Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my community, there was a 2 year old child murdered by her daycare provider for not wanting to take a nap.

She presented a plea which would only give her 2 years probation and not being able to care for children during that probationary period. The plea will be accepted or rejected on February 19th, 2004 and I just cannot sit idly by and watch this happen.

As one who has kids, I cannot tell you how much it would hurt to have them taken away like this and with such reckless abandon and to top it all off, let the murderer get away with just a slap on the wrist. Please, please, please help...

If you would, please sign this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/jfa2004/petition.html
http://www.justiceforalexis.com

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've got a son that age and that's just terrifying. I signed.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Jesus H Christ that's pathetic :no:

That DA needs to be run out of town and that woman ought to fry.
I agree.

Where I live is only about 50,000 and the whole town is pretty shocked about the plea. I don't see how it could have even been an option.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
In my community, there was a 2 year old child murdered by her daycare provider for not wanting to take a nap.

She presented a plea which would only give her 2 years probation and not being able to care for children during that probationary period. The plea will be accepted or rejected on February 19th, 2004 and I just cannot sit idly by and watch this happen.

As one who has kids, I cannot tell you how much it would hurt to have them taken away like this and with such reckless abandon and to top it all off, let the murderer get away with just a slap on the wrist. Please, please, please help...

If you would, please sign this petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/jfa2004/petition.html
http://www.justiceforalexis.com
It can’t be true…. this is sad where this country is going….

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
signed!

·
Reverse Psychologist
2,553 Posts
I'm a little unclear as to what consequences she's facing. It says she's facing a "2 year suspended sentence with 2 years probation." Does this mean she's not facing any jail time at all?

While I do think that causing the death of a person should be punished with jail time, I will assert, however unpopularily, that I personally do not have enough experience with the case to endorse anything. The account given of the girl's death on her parent's website/petition may be very biased. The criminal court system should have a better idea of what happened and I think her fate should be left up to it. Furthermore, having children of your own may make this story pull on your heart-strings, but that's not a reason to try to change this woman's fate.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just think sometimes we need a skeptic among us...

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>Snuffleupagus</b>!
I'm a little unclear as to what consequences she's facing. It says she's facing a "2 year suspended sentence with 2 years probation." Does this mean she's not facing any jail time at all?

While I do think that causing the death of a person should be punished with jail time, I will assert, however unpopularily, that I personally do not have enough experience with the case to endorse anything. The account given of the girl's death on her parent's website/petition may be very biased. The criminal court system should have a better idea of what happened and I think her fate should be left up to it. Furthermore, having children of your own may make this story pull on your heart-strings, but that's not a reason to try to change this woman's fate.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just think sometimes we need a skeptic among us...
Understandable... it's not for everyone, but you hit it on the head with her not facing any jail time. If the plea is accepted, she will:

- be placed on two years probation
- during that 2 year probationary period, she will not be allowed to care for children.

The petition is simply to show support for the plea to not be accepted. Personally, after the probation, I don't believe she should be able to re-open her day care.

·
Reverse Psychologist
2,553 Posts
Then we agree more than we agree to disagree.

That punishment does seem too lenient to me and she should get some jail time. My objection was that someone said she should "fry" for what seemed to mostly be a tragic accident where a person of responsibility was grossly neglegiant. That person deserves more than a "slap on the wrist" (or if you prefer, a "smack on the hand") but I think "frying" is a little harsh

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>Snuffleupagus</b>!
Then we agree more than we agree to disagree.

That punishment does seem too lenient to me and she should get some jail time. My objection was that someone said she should "fry" for what seemed to mostly be a tragic accident where a person of responsibility was grossly neglegiant. That person deserves more than a "slap on the wrist" (or if you prefer, a "smack on the hand") but I think "frying" is a little harsh
Yeah... I just want a more fair punishment.

I don't know if you read any of the articles, or if the articles mentioned it, but Mrs. Scott was also in a leg cast at the time. I get shivers every time I think about it because I drop a little tot off every morning at daycare.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

I signed

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I signed.

Here is some more information about the case:

http://www.tribstar.com/articles/2003/12/30/news/news05.txt

Former day care owner indicted

Nearly a year after Alexis Williams was found unresponsive in a Terre Haute day care, the owner of that facility was indicted in connection with the 2-year-old's death.

Courtenay Scott, 36, faces a Jan. 26 trial in Hamilton County on a reckless homicide charge.

In April, Scott was indicted by a Vigo County grand jury. She is alleged to have placed her leg on Williams back, leading to the child's May 2002 death.

In late January, more than 100 people, many of whom faulted Vigo County Prosecutor Bob Wright for his decision not to file any charges in the case, protested outside the Vigo County Courthouse.

A month later, Wright announced that a special prosecutor had been named to the case.

Since the April indictment, a judge ruled that Scott could not get a fair trial in Vigo County and moved the case to Noblesville. The judge ruled earlier this month that prior allegations of verbal and physical abuse against Scott are inadmissible during her upcoming trial.

http://www.tribstar.com/articles/2003/11/14/news/news01.txt

Scott, 36, was indicted this spring in the May 22, 2002, death of Alexis Williams. The former Terre Haute day-care provider is accused of holding Williams down during a nap at Courtenay's Kids Corner, resulting in the 2-year-old's death.

Police investigated claims of abuse against Scott in 1996, when she worked at another Terre Haute day care. She was neither arrested nor charged in the previous case.

According to court documents filed in August, Scott was accused of verbally and physically abusing two children in 1996 while employed at Terre Haute Day Nursery. Her alleged abuse included laying her legs on the back of children during a nap to force them to sleep, similar to what she is alleged to have done with Williams. She also was accused of putting blankets over the heads of the children to force them to sleep, a court document suggests.

"The fact that she has [allegedly] done this before and was warned it was not an appropriate thing to do, but continues, is reckless," special prosecutor Stan Levco said Thursday in court.

The prosecution contends Scott held her leg over Williams during a nap. Scott was wearing a cast on one of her legs at the time.

Levco of Evansville called for a grand jury after Williams' death certificate was re-filed March 26 to reflect an updated cause and manner of death. Previously listed as "undetermined," the new certificate indicated Williams' death was a homicide, the result of "compression asphyxia."

http://www.wthitv.com/newsdet.asp?id=4650

You may remember Courtenay Scott was charged with reckless homicide in the girl's death. Scott put her foot cast on the 2-year-old to get her to take a nap.

A little over a week ago, Scott plead guilty to the charge and was offered a plea bargin. The deal gives Scott two years probation and no jail time.

Today, the girl's father is starting petitions around town to give to the judge. He hopes the signatures opposing the plea bargain will influence the judge's decision at the sentencing hearing.

http://www.wtwo.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=4434

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I signed.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
signed

·
Registered
4,243 Posts