Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...who would you think will be put in the guard spots?

Seems like all the good defensive team candidates are forwards or centers, which include Duncan, Marion, Kirilenko, B.Wallace, Camby, etc. Who are possible guard candidates who can be put in the d.teams? Seems like all the guards that were put in last year have not been as highly-touted defensively this year as they were last year (Kobe, Bowen, Christie, Kidd, etc).

The only one on my mind at the moment is Larry Hughes, but only because he leads the league in steals, and isn't that shabby a defender. How about players reputed to be "defensive stoppers", like Trenton Hassell, or even a rookie like Andre Iguodala?

Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Kirilenko should be on the team, the only thing to keep him off is his injuries, but he's played solid defensive none the less. I haven't watch Bowen much this year, but he's always been a pesty defender, and it's tough to de-thown the guys who won first team the year before. Ben Wallace is another guy I've seen play excellent defense. Kobe, contrary to popular belief, I expect to make the all league team. LA is a poor defensive team as a unit, but Kobe has locked down and played to his ability at times this year. Camby and Martin have teamed up nicely help one another, watch for one of them to make a team or at least get some votes. Also give Hughes some props, he's done his part.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Iguodala is really good at guarding guards and small forwards. As usual there's Bowen and Hassell who are considered elite defenders at the wing positions. Not many great perimeter defenders come to mind this season.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Kirk Hinrich is evil and represents the best D team in the league.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I think Andre Iguodala should make an all-defensive team this year for sure. Last week, he held Kobe and LeBron to 9/35 shooting (check out this article on him and his defense LINK ), has held Paul Pierce to 5/15...he is a tremendous defender, great at getting steals and getting several blocks isn't uncommon for him. You should really watch him defend, he is great.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
As someone mentioned in the "Kobe..." thread, the All-Defensive Teams do not recognize the best defenders in the NBA. If that were the case, lesser known players would take the honors. It is more of a popularity contest where usually more-known players are selected despite not being the best defender at their position. Example, the 03-04 team partly consisted of Doug Christe, Jason Kidd, and Kobe Bryant. The fore-mentioned players are hardly the best defending guards in the league. Yes, they are good, but not better than great defenders like Pietrus, Posey, and Hassell. This year, don't expect anything different. The players that deserve the honors (Igoudala, Banks, Allen, Pietrus) will certainly not recieve it. Oh well. Frank Sinatra put it best: "That's Life".

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
JKidd. Still a very good one-on-one defender, and the best Team Defender I've ever seen. When you watch what he's able to do against big guys on switches in the post... its unreal. The best 'soft' double teamer in the league. And the best rebounding PG.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mellow-dramatik said:
no one ever mentions prince
I would, but he's a forward, and probably will not make the list over other candiadates.

Maybe 2nd team.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts