Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you rather have: Zach or Amare?

I love Zach, but I think Amare has greater potential, mainly because skills around the basket can be learned and refined, but flat-out athleticism is tough to acquire.

Zach makes me really appreciate guys like Brand who can score, but excel at D too.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Skelton</b>!
Who would you rather have: Zach or Amare?
Amare. Easy.

He's younger, bigger and more athletic. He's already better defensively and better at handling the ball.

Zach was a better bargain for the Blazers considering where each of them were drafted, but Amare's clearly the better prospect IMO and might be the better player right now, even.

Ed O.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Re: Re: If you had your choice...

Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

Zach was a better bargain for the Blazers considering where each of them were drafted, but Amare's clearly the better prospect IMO and might be the better player right now, even.
I wouldn't say Amare is the better player right now. Production is the real arbitor, and Randolph has that in spades over Stoudemire, for the moment. And I think it outweighs Stoudemire's defensive edge.

But yes, I'd rather have Stoudemire, certainly. He has the same zeal for the post that Randolph has, but far more athleticism and superior size. Eventually, I expect Stoudemire to overtake Randolph. He has the potential to be a Shawn Kemp-like force but with an even larger body.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Re: If you had your choice...

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

Eventually, I expect Stoudemire to overtake Randolph. He has the potential to be a Shawn Kemp-like force but with an even larger body.
Larger? Whew, that's a tall order! Perhaps you meant --stronger--? Oh wait, you're talking about Zach.

The fat Kemp experience still haunts me.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: If you had your choice...

Originally posted by <b>Skelton</b>!

Larger? Whew, that's a tall order! Perhaps you meant --stronger--? Oh wait, you're talking about Zach.

The fat Kemp experience still haunts me.
Well, I meant Stoudemire would have a larger body than Kemp but I was mentally thinking about the svelte Kemp, not the, ehm, expanded version.

I was thinking about Kemp in his dominant days and saying that Stoudemire could be similar but with a larger frame than that Kemp.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Re: Re: Re: If you had your choice...

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

I wouldn't say Amare is the better player right now. Production is the real arbitor, and Randolph has that in spades over Stoudemire, for the moment. And I think it outweighs Stoudemire's defensive edge.
I'm not sure ZR's production is that much better.

Zach outscores him (21.6 to 15.8) and outrebounds him (11.2 to 8.7) but he also plays almost 20% more minutes per game than Amare. While a per production-per-minute is not strictly as accurate as actual production, if you account for this big minute differential, Amare's production looks more similar (points up to 18.9, rebounds to 10.4).

Factor in defense and ZR's massive TO rate, and I think they're pretty similar players, and Amare just might be better at the moment.

Of course, he might NOT be. :)

Ed O.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Amare-but I do like Zacharay

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
They are both the gonna be the future of big men in this league.

Zach is a blast from the past power player, and Amare is a athletic guy.

I would take Amare because of his defense, but I still think Zach is a great player.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts