9. Duquesne 7-7 .500
10. Rhode Island 7-10 .412
11. George Washington 3-5 .375
12. La Salle 6-11 .353
13. Saint Joseph’s 3-9 .182 250
14. Fordham 2-11 .154

* SLU beat UMass

----------------------
Teams above 60 percent of the median number of conference games played by all 14 teams will be seeded by conference winning percentage. Teams below that 60 percent threshold will be seeded using the NCAA NET ranking, relative to all A-10 teams. Additionally, teams below the 60 percent threshold will not be eligible for the regular season title.

The following tiebreaker format is utilized for determining the seeding in the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship:

Two-Team Tie
1. Head-to-head competition.

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

Three or More-Team Tie

1. Head-to-head competition.

a. Use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than performance
against individual teams. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher
winning percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of
1.000 or .000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

2. If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.

3. If more than two teams still remain, use the Conference record of the tied teams based on
winning percentage versus the highest common opponent and proceeding down to the
lowest common opponent, if necessary, until one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000,
the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

4. Draw lots.

NOTE: All ties will be broken in descending order. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against individual teams. Once ties are broken, they remain broken throughout the tie-breaker process.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As always, let me know if there are any mistakes.
I am not listing opponents remaining since the schedules are so fluid
UMass gets really screwed drawing St Louis in the quarter in this first edition.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Seeing SLU at 13 really shows how nutty this season has been and likely will continue to be.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
As always, let me know if there are any mistakes.
I am not listing opponents remaining since the schedules are so fluid
UMass gets really screwed drawing St Louis in the quarter in this first edition.
That is assuming SLU gets there...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bump after A10 curveball last night. Still dont know if they are right. Havent updated the actual games yet but the seed list is correct as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of seeding based on win pct for some and NET for others.

The Bonnies have played 3 more games than UMass, and UMass is clearly 6-2 because they've played 7 games against the bottom six of the league and are 0-1 against teams with a winning A-10 record (L to Davidson). The Bonnies are 3-2 vs teams with winning A-10 records, and 4-1 vs the bottom. That's CLEARLY the difference.

Are we better off saying "Hey, we had some kids exposed to a positive test, so out of an abundance of caution, we're skipping the last two games" so we get seeded by NET instead of A-10 win pct? That ain't right.

Take the average of team's NET seeding, their Win Pct Seeding and you get a pretty good representation of what's happened in the A-10 this year; VCU, BONA, SLU, DC, RICH, UMASS, UD, DUQ, URI, GMU, GW, LAS, FORD, SJU

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of seeding based on win pct for some and NET for others.

The Bonnies have played 3 more games than UMass, and UMass is clearly 6-2 because they've played 7 games against the bottom six of the league and are 0-1 against teams with a winning A-10 record (L to Davidson). The Bonnies are 3-2 vs teams with winning A-10 records, and 4-1 vs the bottom. That's CLEARLY the difference.

Are we better off saying "Hey, we had some kids exposed to a positive test, so out of an abundance of caution, we're skipping the last two games" so we get seeded by NET instead of A-10 win pct? That ain't right.

Take the average of team's NET seeding, their Win Pct Seeding and you get a pretty good representation of what's happened in the A-10 this year; VCU, BONA, SLU, DC, RICH, UMASS, UD, DUQ, URI, GMU, GW, LAS, FORD, SJU
I have an idea, I know you will love. Get rid of the NCAA committee and pick at-large by their KenPom rating...

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
KenPom
St Louis 35
VCU 43
Bona 51
UR 62
Dav 66
URI 77
Day 84
UMass 106
Duq 111
Mason 140
LaS 186
GW 208
St Joe 214
Ford 292

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I have an idea, I know you will love. Get rid of the NCAA committee and pick at-large by their KenPom rating...
KenPom is also secret sauce. And also not used for what the committee is trying to do. There's a difference between "BEST TEAM" and most deserving.
Every year in baseball, you have a team that has tremendous talent on paper and then doesn't make the playoffs. "Hey, Sorry Atlanta Braves, you won 94 games, but the 84-win Mets have sexier names, so they get a playoff spot" That's what the NCAA committee is doing every year.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bump after 2/12. Winning % added as well as remaining opponents

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
If there was ever a year for the league to modify the tournament and kindly tell the bottom 4, or more, teams that it is best that they sit this one out, it is this year. Nothing good can come from having those teams at the conference tournament in normal years, but this year you can add risk of virus spread added to the mix.

Can you imagine Fordham making a mini-run (humor me), facing one of the top teams on the 3rd day of the tournament and knocking them out, not because they beat them, but because they had a positive Covid test and put the other team at risk?

I am sure it would be controversial, but it should be done.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts