Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who/what would you want back? Personally, I don't want to trade Kidd at all, but if it were to come to pass (stranger things have happened), what would YOU be looking for in the swap?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The Nets will not trade Kidd. All you have to do is look at the marketing campaign featuring the trio of Kidd, Carter and RJ. The team is offering autographed jerseys for season ticket holders.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
SeaNet said:
Who/what would you want back? Personally, I don't want to trade Kidd at all, but if it were to come to pass (stranger things have happened), what would YOU be looking for in the swap?
Interesting question. I would want back at least 2 starters and at least 1 future 1 round pick. 1 of which must be at an all-star level.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
NetIncome said:
The Nets will not trade Kidd. All you have to do is look at the marketing campaign featuring the trio of Kidd, Carter and RJ. The team is offering autographed jerseys for season ticket holders.
The NBA is filled with examples of players that were once featured in their former team's marketing efforts.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
NetIncome said:

I believe Kenyon was on some billboards that went up last spring.

Things change, Bobbo.

I don't want to see it happen, but I wouldn't say that the fact they're giving away Kidd jerseys is proof that he'll be back. Thorn and Stefanski's statements that they'd have to be blown away by an offer is more convincing to me than a giveaway, even after Thorn's "We've gone the furthest we can" statement last summer.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
As the season progressed, Thorn has said all along unless a package blows him a way, Kidd is staying. What is Thorn after? I'd say, 1 stud power player, 1 decent point guard, a prospect and/or future unprotected picks. I think those are the 3 pieces that will get it done.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
schub said:
I don't want to see it happen, but I wouldn't say that the fact they're giving away Kidd jerseys is proof that he'll be back. Thorn and Stefanski's statements that they'd have to be blown away by an offer is more convincing to me than a giveaway, even after Thorn's "We've gone the furthest we can" statement last summer.
You never really know, it's a business. They can use those (what's been said and what is being done) as leverage to increase their trade values.
I hope they won't trade any of the three though.
But if forced (read: blown away by an offer), I would say Kidd's equivalent is another All Star and another starter packaged with a first round pick, similar to what others are saying here. :makeadeal

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
cpawfan said:
I predict some comments about how Kenyon isn't at Kidd's level so the situations aren't comparable.
Kidd has what 5 more years under contract. Kenyon was in his final season. Plus I'm pretty sure, the ad had more to do with the old ownership than the new one.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Younger All-Star worthy point, pick or a younger player to boot.

Not sure though.

-Petey

·
Registered
428 Posts
Kenyon isn't at Kidd's level so the situations aren't comparable.

Thorn never thought Kenyon Martin was worth what he got from Denver. Although I am sure he hated to lose Martin, he still believes that he can win a title by putting the right pieces around Jason Kidd. Trading Jason Kidd means starting over, and at this point in Thorn's career, unless Kidd became entirely disruptive and unmanageable (as opposed to just mildly disruptive, but manageable) I can't imagine Thorn trading him. This is Thorn's last stop and he has rolled the dice with Jason Kidd.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
NetsRoll said:
Thorn never thought Kenyon Martin was worth what he got from Denver. Although I am sure he hated to lose Martin, he still believes that he can win a title by putting the right pieces around Jason Kidd. Trading Jason Kidd means starting over, and at this point in Thorn's career, unless Kidd became entirely disruptive and unmanageable (as opped to just mildly disruptive, but manageable) I can't imagine Thorn trading him. This is Thorn's last stop and he has rolled the dice with Jason Kidd.
I agree with that. (I'll add that Thorn didn't have to pay Kenyon what he got from Denver. He had to just make more of an effort than he did - which wasn't his fault.)

I think most of us here wouldn't deal Kidd unless he became "entirely disruptive and unmanageable" either, but that happening is certainly a possibility. Kidd hasn't been gung-ho on the Nets since '01-02.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me, I look at what Orlando got for TMac, an All-Star and two starters, and I say that's what I'm looking for. Of course, if the All-Star was good enough that could lessen the need for the two other starters, but IMO, JKidd is a top 5 player and a better player (he contributes more towards winning an NBA game) than TMac. He is older, but what Orlando got for TMac would be the starting point for me. Mix and match w/ some high draft choices, etc.

Also, if a topflight PG was coming back, I'd want it to be Bibby. I love that man's game. He is both a scorer and a true PG, and that's a tough balancing act. Marbury certainly doesn't handle it well.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NetsRoll said:
Thorn never thought Kenyon Martin was worth what he got from Denver. Although I am sure he hated to lose Martin, he still believes that he can win a title by putting the right pieces around Jason Kidd. Trading Jason Kidd means starting over, and at this point in Thorn's career, unless Kidd became entirely disruptive and unmanageable (as opposed to just mildly disruptive, but manageable) I can't imagine Thorn trading him. This is Thorn's last stop and he has rolled the dice with Jason Kidd.
I agree w/ this analysis as the most likely outcome of the situation. However, stranger things have happened....

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
SeaNet said:
Also, if a topflight PG was coming back, I'd want it to be Bibby. I love that man's game. He is both a scorer and a true PG, and that's a tough balancing act. Marbury certainly doesn't handle it well.
He's younger and would fit in well with Jefferson and VC.

-Petey

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
NetsRoll said:
Kenyon isn't at Kidd's level so the situations aren't comparable.

As players no, but if the argument is going to be made that Kidd wouldn't be traded because of his importance to marketing, then they are comparable. That said, the decision(s) about Kidd's future with the Nets will be made based up championship potential, not marketing.

The only examples of teams being built around Kidd were the attempts at backcourt 2000 in Phoenix and the Nets acquisitions of Deke, Rodney and Zo. As great of a player as Kidd is, I believe his greatest impact on a team is when he first arrives. I'm not convinced that a championship team can be built around him, especially without maintaining a large part of the core players that bought into Kidd when he first arrived. It would be nice to be proven wrong.

Also as with so many of the great players, Kidd is unique and looking at history for what other players at his position/age have done doesn't really tell you anything. Jason's biggest challange will be to regrab the attention of the lockerroom and get everyone on his page. He has never been any place long enough to show that he can do it and now is his chance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
cpawfan said:
As players no, but if the argument is going to be made that Kidd wouldn't be traded because of his importance to marketing, then they are comparable. That said, the decision(s) about Kidd's future with the Nets will be made based up championship potential, not marketing.

I agree. I do not think that Kidd's future with the Nets will have anything to do with marketing. In fact, from a marketing perspective, you can argue that RJ and Carter are more "marketable" and Kenyon was also very "marketable." My opinion is based on the fact that the history of the NBA has proven that you need a Hall of Fame player in his primeto win an NBA title (last years Pistons team being the only exception in the last 25 years). Thorn understands Kidd's value, and while everything you say later in your post may be correct, the chances of the Nets winning a title in the next 3 years (as small or large as they may be) are greater with Kidd than with anything I can imagine the Nets getting in return for Kidd.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
NetsRoll said:
I agree. I do not think that Kidd's future with the Nets will have anything to do with marketing. In fact, from a marketing perspective, you can argue that RJ and Carter are more "marketable" and Kenyon was also very "marketable." My opinion is based on the fact that the history of the NBA has proven that you need a Hall of Fame player in his primeto win an NBA title (last years Pistons team being the only exception in the last 25 years). Thorn understands Kidd's value, and while everything you say later in your post may be correct, the chances of the Nets winning a title in the next 3 years (as small or large as they may be) are greater with Kidd than with anything I can imagine the Nets getting in return for Kidd.
I'm willing to give this season a pass, because Thorn's hands were tied in free agency and Kidd was injuried to start the season, but real success will only come if everybody is on the same page as Kidd. One of the reasons I was excited about getting Cliff and why I would like to see Thorn pick up his option is because he is already on the same page as Kidd. Unless the 05-06 Nets drink the Kool-Aid in preseason the way the 01-02 Nets did, that team won't go very far. The bigger question is, will Kidd mix up a package of Kool-Aid next fall.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts