Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would be your top 3 SEC coaches that you would want first?

I will post mine later, after I read some of your thoughts.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
1. Tubby Smith
2. Mark Gottfried
3. Bruce Pearl

I don't think very highly of many of the SEC Coaches, specifically Rod Barnes, Rick Stansbury, John Brady, Billy Donovan and Dave Odom.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not fond of those 5 either, but I really like Lebo and Felton alot. Right now, I would take them over Pearl.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Well as Head Coaches overall, Bruce Pearl has done more than either of them. Felton went to the tournament 3 years in a row at WKU and lost each time in the first round. Lebo couldn't get Tennessee Tech or Chattanooga to the tournament. Pearl, won a D-II title at Southern Indiana, made the NCAA's 2 out of 3 years and was a Dylan Page choke job on a layup from being a winning coach in both of his years. He's proven more than either guy.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Felton swept Kentucky last season, and has shown flashes of being a pretty good recruiter.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
TheATLien said:
Felton swept Kentucky last season, and has shown flashes of being a pretty good recruiter.
In the regular season. We got them back in the SEC tourney.

I, for one, am getting a little tired of all of the praise Felton gets. I admit I was one of those people a while ago, but I'm starting to think he's becoming overrated. Even when he was at WKU and had Chris Marcus and Patrick Sparks, he resorted to playing some dirty and physical form of basketball that is so ridiculous it shouldn't even be called basketball. Of course he did it last year to, and for whatever reason, the refs let that kind of play go. I remember that fatass on UGA's team that intentionally tackled Antwain Barbour when he was on a breakaway dunk. I mean, there wasn't any way around it and no way you can say he DIDN'T tackle him. He just went right into Barbour and tackled him like it was a game of football. I swear it was as if he was TRYING to injure him, a la the Temple incident earlier this year. But I guess when you're an unathletic fatass, you have to resort to that kind of stuff. You would also think the refs would keep a tighter whistle after something like that and the commotion it caused afterwards, but nope, they'd rather let UGA's players beat up on everyone. And as you can see, just thinking about that still pisses me off.

The ridiculous physical play is also one of the reasons he never made it far in the tourney with WKU. The refs keep a tighter whistle in the tournament, and if he continues to have his team play that way at UGA, there are going to be some disappointed UGA basketball fans every March.

If Felton gets in some good talent and continues to play some of this football-basketball, then I will lose a lot of respect for him. Someone needs to tell him there are ways to win besides telling your team to go out and beat up the opponent.

It's one thing to be physical and tough, but it's another to take it to a whole nother level that shouldn't be allowed in basketball.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
1. Tubby Smith
2. Jeff Lebo
3. Kevin Stallings......

....12. Stan Heath

I think the SEC has some of the worst coaches of any conference around.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
HKF said:
1. Tubby Smith
2. Mark Gottfried
3. Bruce Pearl

I don't think very highly of many of the SEC Coaches, specifically Rod Barnes, Rick Stansbury, John Brady, Billy Donovan and Dave Odom.

What's wrong with Rod Barnes, he does alot more with less talent than most of the SEC coaches could do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
HogsFan1188 said:
What's wrong with Rod Barnes, he does alot more with less talent than most of the SEC coaches could do.
Got to say, I agree with that. What's killed Barnes and the Ole Miss program is his lack of recruiting ability. Hmmm, if you were to put him and Stansbury together...that'd be nice!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I hate to even bring this up... but I cannot believe no one has mentioned Rick Pitino.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Id take none other than Mr John Brady...HOLY CRAP did that just come out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Nah I was impressed with Lebo as a coach. Donovan is young and a good recruiter.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Lebo or Tubby (recruiting) or Donovan(slick hair and recruiting)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts