Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mizzou fans are notorious for looking to the future. Our new recruits are always better than the ones the season before and our current players will always improve ten fold. There's never a doubt in our minds that we'll be national title contenders every season (just not this one) and if you disagree we'll mob you.

And with that said, I honestly believe a huge part of the problem this season is the players. Three of the problem players will be gone next season and be replaced by players who will, obviously, be much better. Plus, their departure will allow for the improvement of our current players. And I'm being serious about this.

Paulding's got to be the worst passer and ball handler in the country, at least for being hyped as an All American. Plus his mind's never in the game and he only seems to play with passion a few times a season (like against Marquette). His graduation will do two things. First, it'll give Mizzou back about 4 turnovers a game and 15 shots that can be distributed throughout the rest of the team (or better yet, given to Conley). Secondly, it will allow Gardner and Conley more playing time, playing time they deserve right now. Both are good players, both play with a lot of energy (energy Paulding doesn't ever seem to have) and both have had big games this season in limited playing time. Throw in Dandridge and Brown and I'm very optimistic about our future wing players.

AJ's a great player with tons of talent, but he gets easily frustrated (and then he starts pouting) and relies too much on natural ability. He's not very athletic (as the floorboards in Lawrence can tell you) and plays defense to get blocks. Kevin Young plays better post defense than AJ does, and the only thing we lose with Young in the game over AJ is an offensive threat (KY still has trouble catching the ball, let alone doing anything with it. But if he gets it deep, watch out. Hollis can tell you). Kleiza's a good scorer anyway and can put up numbers at least equal to Johnson's. The loss of Travon may actually hurt, though (he did play like his old self against ISU, though). MU will be thin in the post next season, but they'll have guys who will actually do what they're told (Kleiza score, KY play defense, Grimes and Furguson (maybe) just don't suck too bad and we'll be ok).

Kroenke will also graduate, which basically means we won't have to put up with his lack of athleticism and missed three pointers. Even though he's the best shooter on the team he never seems to make them. He's streaky and only seems to be hot when it doesn't matter. His 10-20 minutes per game will probably be divided between the two freshmen wing players, mostly to Dandridge if Brown plays the 4, too. His loss will probably help the least, but really the only thing we lose with him is leadership and hustle (and he's so unathletic that his efforts usually put him in bad position where he can't recover and it hurts the team, anyway).

We'll also add Horton, which will be the biggest boost any MU team under Quin has seen. He'll be the first quality point guard Mizzou's had since probably Booker. Grawer was more of a 2 and Dooling was more of an athlete. Gilbert and Clemons were just shooters and Stokes was a muppet who belonged in a smaller conference (but he's the type of player who can really shine against lesser teams). Horton's had a great senior season so far and will be a huge assest to Mizzou next season. He should be the starter from day one. He'll also allow McKinney to play the 2 a lot more, which should be good for him.

All that said, the biggest change for next season that I'm looking forward to is with the coaching staff. I fully expect Quin to be back and personally I want him back. I'd like to see what he can do with next year's team because this year's team appears to have given up caring. A lot of things people have blamed on Quin, but I'm willing to give him one more shot. The change I'm looking forward to, though, is with the assistants. I haven't heard anything at all about a possible change and don't know if there will be one or not, but there needs to be one. I'm hoping after the investigation's over there will be enough dirt on one of the assistants (I'm hoping for Harvey. Odom's a pretty good assistant and Perez probably hasn't done anything wrong to get them in trouble so he'll probably stay). They need to bring in an older coach, one who can focus on development as opposed to recruiting. If they can do that, next year's team should restore the confidence of Mizzou fans, both in the program and in Quin.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pharsyde

Quin needs to get some assistant that can coach..

Also you Missouri fans are starting to sound like Larry Eustacy..

Hi I am a Missouri fan..

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
not to burst your bubble, but did you and kccheifs_fan talked who was better Langford or Paulding?

I am just going to say out of that with a no comment

I am kind of disapointed as a basketball fan to see MU to go from a potential final four contener to NIT bound in just 3 weeks. But as a KU fan......

I beleive Mizzou will be better, but my problem still stands with the coach. True the players have not live up to the hype and talent, but it is the coach to play the players who does.

I think NFL is realy the only time that I know if you are not playing to your potential, you are out.l

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>kansasalumn</b>!
not to burst your bubble, but did you and kccheifs_fan talked who was better Langford or Paulding?

I am just going to say out of that with a no comment

I am kind of disapointed as a basketball fan to see MU to go from a potential final four contener to NIT bound in just 3 weeks. But as a KU fan......

I beleive Mizzou will be better, but my problem still stands with the coach. True the players have not live up to the hype and talent, but it is the coach to play the players who does.

I think NFL is realy the only time that I know if you are not playing to your potential, you are out.l
I was wrong about Paulding when comparing him to Langford. At the time I was under the assumption that Rickey would actually get better and I was unaware that he'd show a complete apathy towards the game as a senior. Talentwise I'd still say he's better than Langford, but basketball's a lot more than just talent (and Paulding's a perfect example of that).

Mizzou is not NIT bound yet. In case you didn't know, there are still 17 regular season games left for Mizzou, plus the Big XII tournament. They still have time to right the ship and make it based on their regular season performance, and even if they don't do that they can win the Big XII tournament for an automatic bid. They're far from NIT bound right now.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!

I was wrong about Paulding when comparing him to Langford. At the time I was under the assumption that Rickey would actually get better and I was unaware that he'd show a complete apathy towards the game as a senior. Talentwise I'd still say he's better than Langford, but basketball's a lot more than just talent (and Paulding's a perfect example of that).

Mizzou is not NIT bound yet. In case you didn't know, there are still 17 regular season games left for Mizzou, plus the Big XII tournament. They still have time to right the ship and make it based on their regular season performance, and even if they don't do that they can win the Big XII tournament for an automatic bid. They're far from NIT bound right now.
I know they are far from NIT bound. If it starts today, they are NIT bound. I know about the rest of Big 12 and the Tourney. But as of now they are NIT bound until they change something or win the Big 12 Tourney.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!

Talentwise I'd still say he's better than Langford, but basketball's a lot more than just talent (and Paulding's a perfect example of that).
Paulding is streaky shooter, and when he's on, he's a better shooter than Langford. But besides that, what skills does Paulding possess more talent in compared to Langford? Ballhandling? Passing? Driving? Finishing? Mid-range game? Defense? The uncanny ability to lose a defender, drive into the lane, spin, get hacked, and hit the bucket? These are just a few reasons why Langford is, quite simply, more talented than Rickey Paulding.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The only thing Paulding has on Langford is outside shooting (usually) and jumping ability. Langford's got a fabulous mid-range game, terrific body control, is a great slasher (one of the finest in the country), and is a phenomenal finisher. He's been a bit of a disappointment thus far into the year as well, but he's shown signs of breaking out and being unstoppable on the offensive end.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
And it's not like Langford can't jump, either.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!
And it's not like Langford can't jump, either.
Of course not, but I'd guess, and this is just from judging their in-game acrobatics, that Paulding has somwhere close to a 4-5'' advantage in their verts. Langford makes up for that with his lighting quick first step and operatic ability to contort his body and finish at the rim, though.

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
it seems since Stewart left all Mizzou fans are always disapointed with their teams. And as a KU grad I couldn't be happier, there are just some fans (Mizzou) that are annoying (the Antlers). I think that Quinn has been recruiting wings and point guards poorly (except McKinney, I really like him), AJ is a load, and when happy is a damn good play. I have really never liked PAulding, something is always off about him. Maybe Quinn has to stop recruiting players with bad attitudes. The problem with firing Quinn is that he is always in the Tourny. It's not like the Tigers have fallen off. Now should they be better? yes.

·
The Bilson = Jayhawk Love
6,884 Posts
it is showing that the thread starter is a Mizzou fan (bad taste in teams :D ) and that Mizzou fans will wait until next year.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. I thought it pretty much explained itself. Mizzou fans are accused every year of giving up on their team but insisting the next season will be better. I sarcastically used that to introduce my post. I haven't given up on this team yet and am happy with the progress they showed against Texas A&M. They need to get better, but it's a big improvement over what I saw against Belmont.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Langford will have to play well against real competition and not suck to make me a believer. 18 free throws at home against a short team just means that he's good at beating up on scrubs, but is not actually elite (see Texas-Duke). He did a good job in the Nova game though, and he's having a way better season than Paulding, although I would expect Mizzou to reach the Sweet 16 if they manage to make the tournament.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being an MU fan, I'm not ready to give up on this year yet. We are on the ropes right now and I am curious to see how we are going to react. We have some big games coming up and I think these next 3 games are going to make or break our season. If we can win 2 of 3 I think we could get our confidence back and possibly get on a roll. If we lose 2 or 3 of these games we will struggle all season long. The frustration will multiply and I think it will be hard to even make the NIT. Like I have said before, the expectations have been unrealistic.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Being an MU fan, I'm not ready to give up on this year yet. We are on the ropes right now and I am curious to see how we are going to react.
Basically.. There's no reason to look toward's next year IMO.. Since we're not even half way into the season.

Yeah. I thought it pretty much explained itself. Mizzou fans are accused every year of giving up on their team but insisting the next season will be better. I sarcastically used that to introduce my post.
Duh!.. Loosen up man.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!

Basically.. There's no reason to look toward's next year IMO.. Since we're not even half way into the season.

Duh!.. Loosen up man.
What the heck do you mean loosen up? You asked and I answered...:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts