Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just decided today that I was a Wizard fan. You all have my favorite player, Larry Hughes. I can't stand most teams in the NBA, so I've decided to just follow my favorite player and become a Wiz fan.

First off, I want to talk about the draft. I like the Jared Jeffries pick. But only if he can play PF, because at SF, he's going to be a major bust. By NCAA terms, he's very versatile. By NBA terms, he's a slow tweener. If he can get up to about 240-250 pounds, he can play PF very successfully. JC Navarro and Rod Grizzard are both very good picks. Picking Juan Carlos will add a lot of international fans, because he was incredibly popular in Spain. Grizzard has a ton of talent and could be a major steal. But, Juan Dixon? Freaking Juan Dixon? Why on earth would they pick this guy? He's small and doesn't have talent. Sure, he's a leader... but, uhm, since when have rookies been able to step into leadership roles? Being a leader doesn't help much when you're fetching the coffee. I was very upset by the Dixon selection.

As I said, I'm a huge Hughes fan. I remember the first time I ever saw him play. He was a freshman at St. Louis, in his only college season. He came to Louisville, and we were ranked. Everybody knew he was the only thing standing in our way to keep us from rolling over the Billikens. We won the game, but he played with a ton of heart, and showed some incredible talent. The student section, the entire game, every time he touched the ball, would chant, "Laaaaaarry, Laaaaaarry," over and over and over. I've never seen them do that to anybody, not even like Kentucky or Cincinnati or UCLA. And he's a great individual, as well. I got to meet him after that game. He had to turn pro, not because he wanted the money. He would have rather stayed in school, I know that for a fact. His brother was going to die because they couldn't pay for the surgery he needed.

Just wanted to introduce myself, as this is the first time I've posted on this forum, I think. And, BCH, if you're interested... you can have the Knicks forum, we'll trade!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I hate how u criticize Dixon like dat???? If your a Wizards fan, don't freaking do dat!!! Dixon has talent. He wuz our best summer league player and can shoot the ball pretty well from mid range.

Jefferies doesn't need to play PF. Try to make him a big SF since he can shot and he's very versatile. But he'll never be a Nowitzki, but i'm hoping he will. And JC NAvarro will not be playing for us. He's still an international player for one more year.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my point, about Jeffries: he's not THAT versatile, by NBA standards. I hope that he can play SF, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to within the next couple years. It would be great if he could kind of play a combo forward, if Kwame develops a good jumper. They'd be great together in the blocks.

Dixon; why even draft this bum? I'm sorry you hate me criticizing him, but he's got no real upside. He can shoot the ball pretty well. Well, yeah, he can. What else does he do? He can't handle the ball or see the floor, and isn't quite quick enough, to play the point other than in spot duties. He'll probably end up having to guard the other team's PG because of his lack of size, which is a setback defensively because you have to change a lot, and Hughes will probably have to be in the game running the point and defending the two. I see Juan Dixon being another Randolph Childress, with Wilcox playing the role of Tim Duncan, sort of.

Just because I'm a Wizard fan doesn't mean I can't criticize the players! I know a lot of you won't like what I say about Dixon because he played so close to Washington in college, but, there will always be draft busts, and this year, he'll be one of them. I wish the Wiz wouldn't have wasted a pick on a player like him.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
CoolHandLuke,

Thanks for the offer of the Knicks but I think I will stick with the Wizards. I think it is going to take a little while for you to see where the Wizards are headed and what they are trying to do.

Jeffries can play SF and he can play PF in the system the Wizards are trying to develop. You see him as a tweener and the Wizards see a player they can use in multiple lineups. Dixon is another one of those players. You can criticize him for everything you have criticized him for but you can't take away his heart, his leadership, or his ability to defend. These are what the Wizards took him for.

The Wizards are building a versatile team with guys that can play multiple positions. One reason I think Hughes is going to be successful for the Wizards is because he is going to have a backcourt mate like Rip Hamilton. Rip can handle the ball and let Hughes play off the ball on offense, letting him be more creative on the offensive end, or it may be the other way around.

Give it time, watch their games, and you will see what they are after.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Um Jefferies is versatile. He's like 230 or 240, and has outside range and some low post moves!!!! He just needs to mature and learn from the best of the best. MJ!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see what you're saying about Jeffries. My only worry is that he may not be as quick as advertised. I don't see being a tweener as a bad thing. Actually, if I were a coach, I'd have a couple tweener guards, a couple tweener forwards, and a center that could handle the ball. But my problem really lies with Dixon. Sure, he's got heart. He's a leader. I just think that those are the two most overrated qualities in sports, when talking about drafting a player. The fact is, Dixon doesn't have the talent to become a star. Leadership in the NBA just can't come from a backup-type guy. Heart doesn't mean anything, as well, if you're not on the floor. And maybe it's my football-player mentality kicking in, but I think that if Dixon was really all he's made out to be in the "leadership" department, he would have gained thirty pounds of muscle by now; he's had four years at Maryland to do it. I really don't see any way that his situation could come out any different than Randolph Childress did. Maybe I'm to skeptical. But I just don't see how he could have any effect long-term for the Wizards. He's not that talented. He may be a leader and have heart, but I just can't possibly see him playing enough minutes for those qualities to have any effect. And they're not exactly qualities when you're a rookie, or in your first couple years in the league. Tyronn Lue is as good as Dixon defensively. I just don't see the point. And if, IF he really can play point guard in the NBA, I can't see him cracking the lineup ahead of Hughes, Whitney, OR Lue.

Back to Jeffries. All that worries me is that he has some outside game and some post moves. But if he's isolated one-on-one with a quick SF that's 6-7 or up, or a strong power forward, his game may become ineffective. But with a little more strength and conditioning work, I don't think there will be any problems and he'll become a slightly poorer man's Dirk.

Rod Grizzard is a guy that I'm really hoping can find a roster spot. He has incredible upside. He can play three positions, and I see him becoming what Dixon is supposed to become, only more versatile, more talented.

I think I see what they are after, I'm just worried they missed badly with the 17th in trying to get there. Courtney Alexander for Juan Dixon? Come on. Think about it, if they keep Courtney, then Rip leaving wouldn't be a big deal at all. It would benefit the team a lot more in the long run. I see them taking Dixon because of his versatility between the point and two, but I just don't think he's got the talent to become what they're after. That's all.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Courtney can't D it up like Dixon and he apparently just didn't have the basketball smarts to fit in with the Wizards.

Who would you rather have taken with the 17th that fit the criteria that the Wizards needed which was a shooter that can play defense at PG? They run a triangle offense so there is less need for a traditional point, and Rip can handle the ball in split duties with a guy like Dixon. There was no one left on the board that had his pedigree, heart, and general player characteristic that the Wizards were looking for. I think they fulfilled their potential type pick in the second round with Grizzard. This is a guy that could have gone lottery if he had come out a year earlier or if he had not injured himself early in the process.

Jeffries will never be as good of a shooter as Dirk but I think he will be a better ball handler and defender.

I think you are severely overestimating Lue and Whitney. I feel Dixon can easily match Whitney's numbers from last year and play much better defense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CoolHandLuke</b>!
But my problem really lies with Dixon. Sure, he's got heart. He's a leader. I just think that those are the two most overrated qualities in sports, when talking about drafting a player. The fact is, Dixon doesn't have the talent to become a star.
I'm confused by how you've come up with this assumption that he can't become a star. I don't see where he has any less potential than Larry Hughes. Both players are tweeners without a lot of weight. Hughes having the 2 inches extra height, while Juan has a signifigantly better shooting touch. I'm curious to know how much you've seen of Juan Dixon, are your thoughts based upon assumptions from what you've read or observations on what you've seen of his play?

Leadership in the NBA just can't come from a backup-type guy. Heart doesn't mean anything, as well, if you're not on the floor. And maybe it's my football-player mentality kicking in, but I think that if Dixon was really all he's made out to be in the "leadership" department, he would have gained thirty pounds of muscle by now; he's had four years at Maryland to do it. I really don't see any way that his situation could come out any different than Randolph Childress did. Maybe I'm to skeptical. But I just don't see how he could have any effect long-term for the Wizards. He's not that talented. He may be a leader and have heart, but I just can't possibly see him playing enough minutes for those qualities to have any effect. And they're not exactly qualities when you're a rookie, or in your first couple years in the league. Tyronn Lue is as good as Dixon defensively. I just don't see the point. And if, IF he really can play point guard in the NBA, I can't see him cracking the lineup ahead of Hughes, Whitney, OR Lue.
Once again I'm confused, I don't see leadership in basketball to be a parallel to football. Granted Dixon needs to add more muscle to his frame but he put on a signifigant ammount of weight while at Maryland, so it isn't like he just ignored the issue. The same question can be asked about Huges as well though. He's 6-5 184lbs. He could stand to put on another 30lbs or so.

Why isn't Juan talented? He's just as good as Lue defensively? You're basing these opinions on what exactly? Based on the type of shots that the Wizards point guards got last season, I'd say right now Dixon's the better fit because he's the better outside shooter, with a great mid-range jumpshot. What makes Hughes the better option at the point? Aside from 2 inches what does he have that Dixon doesn't? Like I've said before I'm interested to know what you're founding your opinions upon...

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
You're being way to hard on Dixon LUKE , first off the NBA really doesn't require that you have standard team postion like they used to , Look the current NBA champions don't have a traditional point guard, Dixon like stated above fits the WIZARDS plan ,he plays great defense plays the passing lanes better than anyone I've seen in a long while, plus he's a good mid range to deep shooter, He has what Whitney doesn't have which is the ability to dribble drive and pull up. he's just as good as Lue is on defense plus a better decision maker. I think Dixon will be fine as a point and could develope into a SAM CASSEL type of player with his pull up game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't be surprised to see JJ play a bit of a point forward. The Wizards are apparently very impressed with his ability to handle the ball.

Dixon=Winner, OK its draft day and we have decided we have too many winners so lets not take Dixon, I'd rather take a selfish, inexperienced kid who just wants money and doesnt car if he finishes school. Yea, I prefer to use my crystal ball that predicts players future's based upon upside to predict who will be a good to great NBA player.

Pick winners with versatility and with good a good head on their shoulders, This whole thing about picking a kid out of High school to pay him big money so maybe he'll develop in 3-4 years is a waste and not fair to anyone.

Sorry, just venting, Think twice about any negative words regarding Juan Dixon he's a class act on and off the court!!!

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I have been thinking some and if Dixon is a bust, I would not be surprised. I personally think he will be okay but I can fully understand CoolHandLuke's reasoning for not taking Dixon at 17. I might be more upset if there was another player I really wanted at 17 but there wasn't in hindsight, though at the time I wanted Dickau.

We are all going to have to wait and see.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope that I have to eat my words on Juan Dixon, because he did finish college, something that most players aren't doing any more. Is he a class act? Well, I don't really know, I haven't heard much of what he has to say, but I'll take your word for it. These spoiled kids that don't care about finishing school... what, like Tyson Chandler? Jason Richardson? Oh, okay, I get ya; there's no reason to pick a player like that with a four-year college player like Shane Battier available. I do just want to mention something; players finishing four years of college does not necessarily mean they're winners with good heads on their shoulders. Check out Terance Morris. The fact is, four-year college players are just as likely to bust as high-schoolers or one or two year college players. That is a proven fact. Statistically, in the past eight years, for their draft position, more four-year college players have busted than any other year (three-year, two-year, one-year, HSer, I mean). While we all want players to finish college and pretty much agree that it's what should be done, it doesn't make the player less of a risk. And it also proves that NO players coming into the NBA are PROVEN. Dixon proved he was a good college player. That doesn't make you a proven NBA player; ask Randolph Childress or Shawn Respert. Know what else? Mateen Cleaves was a winner, too. A lot that's gotten him. He makes a really good cheerleader. Just stating the stats and odds, not making any comments or judgement on Dixon. And, again, I'm not saying anything bad about Dixon off the court, but on the court, I'm not going to be nicer to him because he's a good person, I'm much more concerned with his ball.

Jaybird, of course I've seen quite a bit of Dixon. I watched the tourney... watched Duke-Maryland games, NC-Maryland; at least 10 Maryland games last year.

Dixon put on a lot of weight at Maryland? Huh? He weighs 160 pounds. Did he come in at 130!? And yeah, Hughes could stand to gain a little weight, but he's still 25 pounds heavier.

What makes Hughes a better player than Dixon? Well, for one, the two inches. That is a pretty big deal. He's quicker. He's a lot more athletic. He's a better basketball player in general. Dixon may play better defense, but he won't be able to stick with NBA point guards and his height keeps him from being able to defend the two. Why isn't Juan talented? I dunno, bad bloodlines or something? It's pretty obvious if you watch him play that he's not the most talented player in the world.

I wish the choice would have been somebody like Dickau, however, I understand the choice of the player from so close, with the fans that he'll draw, and I wish him the best of luck, and hope he lives up to his draft position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My main problem with getting Dixon at 17 was that Qyntel Woods was available. The kid has serious talent and could develope into a real great starter.
The other thing that frustrates me is the fact that Caron Butler was taken at the #10 pick. I am not trying to imply anything but Caron Butler was literally one loss away. Also I still believe that Courtney is worth much more than the #17 pick. I wish we could have packaged our picks to move up in the draft for either Wagner or Butler but that is just me. Though in the end, I thought that draft was a good one just not perfect.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While Jeffries was a risky pick, I'm fairly pleased with it, and like what he could develop into. Wagner was IMO the top player in this draft so of course I'd rather have had him, but I like Jeffries as well. However, Courtney is somebody that has proven that he can start and produce in the NBA, and they traded him for a player with a more limited upside and less size. I still like the Grizzard pickup, though, and I think he has almost as good of chance as Woods to develop into something special. I didn't really want Woods, as the guy is, well, stupid. I mean, he's 22 coming out of JuCo. He scored like 500 on his SAT. I thought you got that many points leaving the whole thing blank? I just wouldn't like to pick somebody that chances are will have such a hard time understanding concepts on the court. I wonder what he would have scored on a Wonderlic test.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CoolHandLuke</b>!
I hope that I have to eat my words on Juan Dixon, because he did finish college, something that most players aren't doing any more. Is he a class act? Well, I don't really know, I haven't heard much of what he has to say, but I'll take your word for it. These spoiled kids that don't care about finishing school... what, like Tyson Chandler? Jason Richardson? Oh, okay, I get ya; there's no reason to pick a player like that with a four-year college player like Shane Battier available. I do just want to mention something; players finishing four years of college does not necessarily mean they're winners with good heads on their shoulders. Check out Terance Morris.
Let's check out Mr. Morris as well as the class he was drafted in. :)

A bust already? While I'll readily agree his numbers are pretty poor, for a second round pick you don't expect much do you? And if you were to rate his production with regard to the rest of his draft class, I think he's at least moved up in the rankings regarding to his draft position.

While four year players aren't a given, they do give a GM a much greater picture of what their potential is and where they could fit in on a current team. I never brought up the whole discussion of four year players being more valuable, so I'm curious as to why you've introduced it.

Jaybird, of course I've seen quite a bit of Dixon. I watched the tourney... watched Duke-Maryland games, NC-Maryland; at least 10 Maryland games last year.

Dixon put on a lot of weight at Maryland? Huh? He weighs 160 pounds. Did he come in at 130!? And yeah, Hughes could stand to gain a little weight, but he's still 25 pounds heavier.

What makes Hughes a better player than Dixon? Well, for one, the two inches. That is a pretty big deal. He's quicker. He's a lot more athletic. He's a better basketball player in general. Dixon may play better defense, but he won't be able to stick with NBA point guards and his height keeps him from being able to defend the two. Why isn't Juan talented? I dunno, bad bloodlines or something? It's pretty obvious if you watch him play that he's not the most talented player in the world.
And how many games of his did you watch the year before that? I'm asking so I get a better understanding of your knowledge, both of the Maryland program and of Dixon's abilities. (I'm not trying to be obstinant)

Yes Juan did come in to Maryland at about 130-140, so he did put on weight, contrary to what you claimed. As for 25 pounds heavier, spreading that out over 2 inches doesn't make for a great difference in builds between the two players.

I readily concede that Mr. Hughes is 2 inches taller. I strenuously disagree with the idea that he's quicker than Juan. As for more athletic, if by that you mean leaping ability you're probably right. But with regard to lateral quickness, speed and acceleration I have my doubts.

Why wouldn't he be able to keep with NBA point guards? I sincerely think you underestimate his quickeness. But I do agree that he'll have trouble playing against the NBA 2's of the league because of the height he gives up. But then again his liablilty on D may become an asset on O with his quickness,.

I wish the choice would have been somebody like Dickau, however, I understand the choice of the player from so close, with the fans that he'll draw, and I wish him the best of luck, and hope he lives up to his draft position.
Dickau??? That choice truly puzzles me. Dickau's 3 inches shorter than Juan is, and weighs just about the same. They're comprable shooters, Dan having probably a slight edge. But Dixon plays D, and is much quicker. Dickau's only advantage is his greater ball handling ability. Dickau's assist to turnover ratio at Gonzaga was 1.6 as a point guard. Juan's at Maryland as a Shooting Guard was 1.2; so it's not like he's a much greater distributer of the ball.

The only other choice I could have seen the Wiz make was Qyntel Woods. He'll probably be able to develop into a star, but I think the questions about his motivation, lack of defense and potential bust factor gave the Wizards pause. That plus the lack of progress with Kwame made taking a long term investment a troublesome proposition.

·
Registered
785 Posts
On the subject of Courtney...I wanted the Wiz to trade him since the deadline. What a freakin bust! He was totally ineffective in Collins'system, and he played absolutely NO defense. Courtney couldn't lock down a good college player, let alone a real NBA talent. He couldn't finish around the basket, and he took horrible shots. Juan is twice the player CA is right now...at least he plays d.

However, I have mixed feelings on the Juan drafting. He's not a pg, and doesn't have the instincts to become one. But he plays solid defense, he shoots the gaps, and he can shoot. That in itself makes him better than Whitney and Lue, and in some aspects, Hughes.

I also have mixed feelings on the Hughes signing. He has tons of potential...as a shooting guard. He can create his own shot, and at times he can get others involved. However, he can't shoot past 20 ft which is pathetic, and he's undisciplined on defense. Maybe Collins and MJ can help his shooting woes this offseason.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Courtney is a scorer nothing else, didn't finish real well in traffic and wasn't real tough , defense was horrible, but he can score ,is a streak shooter that can put up 20 on any given night, just doesn't handle the ball all that well and doesn't have great timing on his drives to the basket.

Now Dixon won't be a bust he may not be a star but won't be a bust he'll be solid, everyone seems to think you have to go one way or the other ,either star or bust but he'll be solid, My choice possibly at 17 would have been DICKAU , after seeing him in summer league he's got natural pg instincts,Sort of like a MARK PRICE kinda player ,uses pick and roll to either look inside for passes or comes of the screen pulling up from deep , maybe a touch slower than Price but has that same feel, I know you can't really use Summer League as a gauge but it does show some of the players ability, I think Dickau might have fit what we do better than Dixon but I like Dixon and think his competitiveness will help the team at both ends.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Jeffries is a tweener, but that might not be a bad thing.

He has some refined skills, and some mojo coursing through his system.

I think we'll find that night in and night out he'll do lots of different things to score depending on whose guarding him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts