Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
personally I think we get worse defesively but better on offense...so with that said and hoping Zach stops turning over the ball evry time he touches it, I would think we would have a real good shot at making the playoffs!

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I personally do not. I don't think he would be THAT much of an upgrade over sheed. Really, I think it's time to rebuild for the future, or, if you're afraid of that word, retool for the future.

If we were to make this deal I would insist they include Josh Howard. I know that would be pushing it but we need some more prospects for the future. I think a deal of Jamison, Howard, and Wahad for Sheed would work out ok.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NateBishop3</b>!
I don't think he (Jamison) would be THAT much of an upgrade over sheed. Really, I think it's time to rebuild for the future, or, if you're afraid of that word, retool for the future.
Upgrade? I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas isn't calling up pitching an Antawn for Sheed trade daily because the upgrade would be on their end. Jamison is another undersized inside player with pourous D who (IMO) would be a horrible compliment to Zach. Like Zach, he works the offensive boards and uses quick moves to get the shot up before the D recovers but has trouble getting his shot off against longer opponents in post ups. His outside shot is not a strength.

I also doubt that Jamison is nearly enough of a plumb for Nash to scrap his stated goal of not taking on big longterm contracts... he's got a doozy. I do like Josh Howard though.

STOMP

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It is suprising that Jamison almost matches Sheed's numbers while playing 10 minute less per game than Sheed. I think I'd have to see what happens with chemistry... or actually... if this trade goes down let me see if they start winning or losing a bunch of games and then I will tell you. :D

Can someone more familiar with Jamison tell me more about his game... would he play SF for us?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Wallace is by far the better player, but the biggest question would be is Jamison going to make the team better in the long run. IMO we could do worse than Jamison who just happens to be a small forward, but isn't his contract something that Nash said NO to awhile back?

Jamison wouldn't be as much of a distraction for the team so I think he would make the team better in that department, but make no mistake, he isn't Rasheed Wallace on defense.

Wonder if there are picks involved here?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Dallas salaries

Jamison is 27 and will be 28 in June. He has 5 years left on his contract. He is signed until 2007/08 with a player option that year. He makes $11.3 mil this year, and $16.36 mil in 2007/08.
He wouldbe nuts not to take the player option that year since the trend is downward prices in salaries due to the luxury cap. But the cap may go away on the next CBA.

His salary is long term and fairly expensive considering he is not known for his defense.

Jamison's stats

Leads the lead in 5 categories. Good offensive rebounder
Career 45.8% FG, 31.3 3FG%, 72 FT%, 7.4 rbs, 1.7 assists, 0.97 steals
this year shooting 51.3 FG%

He is the scoring SF I was loking for, but has no D apparently. I was under the assumption he was a SF at GS, and he was a more natural PF but maybe I was wrong thinking that

Keep in mind this deal would require at least another $4.4 mil in salary coming back. Who else woud we get? probably not an impact player from Dallas.

Jamison + Fortson?

Here are the ones I would think we do not want:
Wahad, Bradley

Can a three way deal be made with Atlanta, Cleveland, Chicago?

Sheed for Antawn + Crawford + Chicago pick?

I think the key is the other player(s) we get, but I think Nash will pass on this. He is too expensive to take on, and one dimensional in his talent

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No.

Jamison is a 'tweener' who can score- and that's about it. I hear he's a decent person and a good influence, but he's nobody he get us to the playoffs.

We gain a bit more consistency on offense and lose a bunch on defense.

Also, with his huge salary, we have to make a commitment that he will be our SF for the next 4 years or so. Say goodby to Quintel.

I think, overall, it's a step backwards.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I gotta say "No" as well.

Jamison is a talented scorer and a decent rebounder, but he's weak defensively and is a bad passer. He had one of the lowest Assist Ratios in the NBA last year at the SF position, and considering that we already have so many other players who aren't willing to pass the ball (ZR, Damon, McInnis) I don't think Jamison would fit in well at all.

Add in his contract, and Nash would have to be pretty dumb to send Rasheed for Antawn.

Ed O.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Jamison is a similarly good scorer to Wallace, but operate mostly on jump-shots. He doesn't possess Wallace's excellent post game, so if you got frustrated by Wallace shooting jumpers, you'll only get even more of it from Jamison.

Jamison is a much, much worse defender than Wallace. Randolph and Jamison, two 'tweeners, would get exploited possession after possession. Want to see the worst defense get worse? Replace the Blazers only excellent defender with a weak one.

Jamison is an okay rebounder. Wallace is an okay rebounder. Neither dominates the boards.

Finally, Wallace's huge contract expires at the end of the season. Jamison has a huge contract that doesn't end for a few years.

In virtually every way, Portland loses. Hearing that the New York rumours were done, because this rumour is in vogue, does nothing to make me feel better. It's a terrible deal for Portland and perfect for Dallas is every way possible.

If these are the caliber of trades that will be available, I just pray the trading deadline passes without Wallace being dealt. Portland will be better off letting Wallace leave for nothing than taking on these salary albatrosses being offered to them.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
In virtually every way, Portland loses. Hearing that the New York rumours were done, because this rumour is in vogue, does nothing to make me feel better. It's a terrible deal for Portland and perfect for Dallas is every way possible.

If these are the caliber of trades that will be available, I just pray the trading deadline passes without Wallace being dealt. Portland will be better off letting Wallace leave for nothing than taking on these salary albatrosses being offered to them.
You are 100 % right, if Portland makes this kind of trade they will not make the playoffs for 5 years at least. They are better letting Wallace leave for nothing than taking on a player like Van Horn or Jamison.

Yet trades that keep your cap space and get you draft picks and promising young players like Tayshaun Prince or Maciej Lampe get bashed by this board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts