Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Well, I took the train (Metro North) into the City yesterday for work, as I did each day last week. I don't normally focus on the looks of people on the train, walking through Grand Central or the Manhattan sidewalks on the way to/from work. Commuters aren't generally singing High Ho High Ho, but there seemed to be plenty of concerned looks yesterday. At work we're limiting all non-essential travel, and our school district here in Westchester has cancelled all overnight travel for March and April, as well as all out-of-district field trips. Big disappointment for my HS senior son as his varsity baseball trip to Florida for Spring break was cancelled, and his friends music group trip to Universal in Orlando for this weekend was cancelled. Interscholastic sports is still a go. Several districts have closed for a period of time, and you've seen what Fordham did.

I do plan to take the train in on Thursday and make my way to Barclays for the Bonnies' game. Not looking forward to the ride on the 4 or 5 subway line though. Maybe beer will kill any Covid-19 germs?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I’m not sure what to think about COVID-19. I hope that it’s being over-hyped, but on the other hand, there is a young lady in our office who is struggling with am immune system that is rejecting a kidney transplant, and another co-worker in the middle of chemo treatments. I worry about these people.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Well, I took the train (Metro North) into the City yesterday for work, as I did each day last week. I don't normally focus on the looks of people on the train, walking through Grand Central or the Manhattan sidewalks on the way to/from work. Commuters aren't generally singing High Ho High Ho, but there seemed to be plenty of concerned looks yesterday. At work we're limiting all non-essential travel, and our school district here in Westchester has cancelled all overnight travel for March and April, as well as all out-of-district field trips. Big disappointment for my HS senior son as his varsity baseball trip to Florida for Spring break was cancelled, and his friends music group trip to Universal in Orlando for this weekend was cancelled. Interscholastic sports is still a go. Several districts have closed for a period of time, and you've seen what Fordham did.

I do plan to take the train in on Thursday and make my way to Barclays for the Bonnies' game. Not looking forward to the ride on the 4 or 5 subway line though. Maybe beer will kill any Covid-19 germs?
Would recommend a stronger dose of alcohol to kill any Covid-19 germs, perhaps a bourbon or a tequila.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
This should probably be it's own thread....

I’m not sure what to think about COVID-19. I hope that it’s being over-hyped, but on the other hand, there is a young lady in our office who is struggling with am immune system that is rejecting a kidney transplant, and another co-worker in the middle of chemo treatments. I worry about these people.
It's definitely being "hyped" because that's how the media works. They get money based on ratings/clicks/views. But it's a massive mistake to turn this (or anything) into a Talking Head Hot Take Topic: "Coronavirus: Serious concern or Media Hype?" It can be and is both.

Old people, young children and pregnant women are more likely to die from it, so they should be more careful, but INDIVIDUALLY, coronavirus is no big deal: You're laid up for a couple weeks out sick, recover, get your strength back and life goes on.

But it's VERY SERIOUS and a huge freaking deal for good reason because of "How does society function if X percent of society is out of commission with it at once?" The Dark Winter simulation shows that a smallpox biological attack would infect so many people at once that society would fall apart in 13 days. Now, corona is no where near smallpox (30% mortality rate vs 2 to 4%).

But THAT is why the paranoia is a good thing: Altering behaviors to curb the spread means we all take turns having the flu over the next six months and life goes on. Not altering behaviors and living life as usual means everyone gets it at the same time, and when that happens, the people who produce food aren't producing food, the people delivering food to retailers aren't delivering food, the retailers aren't open; no one is keeping power utilities and water utilities functioning because they're all out sick. And that's when people have to start running around like it's Purge Night to find the last bottle of Theraflu and last roll of toilet paper (or Twinkie if you're a Zombieland fan).

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
So you're saying there may be no fans in the stands for the First Four?
I find it really hard to believe there's going to be fans at every game of this NCAA Tournament. I think the NIT, CBI, CIT are going to be cancelled, and I am not going to be shocked at all if there's some very peculiar seedings to keep teams geographically close on Selection Sunday.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
This should probably be it's own thread....

It's definitely being "hyped" because that's how the media works. They get money based on ratings/clicks/views. But it's a massive mistake to turn this (or anything) into a Talking Head Hot Take Topic: "Coronavirus: Serious concern or Media Hype?" It can be and is both.

Old people, young children and pregnant women are more likely to die from it, so they should be more careful, but INDIVIDUALLY, coronavirus is no big deal: You're laid up for a couple weeks out sick, recover, get your strength back and life goes on.

But it's VERY SERIOUS and a huge freaking deal for good reason because of "How does society function if X percent of society is out of commission with it at once?" The Dark Winter simulation shows that a smallpox biological attack would infect so many people at once that society would fall apart in 13 days. Now, corona is no where near smallpox (30% mortality rate vs 2 to 4%).

But THAT is why the paranoia is a good thing: Altering behaviors to curb the spread means we all take turns having the flu over the next six months and life goes on. Not altering behaviors and living life as usual means everyone gets it at the same time, and when that happens, the people who produce food aren't producing food, the people delivering food to retailers aren't delivering food, the retailers aren't open; no one is keeping power utilities and water utilities functioning because they're all out sick. And that's when people have to start running around like it's Purge Night to find the last bottle of Theraflu and last roll of toilet paper (or Twinkie if you're a Zombieland fan).
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but "paranoia" is never a good thing. I also think we're setting a dangerous precedent with cancellations and suspensions because as we go forward this is only going to expand - maybe to cases of common flu or worse, common cold - and we're going to unnecessarily hamper society and the economy.

The media has brought on the skepticism themselves by over-hyping and blowing practically everything out of proportion for the better part of 2 decades. It's why nobody gives a shit when they predict a hurricane, forecast 2 foot snowstorms, or report on a widespread disease outbreak. How many times is something going to be the BIGGEST, WORST ever?

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, but "paranoia" is never a good thing. I also think we're setting a dangerous precedent with cancellations and suspensions because as we go forward this is only going to expand - maybe to cases of common flu or worse, common cold - and we're going to unnecessarily hamper society and the economy.

The media has brought on the skepticism themselves by over-hyping and blowing practically everything out of proportion for the better part of 2 decades. It's why nobody gives a shit when they predict a hurricane, forecast 2 foot snowstorms, or report on a widespread disease outbreak. How many times is something going to be the BIGGEST, WORST ever?
Well, I like to be informed and then it is my choice whether I become paranoid.

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Right.. they should "inform". Not induce paranoia. If you personally want to b paranoid, knock yourself out. Their job is to report, get experts, and give an objective factual report.
I think that they do provide good information that is factual aside from the blowhard rabbling. As with anything you take out of it what you want. Back when I worked in news... commentary by anchors was frowned upon but that changed with 24 hour cable outlets and the internet. When the pandemic hit in 1918 those people probably wished they had more information. Anyway, I get what you are saying.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts

Well, I'll probably get thrashed by '85 for this, but I will not be heading to Brooklyn tomorrow. Perhaps it's an overreaction. But, I've come to the conclusion that I would simply be selfish if I go. I'll stay home and watch on TV, as much for my family and others I come into contact with regularly, as for my own well-being.

Besides, Bill Russell won't be there since he doesn't like NYC. Hell, Lester probably won't go either.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Well, I'll probably get thrashed by '85 for this, but I will not be heading to Brooklyn tomorrow. Perhaps it's an overreaction. But, I've come to the conclusion that I would simply be selfish if I go. I'll stay home and watch on TV, as much for my family and others I come into contact with regularly, as for my own well-being.

Besides, Bill Russell won't be there since he doesn't like NYC. Hell, Lester probably won't go either.
No thrashing.. you left it up to your own personal choice. It wasn't made for you. The way it should be.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
It is disappointing though. i have been looking forward to the tourney, even though I have little confidence in the Bonnies after the way they closed out the season losing 3 of 4 to piss away the double bye.

·
Piker
8,978 Posts
Sounding like Ohio will not allow fans at the first four or Cleveland NCAA tournament games. Houston is also trending that way. If this is the case the NCAA should do it for all venues.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I watched a thing late last night (late) of basically THE GUY who's the expert on this stuff, wrote a book about it 3 years ago, and his "if this happened.... it would look like" is a word for word description of what's happening now. He said a few key things about paranoia/information.

"I'm not trying to scare you out of your wits, you need to be scared INTO your wits. I'm not TRYING to be scary, this stuff just IS SCARY. It's a new virus, we have no vaccine for it, we're not prepared, and this is our new way of life for the next few months. Hear that, accept it, and let's get to work."

So I agree the media sensationalizes so people watch/click, and then it turns into boy who cried wolf, and that's a bad thing. But that doesn't mean living in denial. The boys cried wolf a lot, but look at the wolf right there and adapt.

Again: We're all going to get this. It's going to be everywhere. And after you have it once, your immune system builds some antibodies and it's not as bad next time. This will become just another part of flu season in a few years. It's just going to suck in the interim.

The only thing we can focus on as a society is "We can't all get this at once."

81 - 100 of 105 Posts