Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who should the Rockets have taken 1st in the 1984 NBA Draft?

• Hakeem Olajuwon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Michael Jordan

Votes: 18 64.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK we all know about the 1984 draft. Hakeem went first to the Rockets and Jordan went 3rd to the Bulls. Now considering that the Rockets already had Sampson, should they have taken Jordan?? Hakeem had an unbelievable career with the Rockets and completely dominated in his championship years. He was a great selection. But would you have taken Jordan if you were the Rockets in 1984? However Jordan won 6 championships when Hakeem was playing, while Hakeem won 2 rings when Jordan was retired, or just coming back. Also noting that perhaps the East was stronger in those days. Please indicate by poll!

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I am a trouble maker I will try to see if there are any "bugs" for this new website, I will try to vote again to see if I can just hitting the button all night to win the poll. lol.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Air Jordan or The Dream,now thats a hard one.:laugh:

At 38/39 the Dream puts up SCRUB #'s,but at 39 Jordan still puts up 24pts 6reb 5ast a night!

Air Jordan 4 EVER!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Drean was the answer for Houston at the time.

If the Bulls had the first pick that year they would have taken the dream.

Jordan didnt win the title by himself he had a supporting cast.
aka Pippen

Jordan needed Pippen and Pippen needed Jordan.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Well, the Dream didn't win his title's alone either. He had Drexler, Horry, etc....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Obviously back then Id take the Dream. A quality big man is better than a scoring SG. Back in those days no one expected Jordan to be the best SG of all time and possibly the best player of all time. No one expected you could build a team around him because a dominate center was and probably still is the best type of player a team can have or want.

Hakeem was not too shabby and if he had alot of support through all his years he might have an extra title or two.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
put it this way, back then i don't think anyone forsaw what would happen in olajuwon's or jordan's career. so, what happened happened, you know?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Wouldn't it have been great if Sam Bowie hadn't gotten injured? That draft, with Dream, Bowie, MJ, and Barkley, would have produced four of the top 25? players in NBA history. But think of the centers back in that time: Hakeem, Bowie, Ewing, Mutumbo, Mourning, Robinson... Shaq doesn't play ANYBODY even NEAR that. I'd like to see the Dream vs. Shaq or Ewing vs. Shaq in their primes.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by CoolHandLuke
Hakeem, Bowie, Ewing, Mutumbo, Mourning, Robinson... Shaq doesn't play ANYBODY even NEAR that. I'd like to see the Dream vs. Shaq or Ewing vs. Shaq in their primes.
oh yeah, definitely. basketball isn't the same like it used to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts