Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the first three spots in the draft are the ones actually selected in the lottery, if all those spots go to teams that aren't the Hawks or Bobcats, then as of today, the Hawks would get the 4th spot and the Bobcats the 5th. Do you consider this draft deep enough at the top to use the 5th pick or would you be willing to trade it down for multiple picks?

For example the Nuggets will have their first round pick and Washington's pick. Add those two picks to the Cleveland pick that the Bobcats already own, and the roster could be greatly improved with quality depth. So the question comes down to this, is there a player that would be available with the 5th pick that is so much better than 2 mid first round picks?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Are you sure about Denver having two first round picks? Cause I see Orlando, having Washington's pick(Haywood trade). As I see it no. The only way we should keep our pick is if we can aquire Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, or Rudy Gay(Not sure about any foriegn prospects we have our eyes on). If all of these players are gone by our 5th pick, then we should definetly trade down. Say we get three picks at the 13 18 and 20th picks. 13th we take Granger, Graham, Wright or Winston. 18th Petro, Villanueva, Warrick or Diogu. 20th J.Jack, L.Williams, R.Fernandez, F.Garcia.

And say we end up with Winston, Petro, and Jack

We get a SG, C, and PG. An upgrade at all of our weakest positions. This will give us an increase for depth and save us lots of money towards future FA's. Two things can become of this draft. One we come out with a franchise player or two we end up with depth and an all-around better team.

Reactions: cpawfan

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the Nuggets do have Washington's pick. It was acquired in the Jameer Nelson trade. The pick was top 13 protected for 2005, so unless the Wizards lose all of their remaining games, the Nuggets should have it.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
If you don't get Bogut, Paul, Gay, or Williams, I say the next move should be trading down. There are so many swingman available in the teens it's not even funny. Mccants, Garcia, Graham, and more. I think you would be best served to draft one of them, and then either Jarrett Jack(if available) or Hakim Warrick. There are a lot of underclassmen/HS prospects (what's new) that aren't for sure in or out, so that's even more reason to consider trading down. If you can't get a true blue chipper, this is definitely a deep enough draft to trade down and still get solid players.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Deron Williams, no questions IMO

Trade down to around the 8th pick and draft Deron Williams, dude has AMAZING court vision and is a good defender -- also steps up in the clutch

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Two mid first round picks, no. Proven NBA player or two picks and another protected pick, yes.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
If they were at #5 and had to pick, I think Deron Williams would be the best choice.

However, I think an ideal situation (if they fell to #5) would be to trade the #5 for Toronto's 2 1sts (assuming they aren't in top 3), which are in the late lottery. If Toronto would go for that, Charlotte could be starting a backcourt of Ray Felton and Monta Ellis next year.

Felton
Ellis
Wallace (re-sign)
Okafor
Brezec

...I like that lineup for Charlotte. They struggle again next year as Felton and Ellis get adjusted to NBA, Wallace and Brezec continue to improve, Emeka continues to be Emeka, and maybe land Rudy Gay in 2006 (Wallace becomes 6th man).

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RebelSun said:
However, I think an ideal situation (if they fell to #5) would be to trade the #5 for Toronto's 2 1sts (assuming they aren't in top 3), which are in the late lottery.
My understanding is the Raptors have the 76ers pick in addition to theirs. As it stands now, Philly is in the Playoffs, so that pick would be outside of the lottery, but not by much. So yes, the 2 Raptors picks would be more attractive than the Nuggets 2 picks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts