Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I'm excited to see him cover over, hope it's next season, though does anyone know how defense has translated to the NBA game from Euros? And how so compared to offense?

-Petey

·
Registered
525 Posts
rundmc00 said:
If he continues like this, he will be a serious trade chip or our center of the future.
Does anyone feel that he is going to be the frontcourt player that we've been looking for. Blocking Shots and getting rebounds, sounds good. Couple more pounds and I would give him some serious minutes next year.

·
Nets Fan
10,426 Posts
The way im looking at it is.

1. If Krsitc does re-sign with us (which is a toss up, he is developing nicely and may want a big pay day) we have insurance.

2. A frountcourt of Ilic (if he proves to be as good as advertised) along with Krsitc could prove to be one of the best. Krstic on O and Ilic on D.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I haven't seem him play and all I've seen are write-ups about him. I tend to imagine him as a 7-2 version of Aaron Williams.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gmister said:
Does anyone feel that he is going to be the frontcourt player that we've been looking for. Blocking Shots and getting rebounds, sounds good. Couple more pounds and I would give him some serious minutes next year.
uh, more than a couple of pounds.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rundmc00 said:
If he continues like this, he will be a serious trade chip or our center of the future.
He has been a serious trade chip since last summer. Remember, the Blazers wanted him initially in the sign-and-trade, rather than the draft pick.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don`t get too excited about Ilic, he isn`t going to be nearly as good as Krstic. More realistic goal for him is that he will be career backup in the NBA.

He is decent athlete and runs the court pretty well for his size, but isn`t much of a leaper and his footwork in the post leaves something to be desired. Speaking of defense his potential there is not huge due to physical limitations, but with his size and nice frame he could be good presence there eventually.

Offensively he has very soft hands and is intelligent passer, you could see even some behind the back stuff from him. He crashes the offensive board pretty well and gets fair share of putbacks and tip-ins. However, his biggest weapon is jumpshot with range out to 20feet. He is quiete accurate and has suprisingly good mechanics.

One of biggest concerns is his complete lack of back to the basket game...

At the end of the day Mile is decent player with solid potential, but i don`t believe he is starting material for the NBA.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KristianH said:
Don`t get too excited about Ilic, he isn`t going to be nearly as good as Krstic. More realistic goal for him is that he will be career backup in the NBA.

He is decent athlete and runs the court pretty well for his size, but isn`t much of a leaper and his footwork in the post leaves something to be desired. Speaking of defense his potential there is not huge due to physical limitations, but with his size and nice frame he could be good presence there eventually.

Offensively he has very soft hands and is intelligent passer, you could see even some behind the back stuff from him. He crashes the offensive board pretty well and gets fair share of putbacks and tip-ins. However, his biggest weapon is jumpshot with range out to 20feet. He is quiete accurate and has suprisingly good mechanics.

One of biggest concerns is his complete lack of back to the basket game...

At the end of the day Mile is decent player with solid potential, but i don`t believe he is starting material for the NBA.
Thanks much, but you just described someone who has more skills than many NBA starting centers: "soft hands", "intelligent passer", "some behind the back [passing]", "jumpshot with range out to 20 feet", "surprisingly good mechanics". Physical maturity should help with some of the limitations you described. That doesn't sound like a player who should have lasted to #43 in the draft.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Haha, great. 2 Big men with accurate jumpshots with range out to 20 feet. Be nice to have with great post offensive skill sets.

Regardless sounds like a steal.

-Petey

Reactions:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks much, but you just described someone who has more skills than many NBA starting centers: "soft hands", "intelligent passer", "some behind the back [passing]", "jumpshot with range out to 20 feet", "surprisingly good mechanics". Physical maturity should help with some of the limitations you described. That doesn't sound like a player who should have lasted to #43 in the draft.
Well, that`s because most NBA centers sucks :)
Seriously, the kid can`t score on his own and will have problems at defense, if that is what most NBA centers can`t offer...then yes he shouldn`t last until no. 43.

The easiest way to describe him is Nenad Krstic without offense...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
KristianH said:
Well, that`s because most NBA centers sucks :)
Seriously, the kid can`t score on his own and will have problems at defense, if that is what most NBA centers can`t offer...then yes he shouldn`t last until no. 43.

The easiest way to describe him is Nenad Krstic without offense...
Interesting.

Just wondering, how do you know all this? If you see him play regularly, it's great to have an insider like you on this board.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
From the RealGM Nets forum

Well, first Ilic`s speed is not remarkable like someone said. He is not a great athelte, just decent. He has great lenght and promising frame, but his footwork in the post in average and he isn`t much of a leaper.

Speaking of post skills he doesn`t have many, it`s rarity to see him scoring or creating on his own in the post. His main offensive weapon is jumper, which looks smooth for such a big guy. Ilic is above average passer and inteligent player who displays good attitude on court and is willing to sacrifice his body on defense.

Still, his defensive potential is not big due to aforementioned footwork and vertical leap. Most of his blocks this season came just based on his size as he mainly blocked opposing guards, while they drived to the lane. He is not big time rebounder either, he needs to learn how better box-out and establish position in the post.

Ilic is not exciting prospect, but might become useful guy for Nets rotation one day. I don`t think i has been a great steal for the Nets, Axel Hervelle might be what you need more or ever Erazem Lorbek, who lacks NBA athelticism, but has more polished skills then Krstic.

Reactions:

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Thanks Kristian. We've seen some of his passing ability in some short video clips that we found on the web. By "we" I am thinking of NetIncome--let's give credit where it is due--although some others may have found other clips, too, that I can't remember.

From your description, it sounds like Ilic is very skilled at the things that don't require specific physical attributes: passing, shooting, soft hands; but he's lacking in the things which a bulky frame helps accomplish. What about the idea of using him as a PF and Krstic as a center?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts