Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you all think would be the best free agent for us to (realistically) sign?

I'm actually starting to think that we should play Jefferson and the 2, Garnett at the 3... and then sign Rodney Rogers to split time at the 4 with Aaron Williams.

Rogers would help provide the Nets with some more outside shooting, because trading Kittles and Van Horn would definately weaken our 3-point shooting.

Garnett is athletic enough to guard any 3, and Jefferson is athletic enough to guard any 2. Having a lineup of Kidd/Jefferson/Garnett/Rogers(Williams)/McCollough(Collins) would allow us too:

1) Have a great rebounding team, which would help in the running game... and even though we'd lose Kittles/Martin (arguably the two biggest parts of our running game last year), Garnett/Jefferson are easily athletic enough to be the #1 and #2 options of the running game.
2) Garnett seems to prefer (at least from what I know/heard) to play the 3. It also protects his body from the banging that he'd have to go against in guarding 4s.
3) It gives us mismatches at the 2 and the 3. Garnett is too big for almost any 3 to guard, and Jefferson is too big for a lot of 2s to guard.

Just some thoughts... I'm hoping the Garnett trade happens, followed by a signing of Rodney Rogers (who I'm sure would be very happy in Jersey playing with Kidd again). The great thing about having Garnett and Jefferson, would be that they can play at either the 2/3, 2/4, or 3/4, allowing us to sign the free-agent that we think is the best talent to go along with our team, regardless of position.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
I'd rather put Rodney to his natural position (SF) and let Garnett play PF again, or start Jefferson, and make Rodney come off STRONGLY off the bench. So that would leave SG open and since everyone loves Slay maybe he could play it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't think that Rodney Rogers can play SF anymore (I know, offensively he plays like SFs a lot, but I just can't imagine him chasing them around now at a pretty big 255 pounds.

Also, Garnett seems to prefer playing SF.

Also, Slay is a rookie and shouldn't be counted on to do that much yet (even though I think he'll be a very good player down the line)

My ideal rotation (if Slay doesn't produce right off the bat)

PG: Kidd (33 minutes)/Childs (15 minutes): Kidd seemed to be a little better when he was fresher, and with a backup PG that is actually talented, we can let him rest a little bit more.

SG: Jefferson (22 minutes)/ Harris (26 minutes): Jefferson would start at SG, and backup Garnett, which explains him only getting 22 minutes at the 2.

SF: Garnett (35 minutes)/Jefferson (13 minutes)

PF: Williams (24 minutes)/Rogers (24 minutes): A nice combo. Williams is a tough, rugged, defense-first player. Rogers is a big guy, but a very good shooter (that'd be the best shooter on the team). Whoever plays more during each game would be based on the matchup.

C: MacColloch(24 minutes)/Collins (24 minutes): Again, a similar combo to above. One's a better offensive player, while the other one might be a better all around player. Actually, I might even give Mac some less minutes, just to keep him fresh/healthy as the year goes on... because he's definately not a well-conditioned athlete. So maybe a better mix might be 20/28

In my mind, that's a very nice 9-man rotiation... that would give us room to stash some young players down on the bench, to be given some experience as the year goes on.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Youre minutes are off...

Maccullogh-24min-Collins-28 (Will play PF as well)
Williams- 22min- Rodgers-22
Garnett- 41 min- Jefferson-7
Jefferson- 31 min-Harris-17
Kidd- 39 min- Childs-9

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several times last year it's been said by the Nets organization that Jason Kidd is more effective when he gets more rest (which is part of the reason they brought in a very good backup for him). He played 37 minutes a game last year, and I'd be shocked if he played as many this year.

And because they've always said they wanted to give Kidd more rest, I'd expect them to act the same with Garnett (if he's on the Nets next year)

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I wish this was the case of what happened.

-Petey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts