Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

If you win an MVP are you a lock for the HOF?

• Yes

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
It doesnt take much after an MVP type season to get into the hall of fame. I'd say the MVP doesnt get you there alone, but pretty damn close, especially considering you'll also be taking home a All-NBA 1st team honor as well. I'd like to think that to be in the hall of fame you'd have to show some durability and play more seasons as a star, and not just one season as an MVP.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Every NBA player to win an MVP award is either in the Hall of Fame or is a mortal lock.

I'm going to say "yes, but..." and here's why:

The NBA doesn't have very many monster seasons that are just flukes. Since there are so few players in basketball, as opposed to baseball and football, the good seasons correspond to good players with a lot more consistency I think. Basically, I'm just saying, if a player wins an MVP award in basketball, he's going to have a lot more seasons where he's an MVP-caliber player, because basketball is dominated by a few players on every team, rather than in baseball and football, where a team relies on many players.

That's not to say a basketball player who wins the MVP award in his rookie year and then dies in an auto accident deserves to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. So, it's not a total absolute lock, no questions asked, but for all intents and purposes, any player who wins an MVP award and leads a full career will merit induction, because basketball players who win MVP awards lead great careers.

I'm not sure I'm making sense, so I'll just leave it at that.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Any player good enough to win an MVP award, even if not fully deserving, is good enough to do the other things necessary to make it. In that sense, yes, it's a lock accomplishment.

However, if a player won an MVP award in his third year and then suffered a career-ending injury? Probably not.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I would have to say yes, they are pretty much a lock for the Hall of Fame. Anyone who was the best player for a whole year would have earned himself a place there.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
Any player good enough to win an MVP award, even if not fully deserving, is good enough to do the other things necessary to make it. In that sense, yes, it's a lock accomplishment.

However, if a player won an MVP award in his third year and then suffered a career-ending injury? Probably not.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
zo came in 2nd in '99. does everyone think he'd be a lock for the hall if he just came in 1st? i don't think so.

mvp doesn't make you a lock - mcadoo waited 9 years to get in. but it certainly gives you a better shot.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I think it does make you a 'lock'. Ed Macauley -- MVP in 1951 with 20 pts 9 rb a game, was almost as good in 1953, 3-time all-NBA, played for 10 years, led the league in FG% once (never led in any other category). That's it. Inducted one year after he retired.

·
Registered
535 Posts
well usually when a player wins MVP, they have been in the league at least five years, and by that time, they already are known to be a good player, and they are considered boarderline HOFers. The MVP season pushes them over the top, I believe. KG this year and A.I. in 2001 are perfect examples of this.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
no. The relationship is more of a correlation than anything else, it really doesnt influence anything one way or the other. Many things can prevent a player from enter the Hall.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>kflo</b>!
zo came in 2nd in '99. does everyone think he'd be a lock for the hall if he just came in 1st? i don't think so.

mvp doesn't make you a lock - mcadoo waited 9 years to get in. but it certainly gives you a better shot.
I agree.
Iverson (one MVP) is not "a lock" to get in... again, "it gives you a better shot"....

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
i would say yes because bill walton is in and he did very little after winning the MVP( 4 years avg. double figure boards only 3 seasons in which he avg. more than 14.1 points), heck he even made the top 50 all time and he had basically 4 good seasons ...also bob mcadoo is in ...but no top 50 for him.

get an mvp and you are in .

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>happygrinch</b>!
i would say yes because bill walton is in and he did very little after winning the MVP( 4 years avg. double figure boards only 3 seasons in which he avg. more than 14.1 points), heck he even made the top 50 all time and he had basically 4 good seasons ...also bob mcadoo is in ...but no top 50 for him.

get an mvp and you are in .
Your point may be good but Walton's not a good example... for one, he won a title as well as the MVP, and a title plus an MVP is pretty persuasive. But Walton also had his college career backing him up, his reputation as arguably the greatest ever in college.

So it's not as simple as winning one MVP and getting in the Hall, in his case.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Freak</b>!
So will LeBron.

:D

BFreak.
but AI has won an MVP

·
Hurt Squad
4,842 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wiggum</b>!

That's not to say a basketball player who wins the MVP award in his rookie year and then dies in an auto accident deserves to be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
:no: thats just a dark thought, man.

I'm not sure I'm making sense, so I'll just leave it at that.
yea you are... Kurt Warner style... the guys that start as ****... then get great than finish as ****.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts