry draft, the Golden State Warriors select Mitch Richmond"

"With the 12th pick, in the 1989 entry draft, the New Jersey Nets select Mookie Blaylock"
"With the 14th pick, in the 1989 entry draft, the Golden State Warriors select Tim Hardaway"

"With the 1st pick, in the 1990 entry draft, the New Jersey Nets select Derrick Coleman"
"With the 2nd pick, in the 1990 entry draft, the Seattle Supersonics select Gary Payton"

"With the 2nd pick, in the 1991 entry draft, the New Jersey Nets select Kenny Anderson."
"With the 4th pick, in the 1991 entry draft, the Denver Nuggets select Dikembe Mutumbo"

Oh, what could have been... even one of those moves could have made a huge difference. I remember being very upset when we took Special K over Mutumbo (I was as fooled as everyone else about DC, and never really followed the draft that much before 1990)

A team of Mookie/Petrovic/Morris/Coleman/Mutumbo would have made some noise, and possibly would have kept Coleman serious about the game (he was still a 20/10 guy then, and having a team that balanced might have kept him hardworking)

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Yeah and later they made even bigger mistakes, really sad to see them, but now it's all better, and remember if history was changed like that, they most likely won't be where they are now.

-Petey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts