Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link
The 76ers' practice is winding down, and Todd MacCulloch takes the floor and picks out a spot about 10 feet from the basket. Standing flat-footed, he starts shooting, and wears out a little speck on the backboard with bank shot after bank shot, all of them rippling through the net.

The Sixers' genial 7-foot center remains sidelined with what doctors believe is a neurological disorder known as Charcot-Marie-Tooth, a genetic malady that affects his balance and leaves his feet numb, tingling and burning, and makes running impossible. It is a progressive, incurable disorder.

MacCulloch says his balance is slightly better, and his body feels fine "from the ankles up." However, he is no closer to returning to activity with the 76ers than he was at the start of the season.

"I won't give up probably until I felt that everything has been exhausted that comes to me - ideas, suggestions and treatments from people," he said recently. "I guess when that runs out, I would have to say, 'OK, I've tried everything that I'm aware of and I don't seem to be getting any better.'

"I don't like to think of the what-if, but it is certainly real. Anything that keeps you out this long... It does make you think about what's next. Maybe it's good that I'm thinking about my future now. If I can get back to playing, I'll have a plan after that's done.

"But retirement? No, I'm not ready."
There is a lot more to the story but i only posted a few paragraphs.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think it's too bad that Todd is having all of these problems. He's not the flashiest player ever, but he is a more than serviceable centre. He has some of the best hands around the net in the league. I hope he can find some kind of a cure. He's good people.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Hes a great guy and had some very good hands but his contract his strapping this franchise and there is no cure for it. I wish he would do the diplomatic thing and retire. He should do it once the season is over so we could use that medical exception plus our MLE for a nice player./

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.