Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but this trade was a curious one. With Wallace as our starting SF and Patterson & Q as SF's that have proven they deserve playing time, we trade our best PG (note, I don't say a good PG) for a 4th SF. I'm not so sure this really improves our overall talent level.

I have to conclude one of two things. Either we have conceded the fact Wallace will not be with us next season (either as we have a trade on the table or as he has rejected our extension offer we feel he's going to walk) or this trade sets up another not involving Wallace, but one or more of our other SF's.

If this was simply a trade to obtain Miles with our current lineup, then Nash is off his rocker. Of course, that's not always a bad thing...

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
it does look we are becoming the West Coast Grizzlies. a bunch of mediocre SF's, a streaky PG and a 7 footer who doesn't play a rugged low post game consistently.

Miles is probably a more tradeable commodity than McInnis, if only because of his shorter contract and youth. he's also a much more pleasant guy to have coming off the bench. Jeff is a notorious complainer, while Miles has taken his demotion extremely well in Cleveland.

my big question is whether Cheeks will play Woods or Miles the majority of those bench minutes. I have this nagging feeling that Cheeks will once again infuriate me by leaving Qyntel on the far side of the bench in favor of Darius.

that top 3 draft position, much like Damon's first few years in Toronto, could give Miles more credit than he deserves.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think that after the Sac. game Cheeks will think that he should start Sheed at C. (thats what he should be thinking) So if that happened I think our roster would look like this:

Sheed/Stepania/Davis
Zach/Davis/Miles
Woods/Patterson/Miles
Anderson/Person
Damon/Woods/Miles

Now that is the starting line-up I like, we are very versitle, with Miles being able to play the 1/2/3/4 Q being able to play the 1/2/3/ and Patterson being able to play the 2/3.

I personally hope that Q doesn't become a point forward like Pippen. Don't get me wrong Pippen was a GREAT player, but I think Q has more potential then that, he could become a great Shooting Guard/Small Forward. His jumpshot has gotten a lot better this year, he has pretty good 3 point range, and can handle the ball.

The SF spot could look like this too:

Miles/Patterson/Woods

or

Miles/Woods/Patterson

OR

Patterson/Miles/Woods

OR

Patterson/Woods/Miles

Thats a hard decision.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanks, I agree 100% and share the same concerns. We were a team of PF's and now were a team of SF's. However, here's a thought- with the zone defenses teams are winning one of two ways. Either they run very well or shoot very well over the zone. We do neither. If we start Wallace at center (a move I do not like) then we drmatically improve our ability to run.

As to Wallace at center, that's fine against a soft player like Divac who likes to play on the outside. But I think Wallace would play very poorly against a low post center as he doesn't like contact and could have trouble with his turnaround shot.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I've never seen a center Sheed couldn't shoot over, or a center that he couldn't defend in the post...

He's even had above average showings against Shaq. I guess I just don't share your concern.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BlazerShorty990</b>!
Sheed/Stepania/Davis
Zach/Davis/Miles
Woods/Patterson/Miles
Anderson/Person
Damon/Woods/Miles
I think it will be similar, but as you noted a slight twist

PG Damon, Qyntel, (Miles)
SG DA, Person
SF Miles, Patterson, (Woods)
PF Randolph, Davis, Outlaw
C Wallace, Stepania, (Davis)

I am hoping Davis will move back to his more natural PF spot as a reserve.
Miles is not a PF in my opinion. Not strong enough, too light weight
Qyntel has been practicing as a PG, and was teasing us a bit Sunday night at doing it.
I really only see Miles as a SF option. His shooting is horriifc at best.

Our backcourt is really thin if we get another injury

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
actually, we do disagree about Sheed. I've thought for several years now that we haven't given him enough time at Center.

at the end of games this season, we typically bench Dale and play either Sheed or Stepania at C, depending on how Vlad is playing and how well Sheed matches up with the opposing team's SF.

you say Vlad is soft, but he also happens to still be a top 6 NBA center. Sheed guarded him. the other top 5?

Ben Wallace: hell, Zach can cover Ben. the guy has no offense at all.

Duncan: Sheed already covers him most of the time. does it better than anyone other than maybe Garnett.

Yao: Dale is a better defensive matchup in some ways, but his complete lack of offense allows Yao to provide weakside shot blocking. having a 7-6 opponent who is free to roam the paint is not a good idea.

Shaq: since Sabas retired, the only way to cover Shaq is by throwing a lot of bodies at him and crossing your fingers. doesn't matter who we start, because everybody gets a turn.

Brad Miller: I'm not sure how Sheed would match up with him once Webber comes back. I'll call that one incomplete.

as for the rest of the centers in the NBA, I wouldn't be surprised to see Randolph covering them half the time. there just aren't many great offensive centers in the league who are going to punish Sheed.

when we play Utah, I am not going to be worried about the Sheed/Ostertag matchup (although you can be sure Jerry Sloan will be).

or the ever-critical Mavs Sheed/Bradley matchup.

or the Sheed/Kaman matchup.

or the Sheed/Dampier matchup.

just start going down the list, and you start to realize that starting Sheed at center instead of Dale suddenly creates a big talent mismatch in our favor against most NBA teams.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, if Wallace can and is willing to play center, then it may lead to good things. However, I disagree with Blazer Ringbearer as I've seen centers stuff his shots many times. However, he can put the ball on the floor and draw fouls.

We'll see. BTW, is there any quotes from Mo about moving Wallace to center?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Another - not really discussed - reason I'd like to see Sheed experiment at Center is because it might preserve his energy a little bit more for offense. As a 3, he seemed to be chasing top end scorers all over the court. As a Center, he'll certainly have to exert a little more muscle, but not the cardio (running) stuff.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts