Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
We have to do 3 simple things

1.

Trade for a vet big now that can play defense. Now goddamnit. Cap Space be damned . Please for the love of sweet Jesus ..just do it and let my Cameron go ( for Tyson's benefit ) So what if it may chew between $5M to $7M next summer ..we're going to be looking at paying that kind of money and more for guys that will be on the market where the value proposition will be more questionable ( at least for me )

GET A [edit] BIG BAD AZZ NOW. SIZE IS EVERYTHING

Nothing sexy and no I won't do the rump slapping bareback vault onto my favourite vet big man hobby horses..as this will drive everyone insane ...and I refrain..even though I'm feeling the pain ..but we need to gain ...some size...Pax has to realise..Scott says he's the miser...not going to spend the dough on his watch..do it [edit] or else the basketballboards.net posse will take your crotch .. as trophy...got it dopey ?..Okey Dokey ?

2.

OK catharic verse over ...

Start Luol Deng

Luol needs to up his rebounding output and get a greater level of consistency to his defense because ....


3.

We need to start Tim Thomas with Luol Deng at forward

The big we acquire would balance out with Sweets at PF as reserve big man scorer with Othella being the back up post scoring option

We use Noc's energy as a bench defender where he's best suited

And of course Ben teams with Sweets as being the one two punch in our 2nd unit ..Pike and Baz take spot duty as required

Jannero stays in his role

Darius Songaila and Malik Allen retain a break glass in case of emergency status

I don't give a square root that TT isn't Dudley Do Right enough for Scott Skiles and doesn't leave an apple for Pax on his desk as he leaves training sessions..doesn't polish his whistle or whatever bizzaro man love mind games Pax has got going on with the rest of future enterprisers

Just win baby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
I was perusing over boxscores tonight, and I noticed that Anderson Varajeo is getting practically no burn in Cleveland. If we could pick him up on the cheap, I think he'd be a good addition for us. He's got legit size, and he's a strong rugged guy inside, so he'd free up Chandler to play more off the ball, and that would probably help him out a bit. Besides, maybe if we picked him up, it'd give us an inside track on Nene.

Really, I think we're missing AD more than we think. If we could get someone similar to him, to give us some size and strength down low, even for 20 minutes a game, I think we'd be a lot better off than we are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Also, with our problems inside, it makes me a little disappointed that we apparently were never in the running for Jamal Magloire. Having him for 30 minutes a night would've gone a long way towards plugging our hole in the middle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
rosenthall said:
Also, with our problems inside, it makes me a little disappointed that we apparently were never in the running for Jamal Magloire. Having him for 30 minutes a night would've gone a long way towards plugging our hole in the middle.
But we couldn't compete with an offer of Des Mason's 7 ppg on 34% shooting and $7.2M salary.

Yeah, he'll get a little bit better than he's shown so far., but he's never rated out at anything more than an OK starting quality player, and he's paid like one of the better ones. He rated out as the 41st best guy at the SG and SF positions in my system last year. He's the definition of overpaid mediocrity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,149 Posts
And FJ, if we aren't making the playoffs this year, its because our current talent is not as good as is commonly supposed. And if it's not as good, it makes our cap space and picks all the more important because they're the only other assets we have to make us a champ.

Picking up some overpaid slug ain't gonna get it done now either for now or in the future. Most importantly, we need a guy who brings some offense to the table, not a big body. We're getting out-muscled, yes, but on the whole we're still a pretty good defensive team.

-----------------

Do we actually have a trade exception from the trade? Offering a pick and the exception might get us an actually talented player if we do - Jon Bender, Jeff Foster, Primoz Brezec, Melvin Ely... someone who might actually be a long-run help to us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,963 Posts
rosenthall said:
I was perusing over boxscores tonight, and I noticed that Anderson Varajeo is getting practically no burn in Cleveland. If we could pick him up on the cheap, I think he'd be a good addition for us. He's got legit size, and he's a strong rugged guy inside, so he'd free up Chandler to play more off the ball, and that would probably help him out a bit. Besides, maybe if we picked him up, it'd give us an inside track on Nene.
Varejao had shoulder surgery before the season started and hasn't been available to play yet this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
MJG said:
Varejao had shoulder surgery before the season started and hasn't been available to play yet this year.
Ahhh. Point taken.
 

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
Joined
·
3,012 Posts
SausageKingofChicago said:
We have to do 3 simple things

1.

Trade for a vet big now that can play defense. Now goddamnit. Cap Space be damned . Please for the love of sweet Jesus ..just do it and let my Cameron go ( for Tyson's benefit ) So what if it may chew between $5M to $7M next summer ..we're going to be looking at paying that kind of money and more for guys that will be on the market where the value proposition will be more questionable ( at least for me )

GET A [edit] BIG BAD AZZ NOW. SIZE IS EVERYTHING

Nothing sexy and no I won't do the rump slapping bareback vault onto my favourite vet big man hobby horses..as this will drive everyone insane ...and I refrain..even though I'm feeling the pain ..but we need to gain ...some size...Pax has to realise..Scott says he's the miser...not going to spend the dough on his watch..do it [edit] or else the basketballboards.net posse will take your crotch .. as trophy...got it dopey ?..Okey Dokey ?

3.

We need to start Tim Thomas with Luol Deng at forward

We use Noc's energy as a bench defender where he's best suited
There's a guy I'd like Paxson to take a look. PJ Brown. Brown can really help this team with his experience, tough defense, leadership, and still solid offense. He can really help Chandler in guarding the post. Adding Brown, I think is not a bad idea because apart from his skill, he's contract is not that bad. He's earning 8 mil dollar a year and he's contract ends on Summer 2007. We're still going to have our cap space for the Summer 2007 FA Market. I'm willing to sacrifice the Summer 2006 FA, because Summer 2007 FA has better talent. And also in Summer 2006, Looks like we're going to have 2 picks late lottery to mid first round picks. So we'll have nice additions looking at Pax draft history.

So, who can we offer to the Hornets for PJ Brown?

Tim Thomas - why the Hornets would do this? Expiring contract and Tim's scoring ability. Currently the Hornets leading scorer is... Speedy Claxton with 17 ppg, followed by Chris Paul 15 ppg. When two of your PGs are your leading scorer, you know you have a problem. JR Smith, is still very streaky. Tim Thomas can at least provide them instant offense at SF. And if they don't like him, his contract is up at the end of the year. Thomas is a low risk mid to high reward for them. With all respect to the Hornets fans and organization, they're not competing for the playoff this year. Why not take chance?
But there is also another reason why this trade is not going to work, the Hornets' frontcourt is very inexperienced and not very deep too. We might have to include a big man in the trade and the player I'm willing to let go is Songaila or Allen (who probably won't be able to completely fill Brown's void) along with Thomas. And we might have to take another player to match the salary. If I can choose, I'd take George Lynch's contract.

What about Tim Thomas + Nocioni for PJ Brown and ??? Mason? (yeah, I wish) or Nachbar (eek!)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
PJ Brown would be a nice pickup, but we don't have the pieces to get him. Another option would be Ratliff, his contract is in the 11-12mill range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
The best thing to do this season is to make no trades. We arent going to do anything special this season anyways. We can prob compete for the playoffs but no way we win a series since it will prob be vs one of Indiana, Detroit, or Heat.

Next season we have the cap room to add 2 impact players and with the 1st round talent.... thats when we can make a serious run especially if we get some good picks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Next season we have the cap room to add 2 impact players and with the 1st round talent.... thats when we can make a serious run especially if we get some good picks.
I don't see us getting a decent pick unless we trade up.

And for the impact players, i reckon we'd have more of a shot to get Pierce now, who would be an excellent pickup considering how inconsistent our guards and wingmen have been. It would probably mean parting with Gordon/Deng.

1) Duhon, Pierce, Deng etc, Hinrich off the bench, Pierce can play the 3 at times too.
2) Duhon, Hinrich, Pierce etc, Gordon off the Bench.

Then in the offseason we could really push to get Al Harrington or another big guy. After that i reckon we'd be pretty much set.
 

·
Lux Tax Avoider
Joined
·
5,988 Posts
rosenthall said:
Ahhh. Point taken.
Some sites, most notably Yahoo, haven't figured out what to do with the new 15-man rosters. They just list all 15 guys without telling you who's inactive and who got DNP-CDs.

ESPN's boxes, on the other hand, only list guys who play, period. NBA.com's are probably the best -- they won't tell you who's inactive, but they will list the entire twelve-man active roster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,975 Posts
SausageKingofChicago said:
We have to do 3 simple things

1.

Trade for a vet big now that can play defense. Now goddamnit. Cap Space be damned . Please for the love of sweet Jesus ..just do it and let my Cameron go ( for Tyson's benefit ) So what if it may chew between $5M to $7M next summer ..we're going to be looking at paying that kind of money and more for guys that will be on the market where the value proposition will be more questionable ( at least for me )

GET A [edit] BIG BAD AZZ NOW. SIZE IS EVERYTHING

Nothing sexy and no I won't do the rump slapping bareback vault onto my favourite vet big man hobby horses..as this will drive everyone insane ...and I refrain..even though I'm feeling the pain ..but we need to gain ...some size...Pax has to realise..Scott says he's the miser...not going to spend the dough on his watch..do it [edit] or else the basketballboards.net posse will take your crotch .. as trophy...got it dopey ?..Okey Dokey ?

2.

OK catharic verse over ...

Start Luol Deng

Luol needs to up his rebounding output and get a greater level of consistency to his defense because ....


3.

We need to start Tim Thomas with Luol Deng at forward

The big we acquire would balance out with Sweets at PF as reserve big man scorer with Othella being the back up post scoring option

We use Noc's energy as a bench defender where he's best suited

And of course Ben teams with Sweets as being the one two punch in our 2nd unit ..Pike and Baz take spot duty as required

Jannero stays in his role

Darius Songaila and Malik Allen retain a break glass in case of emergency status

I don't give a square root that TT isn't Dudley Do Right enough for Scott Skiles and doesn't leave an apple for Pax on his desk as he leaves training sessions..doesn't polish his whistle or whatever bizzaro man love mind games Pax has got going on with the rest of future enterprisers

Just win baby
But... we had an awesome off-season, signing Songaila and Malik Allen!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,921 Posts
RSP83 said:
There's a guy I'd like Paxson to take a look. PJ Brown. Brown can really help this team with his experience, tough defense, leadership, and still solid offense. He can really help Chandler in guarding the post. Adding Brown, I think is not a bad idea because apart from his skill, he's contract is not that bad. He's earning 8 mil dollar a year and he's contract ends on Summer 2007. We're still going to have our cap space for the Summer 2007 FA Market. I'm willing to sacrifice the Summer 2006 FA, because Summer 2007 FA has better talent. And also in Summer 2006, Looks like we're going to have 2 picks late lottery to mid first round picks. So we'll have nice additions looking at Pax draft history.

So, who can we offer to the Hornets for PJ Brown?

Tim Thomas - why the Hornets would do this? Expiring contract and Tim's scoring ability. Currently the Hornets leading scorer is... Speedy Claxton with 17 ppg, followed by Chris Paul 15 ppg. When two of your PGs are your leading scorer, you know you have a problem. JR Smith, is still very streaky. Tim Thomas can at least provide them instant offense at SF. And if they don't like him, his contract is up at the end of the year. Thomas is a low risk mid to high reward for them. With all respect to the Hornets fans and organization, they're not competing for the playoff this year. Why not take chance?
But there is also another reason why this trade is not going to work, the Hornets' frontcourt is very inexperienced and not very deep too. We might have to include a big man in the trade and the player I'm willing to let go is Songaila or Allen (who probably won't be able to completely fill Brown's void) along with Thomas. And we might have to take another player to match the salary. If I can choose, I'd take George Lynch's contract.

What about Tim Thomas + Nocioni for PJ Brown and ??? Mason? (yeah, I wish) or Nachbar (eek!)?
No we won't have cap in 07(unless we rebuild again, so let us never speak of this again), almost everyone gets yearly raises and on top of that Kirk and Noce will be FA's.

The hornets will get a better offer than just cap relief for PJ, If Noce would do it I guess we would have to part for our beloved Nocioni, but more likely it would take a pick instead or on top of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
ScottMay said:
Some sites, most notably Yahoo, haven't figured out what to do with the new 15-man rosters. They just list all 15 guys without telling you who's inactive and who got DNP-CDs.

ESPN's boxes, on the other hand, only list guys who play, period. NBA.com's are probably the best -- they won't tell you who's inactive, but they will list the entire twelve-man active roster.
Right.

I was going off of ESPN's box scores, and it had DNP-CD's next to his name, thus inspiring my post.
 

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mikedc said:
And FJ, if we aren't making the playoffs this year, its because our current talent is not as good as is commonly supposed. And if it's not as good, it makes our cap space and picks all the more important because they're the only other assets we have to make us a champ.
I disagree Michael

I don't think its because our talent is not good enough . It is. Last year was no fluke ..and we had the Wiz down 2-0 without Curry and Deng and a banged up Duhon

My point is if we address our structural problems now rather than wait for the panacea of cap space we could be a 2nd round team and move forward instead of treading water

That would involve moving Tim Thomas and Eric Piatowski for better role players ( upfront and on the wing that can help us )

We're still going to have our draft picks to use as assets ..and maybe we have to use them and perhaps one of our players to further address our structural defiencies to get " an impact player" through trade and still preserve some cap space ( albeit lower in limit ) to get " another impact player" in free agency

Tim Thomas and Malik Allen + our 2006 1st round pick ( lottery protected ) for Brian Skinner and Bonzi Wells comes to mind

I mean Skinner takes $5M for one year after this ..who else are you going to want to pay for term more than this and what would be the alternatives

Lorenzen Wright or Tony Battie at $3M - $4M ? Is $1M to $2M difference really going to matter when we have $20M to spend and we're going to be all dressed up anyway with no one to blow ?

And if its not going to make a difference and someone like Skinner is available it is just plain foolhardy and irresponsible as a GM not to get your team the help that it needs now rather than let them spin their wheels just so you can pay Lorenzen F'n Wright $1M to $2M less next year

Nene? Pryz ? $8M + ? Ugh

Cato? Double Ugh

Wallace - Stays in Mo Town

Al Harrington? No more combo tweeners/non pure position players.

We need legit size upfront and the pool is shallow in free agency

Give a pick ..redress the structure - compete and rack up the wins and flick our # 18 to #20 pick to Sacto and wish them luck

I mean if that's where it landed ..can any of you honestly say you would not give up a #18 pick to land Brian Skinner and Bonzi Wells?..and where Skinner would only be on the books for 1 year and effectively only command an extra $1M to $2M of $20M in cap room for an allocation that has already been factored in for a defensive back up big like Wright or Battie

I mean .. JJ Reddick at #18 and opportunity cost of $2M in cap space ( tops ) next summer out of a $20M pot .. or Brian Skinner and Bonzi Wells now ?

Hmmm. Let me think about that one


Picking up some overpaid slug ain't gonna get it done now either for now or in the future. Most importantly, we need a guy who brings some offense to the table, not a big body. We're getting out-muscled, yes, but on the whole we're still a pretty good defensive team.
We are but we are undermanned and a defensive back up big is exactly what we need to give us greater depth and to loosen Tyson up

We have offense with Sweetney and Harrington in the rotation and even if a guy like Skinner can contribute some at 8ppg in 25mpg in garbage detail then that's fine by me

I'd probably be more inclined to make a play for Drew Gooden in free agency to add further scoring versatility , and/or , make a play for Shelden Williams in the draft ( with the Knicks pick ) if it was deemed that Sweets is not going to be a long termer

That would give us Chandler/Skinner/Sweetney/Harrington/Songaila now

and

Chandler/Skinner/Gooden/Sweetney or Williams/Harrington/Songaila next season

Vet and young guy mix ..role defenders , post scorer , inside/outside versatility. Nicely balanced

-----------------

Do we actually have a trade exception from the trade? Offering a pick and the exception might get us an actually talented player if we do - Jon Bender, Jeff Foster, Primoz Brezec, Melvin Ely... someone who might actually be a long-run help to us.
The Bobcats aren't going to let Brezec go ..he's pretty much the perfect complement for Okafor

I bet the match the $5M MLE type money that Melvin Ely gets ...and if your going to spend that money on Melvin Ely why on God's Green Earth would you not spend that money on Brian Skinner ?

Bender ? Blah.

Foster at $5M average for the remainder of his contract ? You bet. Pacers give him up ? To us ? No way.

Like with the Sweetney trade .. I think we've got to focus on guys that could actually be available with what we've got to offer ..or what we're prepared to give
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,359 Posts
We need a center, I agree, but I also agree with mikedc and our cap space. We do not trade for anyone right now. We could use a big man. I disagree with the poster, (it may have been mikedc) that said the big man needs to score. I think scoring is not that important for us. Moving tyson back to pf and maybe the bench is.

Or...ScottMay suggested that we start Sweetney at center. That idea is not a bad idea! Then we sign someone to be our starting center. Play them 15-20 minutes a night. That is enough. Bring in OH as the back up to the back to michael or the back to the center we sign.

Michael with his girth do do a nice job at the center spot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Al Harrington? No more combo tweeners/non pure position players.
Well looking at what we have and whats out there, Harrington basically is the cream of the crop. Sweetney has been playing pretty good, but till he reaches the point of playing around 35mins a game, i'm not sold.
 

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
step said:
Well looking at what we have and whats out there, Harrington basically is the cream of the crop. Sweetney has been playing pretty good, but till he reaches the point of playing around 35mins a game, i'm not sold.
I don't think we really need him to

If he only played 25mpg he could still be very effective
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top