Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could trade rosters with any franchise in the NBA... keep the owner the same, the city the same, but just swap players (including contracts), which teams would you NOT swap with? I don't think, unfortunately, that there are very many.

Clearly worse:

New Orleans: Worst combo of potential and current talent.

Atlanta: A couple good young players, but all their potential seems to be focused on the swing position.

Barely worse:

Charlotte: I don't see Okafor as a franchise player, and while I like Brezec and (to a lesser extent) Gerald Wallace, I like Portland's youth better.

Milwaukee: Michael Redd, Desmon Mason and... who? It's unbelievable they win as many games as they do, and that very well might be a testament to Terry Porter as a coach.

New York: I actually liked the Marbury acquisition a lot, but Thomas has followed it up with a bunch of weird moves. Crawford and Ariza are good pieces, but considering contracts I prefer the state of Portland's roster.

Toronto: Gotta love Bosh, but the rest of the team looks pedestrian long-term. They wasted a lottery pick on Arujo and I have no confidence they'll wisely use the picks they got for Carter.

Barely better:

Utah: Boozer and Zach are about the same, with a slight edge to Zach maybe. AK-47 is the best prospect between the two teams, and Okur's the best center. Portland's got more good player/prospects, but I'd swap with Utah if I could.

Clearly better:

Everyone else.

The Warriors look like a potentially fantastic team. Watching their young big guys coming off the bench tonight rebounding and running the floor it made me very jealous.

The Clippers aren't head-and-shoulders above the Blazers, but Brand is better than Zach and I think that Livingston will be better than Telfair... Maggette pushes the Clippers over the top.

The Nets have an aging but dangerous Kidd, a star (maybe a superstar) in Carter and Richard Jefferson backing those two up. Throw in Krstic as a top prospect and the Nets might never challenge for a title, but they've got a lot of nice pieces.

What does everyone else think?

Ed O.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Good thread Ed. I guess your point is probably that people shouldn't get too excited about Portland's "youth movement," because other teams have young players too, and there's no reason to believe that Portland's young players will take them any further than the rest of these teams.

The outlook of teams like Milwaukee, Charlotte, Atlanta, New Orleans and the Clippers depends a lot on what they do with their cap room this summer. As of right now Portland is better off than all those teams except the Clippers. Some of these teams probably will end up with a bunch of nothing in free agency, but if Milwaukee or Charlotte is able to sign Joe Johnson or Larry Hughes, I like their roster better than Portland's.

I think Toronto's roster is better than Portland's, but Utah's is worse. The Jazz have sucked even when healthy and I don't think they have any players with a lot of upside. Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder look like busts so far. The Jazz looked great in the first five games of the year, and you never know, they might all of a sudden become good again next year, but I highly doubt that will happen.

Toronto has one guy in Chris Bosh who I'm sure will be a perennial All-Star, and I'd take that over a team like Portland with a bunch of okay prospects. Just because they wasted one lottery pick doesn't mean they'll waste every pick they make, and you said not to include a team's GM in this discussion, anyway. If Bosh improves a lot next year, that team is a defensive stopper away from making the playoffs.

Philadelphia is in pretty bad shape too. They are a below average team with almost no hope of getting better in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Here's my list of teams I would NOT trade for:

NY- About the same reasons as Ed gave

Toronto- To me it's obvious

New Jersey- Yes, they're better than us, but in two years I don't think they will be. An aging Kidd and although Carter is playing well now, he's a gamble.

Philly- I like some of their guys, but I just don't like most of the pieces to their team

Milwaukee- Redd could bolt and then they have......uh... yeah..

Atlanta- 'nough said

Charlotte- 'nough said

Utah- Outside of AK and Boozer, they don't have much IMO. I'm also not sold on Okur.

Minny- I'd love to have KG, but their in a mess with Sam-I-Am and Spree

Lakers- Yeah, Kobe is a superstar and Odom is solid, but I don't like the team. Kobe has a funny way of running people out of town.

GSW- They were looking good last night, especially their back court, but I still wouldn't. I'm just not sold on huge contracts with injured players like Davis.

Memphis- I wouldn't trade the team just for Gasol.

NO- 'nough said

Some teams that are a toss-up to me:

Orlando
Washington
Sacramento
Clippers

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
IMO, this isn't a fair time to be asking this question. The time to ask it will be after this summer. The Blazers are at a point where several of their major players' contracts are ending. NVE's contract is major trade bait and there's a significant chance that they do a major S&T as well with either Damon or SAR. There's also the prospect of a top-5 draft pick this season to bring in a player with plenty of upside. Add to that the fact that they have pieces in Ruben Patterson and Theo Ratliff who don't really fit into Portland's future, but will be of interest to other teams around the league, and there's plenty of opportunity to make another trade that doesn't add to the team salary. I'm very Bullish on the Blazers' future. I think there will be 3-4 significant new players on the Blazers' roster next fall. That's the point at which we should discuss whether we'd want to trade rosters with other teams around the league.

The Blazers will be significantly better next season and they will have a new coach to guide the team's development. There's plenty of reason to be Bullish on the Blazers right now.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
it's tough for me to say because we have so many darned "potential" players. the homer in me thinks Miles, Outlaw, Randolph and Telfair stand at least a small chance of being top 5 NBA players at their position. they're all so young, you just don't know what could happen. and we have a decent lottery pick coming up too.

if one of them transitions into an elite player, things won't look nearly so grim in a year or two.

but then I guess I sound like just about every diehard fan of an incredibly bad team.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
theWanker said:
it's tough for me to say because we have so many darned "potential" players. the homer in me thinks Miles, Outlaw, Randolph and Telfair stand at least a small chance of being top 5 NBA players at their position.
Agree with all of them, but not Miles.

Edit: fix quote code

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Ed O said:
The Warriors look like a potentially fantastic team. Watching their young big guys coming off the bench tonight rebounding and running the floor it made me very jealous.
Andris Biedrins is looking really good eh? Just going off of the pre-draft hype, I really wanted Nash to somehow maneuver up to get the 6-10 4/5. Defensive minded, athletic, well coordinated, and he doesn't turn 19 until next month. I was suprised that Pheonix gave up on Cabarkapa as he seems like a well coorinated athletic big as well. Just curious, has your opinion on Foyal changed since last summer? Since they dealt off Dale and Cliffy, AF has been doing a real nice job rebounding and blocking shots IMO.

Anyways the W's... Mullin and Co has largely bet their future on Baron staying healthy, but if he does I think they've a very bright future. Why Nash wasn't interested in him is a real headscratcher for me.

STOMP

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Teams I'd be DAMN tempted to change rosters with:

Chicago: I'm not sold on Eddie Curry, but I love Deng, Hinrich and Gordon, they're VERY young, and they're already in the playoffs.

Phoenix: If only because they play such a fun brand of bball. And they've recently shown they can do it even without Nash, which they'll need to, as he's fragile and over 30. (But Nash is one of my fave players as a person, too. Both his parents are English, you know [or at least, they used to be].)

Washington: Hughes being a free agent is a bummer, but again, young, exciting guards, good style of play. Kwame Brown can go blow, and I'm not a huge Jamison fan, but Etan Thomas is another I'm-a-fan-of-the-person player (he's a poet, y'know).

I would've said Denver and Utah at the beginning of the season, and I still love Kirilenko, but I'm REALLY turned off Carmelo.

I guess that there are so few, when there should be so many, shows the force of my sentimental attachment to Portland. Ask fans of ANY other team if they'd swap rosters with Portland, and I doubt anyone outside of maybe New York would do it. Even Atlanta have the two Joshes to look forward to.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
IMO, this isn't a fair time to be asking this question. The time to ask it will be after this summer. ........

The Blazers will be significantly better next season and they will have a new coach to guide the team's development. There's plenty of reason to be Bullish on the Blazers right now.
Although I agree with your point of view, I think the Blazers will NOT be any better next year, than what we've had this season. We probably won't be the worst team in the league - but .500 will be a longshot.

But I like what they've decided to do. Develop some young players, see what we've got and play better ball. I have been in the POST-DAMON camp for a few years now - although he had his best year EVER last season IMHO. I am eager for a change in our Guard-corps. I like what I see from Telfair - but the SG is still a mystery. I don't know if I've seen Frahm hit a shot this season when I've been watching.

Outlaw seems to be the one youngster really seizing the moment right now. I hope they keep him. Otherwise, I hope Nash can do something. This season has obviously been a huge dissappointment.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
This season has obviously been a huge dissappointment.
the only huge disappointment for me has been with Nash's failures at turning his expiring deals/various assets into a valuble piece for the future. Given the lack of personel moves, I don't think the on court results have been surprising at all. What talent the team does have is pretty young and not very complimentry (IMO). It was apparent going in (to me anyways) that this would be another season of transition. The guards looked especially weak from the outset and it's hard to win with bad guards.

It's entirely possible that Nash has played his cards close to perfectly. Maybe he aced the draft and maybe he was right not doing the deals he was offered... I have my doubts on this, but time will tell.

STOMP

·
Registered
826 Posts
I guess I am just too much of a homer, but I wouldn't trade our squad for any other. This is NOT because the Blazers are a good team, but because the resulting team would not be *our* Trailblazers.

I want the team to win. I am very happy with Trade-Bob kinds of moves. But I have too much emotional investment in even the poor players we have to swap them en masse, and keep any kind of affiliation to the Blazers. And it would take several years of a new roster before I got behind it -- and by then it would not be the same team we swapped for.

So I'll root for the young guys to get better, I'll root for a great lottery pick, and I'll root for some brilliant trades. But I have gotten attached to even players like Telfair, Zach, Pryz, etc. I hope they reach their potential.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
STOMP said:
the only huge disappointment for me has been with Nash's failures at turning his expiring deals/various assets into a valuble piece for the future. Given the lack of personel moves, I don't think the on court results have been surprising at all. What talent the team does have is pretty young and not very complimentry (IMO). It was apparent going in (to me anyways) that this would be another season of transition. The guards looked especially weak from the outset and it's hard to win with bad guards.

It's entirely possible that Nash has played his cards close to perfectly. Maybe he aced the draft and maybe he was right not doing the deals he was offered... I have my doubts on this, but time will tell.

STOMP
Well said. I especially agree with the part about Nash turning expiring deals into SOMETHING!! So far - though - nothing.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
At this point, who can say? I don't think Utah is a better team than POR is today...

But I would say the two are close in comparison....

It will be REAL interesting to see who drafted better b\t the two teams....LAST Year and THIS year, ss these two teams have a a lot of similarities.

They both are on the decline and rebuilding....
They both had LONG consecutive playoff streaks snapped....
They both just signed a young player (Kirilenko\Zach) to a MAX level deal....
They both have cap locked themselves with questionable signings (Boozer\Okur and Miles\Theo)....
They both have players (Boozer - Miles/Zach) whom several members of the media and fans are at odds with....
They both have had several draft picks recently (04' & 05') to rebuild from.....
They both had late lottery picks last year (UTA 14 & 16 - POR 13 -22 & 23) near each other and now each has a (potentially) Top 5 draft pick this year.....

I think it will be really interesting to see which of these two teams rises above the other.

Who will\has drafted better?

Utah w\ Snyder & Humphries and ???? (05' lotto pick)

or Portland w\ Telfair, Khryapa, Monia and ???? (05' lotto pick)

IMO the players selected on 04' & 05' will have a large say in determining each franchises future.

Whose FA signings were better?

UTA w\ Boozer & Okur
or
POR w\ Miles & Theo (in essence)

Whose designated "Franchise" player will be better long term?

The "oft injured\offensively passive" Kirilenko?
The hardworking, and much maligned "ballhog\lazy defender" Zach?

(Niether are worth their contracts IMO)

I think POR is better now, but if POR loses SAR, NVE & Damon ALL next year (VERY likely) and recieves very little in return, or worse...nothing, then I don't see how they will be better than Utah. Unless, POR hits the jackpot on draft day (If there even is such a player in this year's draft) ....

And that is the funny thing about the NBA, one player can significantly improve your franchise. Nash (or whoever the GM is) has a CRITICAL task this year for POR. Can they get something for SAR (for sure), NVE (they better) and Damon? Can they SUCCESSFULLY draft with a TOP 5 pick, when the stakes are OH so much higher? The answer to those questions IMO, will go along ways in determining if POR is better than UTA next year, and how "bright" POR future really is.

I think many of the draft prognosticators declared Utah's draft a success and POR a failure. I wonder if many of them would say the same now? But more important IMO, is who is going to be smiling wider 3 years from now?

Regarding GS, I agree with Stomp....Their future in large extent rests on Baron Davis regaining his form, and shedding his "oft-injured" ways. They have had several of these young players (Dunleavy, Richardson, Murphy, Foyle) for awhile now and sucked. The improvment of Pietrus, Biedrins, Cabarcapka (how did they steal this kid?), R.White and Tskitishvilli (Can you say A LOT of young potential?) will have a lot to do with how far up they go. But I'd be quite happy with their roster today.

AND they will in all llikelyhood ADD a Top 6 pick this year to that stable of young talent(I have to believe they will pass POR down the stretch...UTA passing POR is a another matter) ...

Yikes...

I'd say GS future looks VERY bright. POR future? Cloudy at present......

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Maybe an unpopuler opinion but here it goes

Detroit - Rasheed wallace is a cancer period.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Also i think Denver will come down to earth soon and relize carmelo is overrated as hell and kmart is a no talent steroid monkey and will get caught

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Blazerben4 said:
Also i think Denver will come down to earth soon and relize carmelo is overrated as hell and kmart is a no talent steroid monkey and will get caught

So Blazerben4 tell us how you really feel! :biggrin:

The teams that I wouldn't trade rosters with would be the following:
Atlanta, um Atlanta, oh and New Orleans, and um....oh did I mention Atlanta? :biggrin:

Gee, I really need to think about that......but teams that I would trade for would be Phoenix, Detroit and Miami.....but maybe not in that order.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
None.

I like the young guys we have and we just may as well fill in the blanks with a couple more young guys at this point.

I love the high flying high scoring type of game we had with Kersey and Co. and I'm hoping for that style of team. I think we have better athletes this time around.

If only we could land the perfect coach for them. I think he's going to relatively new to the NBA, which is a risk. But there are no experienced coaches that I feel would be right for these guys.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Iwatas said:
I guess I am just too much of a homer, but I wouldn't trade our squad for any other. This is NOT because the Blazers are a good team, but because the resulting team would not be *our* Trailblazers.

I want the team to win. I am very happy with Trade-Bob kinds of moves. But I have too much emotional investment in even the poor players we have to swap them en masse, and keep any kind of affiliation to the Blazers. And it would take several years of a new roster before I got behind it -- and by then it would not be the same team we swapped for.

So I'll root for the young guys to get better, I'll root for a great lottery pick, and I'll root for some brilliant trades. But I have gotten attached to even players like Telfair, Zach, Pryz, etc. I hope they reach their potential.

MARIS61 said:
None.

I like the young guys we have and we just may as well fill in the blanks with a couple more young guys at this point.

I love the high flying high scoring type of game we had with Kersey and Co. and I'm hoping for that style of team. I think we have better athletes this time around.

If only we could land the perfect coach for them. I think he's going to relatively new to the NBA, which is a risk. But there are no experienced coaches that I feel would be right for these guys.

:clap:

I'd post my own, original, response... but the two of you already laid out, exactly, how I feel about the question! Well said! :cheers:

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
I root for the team more then the players, so I'm sure that I could get used to rooting for a new set of guys if Portland were to do a swap with another team's roster. That said, if somehow I was put in the position to do a switcharoo, I'd ask for a year extention. Ha and Telfair are just babes in the league tuning up their bodies for the first time through diet and working out properly... look how much it's benefited Travis having a year of focusing on hoops under his belt. Though he's been a pro for a few years in Russia, Vic is probably limited by his foot injury and lack of conditioning, and I've really no idea what Monia and (my big hope) Sinanovic will bring to the table next year. There is a pretty good chance Portland will be adding a couple more decent talents via the draft and a trade (or two) as well.

Basically I'd like to get a better idea of just how green my own lawn can be before I get too worked up over whats on the other side of the fence. Given the amount of unknowns on this club, I'm not even sure what the main needs will be with the future mix. I'd probably like to see a 4/5 defensive banger added, and a slick combo guard would be nice, but those players might be added this offseason. To me the biggest question is the same as it's been... Zach or SAR... and what can be had for each.

STOMP

1 - 20 of 67 Posts