Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the Blazers play at Staples. They totally sucked and what is sad is that they were clearly trying to win the game in the 4th quarter and just couldn't. Sad, sad, sad.

To all those who tried to convince me earlier this season that the Blazers played better when Telfair was on the floor..... SHAME ON YOU. Now that he's getting the minutes, he's not doing ANYTHING SPECIAL with them. His +/- is -6.5. We are 1-10 with him as a starter. His best games were under the disciplined guidance of CHEEKS and NOT under the "here, have all the minutes you want" guidance of Pritchard.

To all those who said we might as well play the scrubs since we were losing with the veterans.... SHAME ON YOU. Hey, we were a .400 ballclub under Cheeks, but we can't even play .100 ball under Pritchard. And don't blame injuries. Cheeks found a way to beat the Spurs without either SAR or Zach Randolph. We competed under Cheeks.

John Nash is an absolutely AWFUL general manager. He has overpaid crappy players (see Theo Ratliff), overrated younger players (see Telfair and Outlaw who, guess what folks, just aren't as good as y'all think they are.... no, Mr. Nash-- Telfair is NOT better than Damon... geesh), and decreased the value of every single player on our roster.

This team is now an AWFUL team which can only get worse. The "good news" (if you can call it that) is that we have a fantastic chance at getting the #1 pick. The "bad news" is that the odds are that we will not get the best player in the draft with that pick. And regardless of who we get, it will be a LONG HAUL before that player is able to help us become at BEST the kind of "first round and out" team that people used to complain about.

I'm so pissed at the following:

1) Fans who wanted Sheed gone.
2) Fans who think Telfair is worthy of starting at PG.
3) Fans who think Theo Ratliff is a good basketball player.
4) John Nash.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
:boohoo:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
NathanLane said:

4) John Nash.

Go Blazers
1) Mr Non-Leader is now in his proper place but with an outrageous contract
2) He will improve with time
3) OK you're right about this one - unless the injury to shoulder is the reason
4) Only a few more months for all to be seen - he gets a draft and signing period and possibly a trade or two - before WE SHOULD ALL MAKE UP OUR MIND about his GMing ability.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sambonius said:
The ignorance of this post doesn't even deserve a response. Cry me a river Justin Timberlake, cry me a river.
Agreed, and when you're done crying that river, simply, build a bridge and get-the-****-over-it.

You just HAVE to love the ability to "ignore" certain posters.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sambonius said:
The ignorance of this post doesn't even deserve a response. Cry me a river Justin Timberlake, cry me a river.
I find it interesting when I see this kind of response to a post. It sounds like a COP OUT, like you are incapable of making an articulate rebuttal. What do you have a problem with? What do you disagree with and why? All I did was state my feelings on the Blazers. I don't expect everyone to have the same feelings. But if you have something different to say on the subject than say it. It would be a lot more interesting that one condescending sentence in which you express your delusions that somehow YOU have been put in charge of deciding which posts "deserve" responses and which don't. And then there's the matter of fact that you DID respond, thereby weakening your stance even further.

Peace.

Go Blazers

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RedHot&Rolling said:
1) Mr Non-Leader is now in his proper place but with an outrageous contract
2) He will improve with time
3) OK you're right about this one - unless the injury to shoulder is the reason
4) Only a few more months for all to be seen - he gets a draft and signing period and possibly a trade or two - before WE SHOULD ALL MAKE UP OUR MIND about his GMing ability.
1) His proper place, indeed. Championship ring on his finger and on a team that leads its division.

2) Will that improvement be enough for him to lead us deep into the playoffs?

3) Even when absolutely healthy, Theo is nothing special and has never brought a game to the table that was worth 10 million a season.

4) He's already blown one draft and several opportunities to make trades. We've already lost Dickau for nothing. Now we may lose Damon and SAR for nothing and there is nothing that he can do about it. Meanwhile, the mediocre and sub-mediocre Miles and Theo have locked up our cap space.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
This team is now an AWFUL team which can only get worse.
I understand your frustration, Nathan, but I have to disagree with the above statement. I believe we can only get better! (We're already pretty darn awful, so there's nowhere to go but up).

The Blazers WILL be better next year, but in order for that to happen we have to go through some growing pains right now. Telfair will be better next year, and so will Outlaw and Khryapa. And you can't blame these recent losses on Telfair. We're missing Randolph, Patterson, and Van Exel, who were all playing just before Cheeks left.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i actually agree with a lot of his statements.

we are currently totally horrible.

am i optomistic about our draft pick? at this point no. #1 isnt even a sure fire success, we are looking around 4-8 i think , we could strike gold or just as easily- fools gold.

our contract situation is frightening , we have a ton of $ coming off the books but its also all our vet leadership and most of our scoring. We have sewen up some players to contracts which we will wear like an albatross imo.

I dont think NL's post is ignorant at all , i think people just find him an easy target. The last recent record is trash and its gotten so bad we are now *wishing* for loses?!?. wtf happened to us? seriously..

Id be far more interested in the 'youth movement' if we had a group of players that played at least something like a team, in Zach we have a guy who cant grasp the team concept , Miles is a tease who rarely turns up with his gameface ready , Sebastian is young and has inherited all the hopes of the franchise from Zach - duke is 19 and struggling and as I've said before its far to early to crown or clown him , all you can do is call each game as it happens - credit where its due , not excuses one day and overboard assumptions the next.

We are in a bad spot guys , thats just the truth.

If we dont:
A. do something with these expiriing contracts to replace some scoring and vet leadership
B. stike it lucky in the draft
C. get a real coach

we are going to struggle for years and years - something Sebastian will hang around for? i doubt it.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Talkhard said:
I understand your frustration, Nathan, but I have to disagree with the above statement. I believe we can only get better! (We're already pretty darn awful, so there's nowhere to go but up).
This sums up my feelings on NL's post, too. I don't know if I agree we'll be all that much better next year, but there's nowhere to go but up and this could be the genesis of a very good team 3 or 4 years from now.

Maybe I just accepted the Blazers' crappiness before you, NathanLane. I felt like you did over the summer so I've had a while to get comfortably numb.

Ed O.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
BlayZa said:
i actually agree with a lot of his statements.

we are currently totally horrible.

I dont think NL's post is ignorant at all , i think people just find him an easy target. The last recent record is trash and its gotten so bad we are now *wishing* for loses?!?. wtf happened to us? seriously..

We are in a bad spot guys , thats just the truth.
I agree with all of these sentiments, too. I'm getting my monthly quota of agreement posts out of my system :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i think we will get worse before we get better, our current record (sans last 11 games or so) was earnt by people who are now marginalised and/or not going to be here next year.

I dont think we can look at our record this year to date as 23-43 (or 22-33 prior to the *prefered* lineup) and assume we will be a bit better next year at this same point. these last games of this season will be a better indication of how we sit next year, but considering the above - yes i believe it can, and will, get a lot worse before it gets better.

I think we'll play some good games where we shine and hopes get high, but hey - so do the Bobcats.

I just really really really hope we get somehow get a hold of a couple of decent vets , and/or resign Reef n ship Zach - Zach might be more of a talented indivudual but Reef is a better player for the Blazers team imo.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
NathanLane said:
I saw the Blazers play at Staples. They totally sucked and what is sad is that they were clearly trying to win the game in the 4th quarter and just couldn't. Sad, sad, sad.
That's what rebuilding does, it decreases your chances of competing on a consistent level.

To all those who tried to convince me earlier this season that the Blazers played better when Telfair was on the floor..... SHAME ON YOU. Now that he's getting the minutes, he's not doing ANYTHING SPECIAL with them. His +/- is -6.5. We are 1-10 with him as a starter. His best games were under the disciplined guidance of CHEEKS and NOT under the "here, have all the minutes you want" guidance of Pritchard.
The Blazers do play better with Telfair at point guard, rather than Damon at PG. Shame on you for looking at some website showing +/- to measure Telfair's playing ability. We are 1-10 with him as a starter? Are you sure the 1-10 has nothing to do with the injuries to Miles, Van Excel, Patterson, etc? Open your eyes and stop being so one-sided, it makes you sound worse than Fox News. Pritchard doesn't say, have all the minutes you want, if that was the case, Telfair would have played significant minutes in the 4th against the Clippers.

To all those who said we might as well play the scrubs since we were losing with the veterans.... SHAME ON YOU. Hey, we were a .400 ballclub under Cheeks, but we can't even play .100 ball under Pritchard. And don't blame injuries. Cheeks found a way to beat the Spurs without either SAR or Zach Randolph. We competed under Cheeks.
Nobody said, "play the scrubs since we were losing with the veterans," many said play the young kids who will potentially be the cornerstones of this franchise rather than playing the guys who won't be here next year, it's a better idea ain't it? We competed with Cheeks? His record says otherwise. Competing may mean play the older guys and sacrifice the future, even if we're losing by 20 to you, I don't know. So because Cheeks and the Blazers beat the Spurs without Zach or SAR, it makes him a credible coach? You're way off base.

John Nash is an absolutely AWFUL general manager. He has overpaid crappy players (see Theo Ratliff), overrated younger players (see Telfair and Outlaw who, guess what folks, just aren't as good as y'all think they are.... no, Mr. Nash-- Telfair is NOT better than Damon... geesh), and decreased the value of every single player on our roster.
How is Nash an awful GM? Because he's having to clean up the mess the Whitsitt regime created? Over paid? As if Whitsitt didn't over pay Stoudamire, DA, Patterson, Pippen, etc? Nash didn't over pay Miles, though he probably did for Theo. I don't think Ratliff is a crappy player at all, he's been injured all season, I don't think you were complaining last season when he was leading the league in blocks, correct? You only come around when things aren't going right. Telfair IS better than Pot head Stoudamire, let's see if Damon can fetch anything more than 3 mil a season in the summer. Let's give credit to Nash for acquiring Joel Przybilla for so cheap, having the balls to fire Mo-ron Cheeks, getting Viktor for 3 million cash.

This team is now an AWFUL team which can only get worse. The "good news" (if you can call it that) is that we have a fantastic chance at getting the #1 pick. The "bad news" is that the odds are that we will not get the best player in the draft with that pick. And regardless of who we get, it will be a LONG HAUL before that player is able to help us become at BEST the kind of "first round and out" team that people used to complain about.
We are an awful team, but so was the Lakers before Shaq came, the Bulls for many years before this year, etc. When you rebuild you ARE going to lose, don't get it twisted.

4) John Nash.

Go Blazers
1.I was a fan of Rasheed but he was polluting the youth and the fan base. It was just a bad situation, and he wasn't putting a 100% into the game.

2. Telfair is worthy of starting at PG, he is more than holding his own at 19 years old. No h.s. player came in and made an impact right away besides LeBron James. McGrady was horrible in his first season and may had claimed he would be out of the league after his rookie contract expired. Give him time to develope.

3. Theo Ratliff is a good basketball player, he's a former all-star. He had to be good enough to get on the all-star team. His injuries this year indicate otherwise.

4. Okay, hate John Nash, I don't know what you want him to do when nobody is willing to do. You want to complain about him not being able to trade expiring deals in Damon and Shareef but what about the Antoine Walker trade? He's an expiring deal and the Hawks couldn't get anything but Tom Gugliotta and Michael Stewart, they cut Payton so he can go back to Boston.

·
Registered
460 Posts
NathanLane said:
You didn't think they'd loose LOTS of games play'n the kids? Personally, I'm kinda glad that they were clearly trying to win, instead of mailing it in.

This is a 19 year old kid that you're throw'n a fit about. You're ready to give up on him now? YOU should be ashamed!

IMO, he's going to be a good player, and he may become a great player. If/when he does, I'll be sure to bump this thread up for ya. Hell, you might even end up changing your name again.

Lot's 'o losses means a higher draft pick. LEARN

I'm not impressed with Nash either, but I don't think he's as bad as you'd make him out to be.

Damon has terrible BB IQ, he's not a very good passer, he's a selfish player, and while he can get hot and win some games...he's VERY streaky. Worse than any of that is he can't guard ANYONE, so his production is usually offset by the guy he's watching score on the other end. I've never understood why you think Damon is actually a good player...he's not.

Telfair will be better than Damon damned soon...that's just not a very high mountain to climb.

This team is now an AWFUL team which can only get worse.
SHAME ON YOU.

Out of all the things you say here, this has to be THE dumbest. If the team is as AWFUL as you say, and suck so badly, seems to me that they can only get BETTER, right?

The "good news" (if you can call it that) is that we have a fantastic chance at getting the #1 pick. The "bad news" is that the odds are that we will not get the best player in the draft with that pick. And regardless of who we get, it will be a LONG HAUL before that player is able to help us become at BEST the kind of "first round and out" team that people used to complain about.
So, there's nobody that will be available in the top ten picks that could help for a LONG time?

If we were a first round and out team next season, I'd be ecstatic. Baby steps.

4) John Nash.
Ya got me on 1 & 2. You didn't throw Bonzi in there, too? Don't really care if you're po'ed.

Well, you hate the fans, ya hate many of the players, ya hate the management and ya live on the other side of the county in a city that has a pro hoops team. Help me out, would ya? Explain to me what the HELL you're do'n here.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
NathanLane said:
Does the team play better when Damon is the starting PG? Not by much. Yes, we would win a few more games, miss the playoffs, and get a mediocre pick that wouldn't help us. Oh, and then Damon would leave and Telfair would take longer to develope.. SHAME ON US!

Did I miss something? When were we competitive under Mo? Oh yeah, about ever 3-4 games we would be competitive. Mo is a great guy, but he was just not cutting it as a coach. All of us hate losing, but it seems like the majority are a little more interested in seeing the young guys play instead of the same ol' vets loosing it for us. SHAME ON US!

Who said Telfair and Outlaw were great now? Not sure if you know this, but Telfair was in HS just last year, and Outlaw is what, about 20yrs old. Just because Nash is not playing or has traded your favorite players, it does not mean he's a bad GM. SHAME ON US!

Good news? well, you can thank the firing of Mo for that. If we kept Mo, we would have one a few more games, but got a worse pick and our youth would not have gotten the valuable experience. And how can you predict we will only be a "first round and out" team? That's better than we are now with Damon and DA. So it seems like an improvement. SHAME ON US!

4) John Nash.
Be pissed all you want, but I'm pissed at the following:

1) Fans who wanted to keep Sheed
2) Fans who think Damon is a great PG
3) Fans who think Theo sucks(ok, Theo is overpaid, but he isn't that bad)
4) Fans who are pissed at Nash

So, SHAME ON ALL OF US!

(No one needs to take this personal, it's just for comic relief since this thread is kind of funny to begin with)

·
Banned
2,398 Posts

4) John Nash.
I think most Blazer fans had a love/hate relationship with Sheed. We recognized his talent and ability to be an incredible player. We also recognized his unwillingness to take over and assert himself when that was really what the team needed.

He has done well in Detroit because he is no longer the #1 option. He is highly overpaid for what he contributes. Many of us would have liked to have had him for the 6-8 million or so we felt he deserved. He was paid to be a leader but didn't accept the mantle.

Rookies that make immediate impact - especially a PG on a bad team (unless they are a shoot first PG with a decent shot), are the exception rather than the rule. We are constantly reminded of getting rid of Jermaine O'Neal too soon. However, he wasn't much to look at his rookie year. Telfair is at least as good as Jermaine was his rookie year - probably better. I expect Telfair to be better next year but we'll still probably wish for a better point guard. However, I do think he will be good, maybe not great but at least good.

Ratliff is uni-dimensional. He has very little offense and is not a great rebounder (although he seems to have done better lately). He is a defensive center. When healthy, he is very good at his one dimension. If we keep Joel, I like having Theo as a backup. Neither are offensive juggernauts, but both defend the middle well. Neither qualifies as a "Shaq" or anything close, but neither are stiffs either.

After the hey-day of Trader Bob, it is tough to see what we perceive as inaction. However, looking back, I'd much rather have inaction than a trade which brought us Shawn Kemp. The Blazers are just now getting out from under the mess created by Whitsett. We may not agree at this time with the contracts given to Theo or Darius, but I think most were highly in favor of at least Miles being signed. He did very well after the trade last year - as did Theo. Both were rewarded. Theo has been hurt and Miles - well, that can only be regretted when using hindshight.

I would much rather let some of our guys walk and get nothing in return rather than get overpaid stiffs in return. The young guys will struggle and lose their fair share of games, but at least by avoiding taking on bad contracts, we may have a hope of being a player in the free-agent market someday.

I also think that much more consideration is being put into chemistry. NVE and Ruben being essentially dismissed. DA similarly. Management is taking a good look at our young guys to judge what we have, how they do under pressure and get a better feel for where they are and their value. I think this is to determine who and how some of them may be packaged in potential trades during the off-season. I personally find that a smart thing to do. It won't guarantee another Jermaine O'Neal coming back to bite us but it gives a better chance for us to more fully evaluate our guys against rest of the NBA before we make a decision.

Enough rambling.

Gramps...

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Sambonius said:
We are an awful team, but so was the Lakers before Shaq came, the Bulls for many years before this year, etc. When you rebuild you ARE going to lose, don't get it twisted.
They were a 53 win team the year before Shaq got there.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talkhard said:

The Blazers WILL be better next year, but in order for that to happen we have to go through some growing pains right now. Telfair will be better next year, and so will Outlaw and Khryapa. And you can't blame these recent losses on Telfair. We're missing Randolph, Patterson, and Van Exel, who were all playing just before Cheeks left.
We can absolutely get worse. Damon and SAR will probably walk. And Van Exel won't be around. Telfair is clearly not ready to lead this team. We can only get worse next season.

The reason we lost Van Exel this year is because the team stopped caring about winning. As for losing Zach... Cheeks coached us to win over the Spurs without Zach or SAR! This team is losing because Telfair is playing too much and the team don't care a LICK about winning. Period.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts