Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time and again, players in ALL sports are commended for playing through pain and "toughing it out".

You know what? That's a lord of horsecrap.

I'm no Eagles fan, but look at how McNabb played tonight. He's been injured all season. Playing hurt is only going to worsen his play, which shows itself in bad decisions and bad passes.

Look at what's happening to KMart right now. He tried to come back too early and made his injuries worse.

I really really really hope that the Nets do not rush Jason Collins back. I really really really hope that Jason Collins does not rush Jason Collins back.

I'd rather he wait until he was 100% before he comes back. We have to look long term here. Even if we get 10 less wins, I'd rather have a 100% Collins at the end of the season than a 75%.

Look at Jason Kidd: He took his time and healed properly, so he was playing great by the end of the season. Granted, part of that was probably because he was pissed before the Carter trade. But it goes to show what more rest can do.

Reactions: Drew

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
furnace said:
Time and again, players in ALL sports are commended for playing through pain and "toughing it out".

You know what? That's a lord of horsecrap.

I'm no Eagles fan, but look at how McNabb played tonight. He's been injured all season. Playing hurt is only going to worsen his play, which shows itself in bad decisions and bad passes.

Look at what's happening to KMart right now. He tried to come back too early and made his injuries worse.

I really really really hope that the Nets do not rush Jason Collins back. I really really really hope that Jason Collins does not rush Jason Collins back.

I'd rather he wait until he was 100% before he comes back. We have to look long term here. Even if we get 10 less wins, I'd rather have a 100% Collins at the end of the season than a 75%.

Look at Jason Kidd: He took his time and healed properly, so he was playing great by the end of the season. Granted, part of that was probably because he was pissed before the Carter trade. But it goes to show what more rest can do.
The gods of sport were punishing McNabb and the Eagles last night for what they did to T.O. The irony is wonderful. Personally, I loved the autographing session under the goal posts and the pom-poms. Sex and the City! Perfect! McNabb deserved the criticism and if you can't take the heat, Donovan, depart the kitchen. The NFL ownership is a bunch of tight-azzed Republicans and the union should make sure that T.O. gets to play. He didn't shoot anyone, beat up anyone, etc.

Kidd did indeed take his time, which was good..but then the Nets seem to be fixated on knees. Knowing Kenyon Martin has recurring knee issues, they offer him less than the max in 2003 and then when they have a opportunity to match Denver's max offer a year--and more time in the trainers room--later, they pass. Danny Granger has a knee problem last June, the result of preseason knee surgery in 2004. They pass. Shareef Abdur-Rahim may have knee problems down the road because of wear-and-tear built up over 13 years. They pass. David Simon and Marquis Estil are invited to training camp but have knee problems. Simon leaves camp for Bulgaria. Estil doesn't even show up.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I'd argue that it is part of our culture to "tough it out" and prove how "dedicated" and "focused" you are by playing through pain. Yes, it is definitely true that you can make injuries much worse by trying to play through them. Take running injuries: shin splints can develop into a stress fracture if you don't get proper rest. But what are you going to do? As an athlete, you're in a no-win situation. If you don't play you are criticised; if you play and your performance suffers, you are criticised. It's especially tough when the team's reserves are worse than you are when you play injured. You want to be a "team player" and try to contribute; it is only natural, doubly so for these hyper-competitive people.

Anyway, Collins plays hurt all the time, and I, too, hope that this does not linger.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Mcnabb wasnt too injured to do a Micheal Jackson dance after a 1st Q TD.

Hes sitting out now bc he blew the game and theyre done

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dumpy said:
I'd argue that it is part of our culture to "tough it out" and prove how "dedicated" and "focused" you are by playing through pain. Yes, it is definitely true that you can make injuries much worse by trying to play through them. Take running injuries: shin splints can develop into a stress fracture if you don't get proper rest. But what are you going to do? As an athlete, you're in a no-win situation. If you don't play you are criticised; if you play and your performance suffers, you are criticised. It's especially tough when the team's reserves are worse than you are when you play injured. You want to be a "team player" and try to contribute; it is only natural, doubly so for these hyper-competitive people.

Anyway, Collins plays hurt all the time, and I, too, hope that this does not linger.
I agree with what you say. Atheletes are in an tough position. I am proposing that we, as Nets fans, take the pressure off of Collins to come back early, even if our reserves are worse at 100% than he is at 75%.

This general pressure that the athletes feel to come back early shows how short-sighted the American public is. If the public cannot see a few months down the road about sports, how can they possibly see what's good for this country a few years down the road?

I guess that's why W is president. Oh well.

Rest Collins!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
furnace said:
I agree with what you say. Atheletes are in an tough position. I am proposing that we, as Nets fans, take the pressure off of Collins to come back early, even if our reserves are worse at 100% than he is at 75%.

This general pressure that the athletes feel to come back early shows how short-sighted the American public is. If the public cannot see a few months down the road about sports, how can they possibly see what's good for this country a few years down the road?

I guess that's why W is president. Oh well.

Rest Collins!
It's the rampant anti-intellectualism in American culture that elected George Bush, a man who had been overseas TWICE in his life before being elected president.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
NetIncome said:
It's the rampant anti-intellectualism in American culture that elected George Bush, a man who had been overseas TWICE in his life before being elected president.
Right now it's a culture war, but as the financial divide continues to grow wider in this country and more skilled labor jobs go overseas (and those laborers turn to the low paying retail market) it could very well evolve into a class war.

Now back to basketball. I hope Collins gets better and doesn't rush back. It is becoming painfully obvious this team is lost on the defensive end without him.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NetIncome said:

I agree. I think this injured athlete situation is a good example of the anti-intellectualism you describe.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Netted- said:
Right now it's a culture war, but as the financial divide continues to grow wider in this country and more skilled labor jobs go overseas (and those laborers turn to the low paying retail market) it could very well evolve into a class war.

Now back to basketball. I hope Collins gets better and doesn't rush back. It is becoming painfully obvious this team is lost on the defensive end without him.
I completely agree.

If you look at the statistics, the gap between rich and poor has been growing in the last 5 years while the size of the middle class has been shrinking. Both of these facts support what you say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts