Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That's why I only vacation in Maine. Very civilized. I can walk into a Shaw's or a Hannaford and buy gin, vermouth and olives all in the same location and at a reasonable price. One can also pick up a six-pack if needed.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Can we point out how asinine it is that the tiebreaker rules punish the team that had to play the top seed twice? You shouldn't win a tiebreaker for being lucky enough to not have to play the undefeated top seed twice.

(I realize it's been the rule forever, but you should have to WIN a game to win a tiebreaker)
I don't believe that's true. The paragraph from the site says:

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.
a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

If I'm reading this correctly - which I may not be - it sounds like you would only get credit for a "less bad" .000 win percentage if you got down to a pair of tied teams that you're comparing against.

So first pass is UD - one team is 0-1, the other is 0-2, both win % are .000 - move on.

Where I think it would be in play would be if UR and URI had the same record, then DUQ and SBU tiebreak is total record against both UR and URI and then the "less bad" percentage would come into play, so 1-2 would be better than 1-3, 0-2 would be better than 0-3.

So I think this year's break between DUQ and SBU hit rule 2, and against UD (a singular opponent) they were both .000, so it did go down to record against UR.

·
Registered
552 Posts
So I think this year's break between DUQ and SBU hit rule 2, and against UD (a singular opponent) they were both .000, so it did go down to record against UR.
That's correct, and the A-10 confirmed it to me.

The problem is that the tiebreaker wording is incorrect. In the phrase "In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group," the "team" mention is completely extraneous because this situation only involves comparing to a group of tied teams. That one error has generated confusion for years.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Dayton's gonna take one for the team so we get at least 2, right?
Richmond is 37 in the NET rankings and will go up if they make it to the championship game, not needing to beat Dayton along the way. However I'd be more than happy if UMass beat VCU and then Dayton to help the conference out a bit more ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Wonder how much the Corona virus fears will impact attendance.
Have not sold tickets a A10 tournament book before but the most any session ticket has sold for is $25.
I'm the lowest price for semi and championship game and nothing yet. It's like flea market prices and no real demand.
Mostly from around NY, NY but did sell 2 tickets to a VA address for the UMass - VCU game. Not sure if I remember correctly but think they were for $7 a piece.

The attendance figures in following years should have an '*' noting the Corona virus.

footnote: Both did sell as had things to do tomorrow. So dumped them at $20 and $15 a ticket.

·
Piker
8,904 Posts
Wonder how much the Corona virus fears will impact attendance.
Have not sold tickets a A10 tournament book before but the most any session ticket has sold for is $25.
I'm the lowest price for semi and championship game and nothing yet. It's like flea market prices and no real demand.
Mostly from around NY, NY but did sell 2 tickets to a VA address for the UMass - VCU game. Not sure if I remember correctly but think they were for $7 a piece.

The attendance figures in following years should have an '*' noting the Corona virus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting path there for Fordham. They start out with GW, who they beat twice. Then they would take on Duquesne and then Rhode Island, who they played very closely each time they played.

Basically what I'm saying is.......Dayton and Fordham will represent the A10 well.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Interesting path there for Fordham. They start out with GW, who they beat twice. Then they would take on Duquesne and then Rhode Island, who they played very closely each time they played.

Basically what I'm saying is.......Dayton and Fordham will represent the A10 well.
I texted something similar to some friends, but I had Mason in the final.

Once I was done laughing, I recognized that what actually will happen is that we will lose to GW. Something about lightning not striking 3 times.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts