Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest ESPN Insider talks about Atlanta and looks for trades for their big three, Reef, Ratliff and Terry, to give them cap space. I found interesting points in what they said about all three.

Reef:

Whatever the Hawks do, they shouldn't move Rahim until they have deals in place for Ratliff and Terry. They'll become even more unruly if Rahim goes and the team takes yet another step back. Trading Rahim is the last move, not the first one.
I think this means Trader Bob can forget about getting Reef any time soon.

Ratliff:

There's talk the Blazers want Ratliff and would be willing to swap Rasheed Wallace for him if the Hawks also included Terry. Terry is a base-year player, which makes that trade more difficult, but it is doable with the right add-ons. It might be simpler for Portland to offer a combo of Wesley Person's expiring contract, Jeff McInnis and a prospect like Travis Outlaw straight up for Ratliff.
The second trade may be simpler but then we would REALLY HAVE to play Stoudamire.

Terry:

The Blazers could get it done. The Jazz could too, except the Hawks aren't allowed to trade Terry to Utah for one year, because the offer sheet they matched was from the Jazz. The Pacers have had plenty of interest in Terry in the past, but they don't have the expiring salaries to get it done.
We do have the expiring contracts and I would rather not have Terry so I was trying to come up with a trade of Rasheed to Atlanta, Terry to Indiana, Ratliff, Harrington and Tinsley here and filler all over the place. With Terry's BYC status, I couldn't get it to work, anyone else want to try to help me?

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Here's something that works (as a starting idea) - you can tweek it if you want:

PORTLAND sends Rasheed Wallace & Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje to Atlanta and sends Vladimir Stepania to Indiana

PORTLAND receives Theo Ratliff, Scot Pollard, Al Harrington & Jamaal Tinsley

ATLANTA sends Theo Ratliff to Portland and sends Jason Terry & Chris Crawford to Indiana

ATLANTA receives Rasheed Wallace & Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje

INDIANA sends Scot Pollard, Al Harrington & Jamaal Tinsley to Portland

INDIANA receives Jason Terry, Chris Crawford & Vladimir Stepania

However, even though this works under cap rules, I honestly don't see any of these 3 teams making this deal. But I hope it gives you a springboard to work from, gambitnut

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
:D :drool:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
Here's something that works (as a starting idea) - you can tweek it if you want:

PORTLAND sends Rasheed Wallace & Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje to Atlanta and sends Vladimir Stepania to Indiana

PORTLAND receives Theo Ratliff, Scot Pollard, Al Harrington & Jamaal Tinsley

ATLANTA sends Theo Ratliff to Portland and sends Jason Terry & Chris Crawford to Indiana

ATLANTA receives Rasheed Wallace & Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje

INDIANA sends Scot Pollard, Al Harrington & Jamaal Tinsley to Portland

INDIANA receives Jason Terry, Chris Crawford & Vladimir Stepania

However, even though this works under cap rules, I honestly don't see any of these 3 teams making this deal. But I hope it gives you a springboard to work from, gambitnut
Thanks SCBF, great job!!! I don't think that trade need much tweaking, just some draft picks. I don't know how you could not like getting a tall PG who once had 23 assists in a game, a budding star at SF and TWO centers. I like that so much I would even be willing to add BOTH of our first round draft picks. Our roster would look somethng like this:

Jamaal Tinsley
Jeff McInnis
Damon Stoudamire

Derek Anderson
Wesley Person
Qyntel Woods

Al Harrington
Qyntel Woods
Ruben Patterson
Travis Outlaw

Zach Randolph
Dale Davis
Travis Outlaw

Theo Ratliff
Scott Pollard
Slavko Vranes

How about if we send one pick to Atlanta and the other to Indiana and then Indiana sends their first round pick to Atlanta. Atlanta does it if they really do want to start over with expiring contract and prospects and/or draft picks. Indiana seems to not like Tinsley at all for some reason and repotedly would MUCH rather have Terry.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Thats a very nice roster... SCBF/Gambitnut.. send it in to NASH and CSMN

Ratliff stats

Tinsley stats Not that great in assists, and high in turnovers IMHO, bad shooter

Harrington stats

Do you think Atlanta does this? How about Indiana?

I think Yes, but they have no PG then and maybe not for Indiana...

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
Thats a very nice roster... SCBF/Gambitnut.. send it in to NASH and CSMN

Ratliff stats

Tinsley stats Not that great in assists, and high in turnovers IMHO, bad shooter

Harrington stats

Do you think Atlanta does this? How about Indiana?

I think Yes, but they have no PG then and maybe not for Indiana...
I think Atlanta might do it, especially with the draft picks, they wouldn't care too much about not having a PG, they won't win either way. Indiana might be the problem, that's why I was trying to help by improving their draft pick.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje has a TR1B note next to his name on the RealGM Trade Checker. I clicked on the link and found this:

TR1B =_ Trade Restriction because the player signed a 1 year contract in which they will be a Bird or Early Bird player at the end of the contract

What do we do about this?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
i like the idea of Tinsley, Ratliff, Pollard and Harrington for Sheed.

The only drawback is Damon and Dale.

We would have to trade DAle for a 1st rounder, but i like that idea because i would love to have 3 1st rounders in order to pick a PG, SF and C. That would make my day.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
i like the idea of Tinsley, Ratliff, Pollard and Harrington for Sheed.

The only drawback is Damon and Dale.

We would have to trade DAle for a 1st rounder, but i like that idea because i would love to have 3 1st rounders in order to pick a PG, SF and C. That would make my day.
After that trade, what would we need to pick a PG, SF and C for? We would get a PG, SF and two centers. I thought of trading Davis for an expiring contract and pick as well, until I realized that we would need a backup PF and Davis would fit there perfectly.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Question...Whay Al Harrington over Shareef? They are both PF's, but SHareef is a better outside shooter and ball handler.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Indy would not even consider this trade. Tinsleys stats may not look impressive right now, but look over the last 10-15 games and you'll see that he is our future point guard for a long time. Also, Harrington is our 3rd leading scorer and our spark off the bench.

Portland makes out like bandits in this trade while Indy gets rapped.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
I guess Al is younger and is Actually Shooting 25% from 3 as opposed to SAR's 22%
I dont think you would want to have either shooting many 3's for you.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!

I dont think you would want to have either shooting many 3's for you.
Sarcasm my good man sarcasm...Either player would be redundant in Portland.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
Question...Whay Al Harrington over Shareef? They are both PF's, but SHareef is a better outside shooter and ball handler.
Harrington is actually much more capable of playing the 3. He's also a substantially better defender and has more range on his jumper. I think he'd be an almost ideal fit with ZR in the front court.

Al is also significantly younger than SAR (just over 4 years younger) and has a more reasonable contract. Overall, I'd much prefer getting him to SAR (assuming we're keeping ZR around; all other things being equal, SAR might be a better player at this point).

About SCBF's idea overall: I like it, and if Tinsley's the tripping point (as R-Star thinks it would be), then forget him. He probably wouldn't start ahead of McInnis and Since he's turning 26 next month, he probably won't be much better than he is right now so it's not like he's a good prospect at this point.

Atlanta has to be willing to just totally blow things up, and unless they're walking away with picks and/or money from this deal (and not just cap space), I'm not sure that they make it. Maybe.

Ed O.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
Indy would not even consider this trade. Tinsleys stats may not look impressive right now, but look over the last 10-15 games and you'll see that he is our future point guard for a long time. Also, Harrington is our 3rd leading scorer and our spark off the bench.
I won't disagree about Harrington, but TINSLEY?

Jamaal is going to be 26 next month and he STILL hasn't got a jumper. He's been forced into action because Kenny Anderson AND Anthony Johnson have been hurt, but I find it very hard to believe that he's considered by any in the Pacers front office their PG of the future.

Portland makes out like bandits in this trade while Indy gets rapped.
I disagree. Indy gets a HUGE step up at the PG spot: Terry is 5 months older than Tinsley, but he's capable of being a big-time player on a team that's already got a couple of parts just entering their primes (O'Neal and Artest).

Harrington is a very good player, but the team wouldn't lose too much by playing some combo of Bender/Croshere/James Jones off the bench... or, rather, whatever they'd lose there they'd MORE than make up for with Jason Terry instead of Kenny Anderson/Jamaal Tinsely in the starting 5.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ed, do you still like the trade from our end with the picks added in and do you think it is fairer overall?

Also, can you tell me about the TR1B note, what it means, how it affects our ability to trade RBB this year and how we get around it? Maybe if we can't trade him and Indiana doesn't want to trade Tinsley we can just take them out or adjust the trade slightly.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

I won't disagree about Harrington, but TINSLEY?

Jamaal is going to be 26 next month and he STILL hasn't got a jumper. He's been forced into action because Kenny Anderson AND Anthony Johnson have been hurt, but I find it very hard to believe that he's considered by any in the Pacers front office their PG of the future.

I disagree. Indy gets a HUGE step up at the PG spot: Terry is 5 months older than Tinsley, but he's capable of being a big-time player on a team that's already got a couple of parts just entering their primes (O'Neal and Artest).

Harrington is a very good player, but the team wouldn't lose too much by playing some combo of Bender/Croshere/James Jones off the bench... or, rather, whatever they'd lose there they'd MORE than make up for with Jason Terry instead of Kenny Anderson/Jamaal Tinsely in the starting 5.

Ed O.
Although I know every GM says this from one time or another, but Walsh has said that he wouldnt consider trading Harrington without getting a great deal comming his way. I think alot of you have been looking at Tinsleys past instead of how hes been playing lately. When Anderson gets back from injury he will be backing up Tinsley. Since his return, commentators have been raving about how much better the whole team plays when hes on the floor. The last game I was able to catch was against Dallas. Tinsley had car trouble and missed some of practice so he didnt get to start and Indy got creamed. As soon as he got on the floor the tempo changed and Indy started to go on a run. It was very obvious why. Tinsley is one of our most valuable players right now. I dont know if you have, but if not, catch one of Indys games and I think you will see Tinsley in a new light.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!
Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje has a TR1B note next to his name on the RealGM Trade Checker. I clicked on the link and found this:

TR1B =_ Trade Restriction because the player signed a 1 year contract in which they will be a Bird or Early Bird player at the end of the contract

What do we do about this?
IF that were true, Portland would have to substitute someone like Woods or Outlaw. However, I don't think it is. It's my understanding that RBB signed a 2 year deal in 2002 and not a 1 year deal in 2002 and a 1 year deal in 2003. I think that Real GM is simply wrong on this one.

They could be right, but everything I read last season said that RBB signed a 2 year deal. Meaning that the trade restriction is not there.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!
Ed, do you still like the trade from our end with the picks added in and do you think it is fairer overall?
I think it's pretty good value for Rasheed. I'm not convinced that Theo would be that big of an upgrade over Dale, but his contract expires for the summer of 2005, which is when it looks like Portland is going to make its big Free Agent push. (According to Hoopshype.com; Patricia Bender has his contract exipring in 2006... which makes him less valuable.)

Harrington would be the key. I think if he's given a starting role he can still be a special player in the NBA. His player comparisons indicate a LOT of players have had similar levels of production at his age, but he brings a nice offense/defense combination and an intensity level that I think would be good for Portland.

Also, can you tell me about the TR1B note, what it means, how it affects our ability to trade RBB this year and how we get around it? Maybe if we can't trade him and Indiana doesn't want to trade Tinsley we can just take them out or adjust the trade slightly.
You can read about the restriction here:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#84

It's like it sounds: a player who signs a one year deal and will end the year with Bird or Early Bird rights can't be traded. That's to prevent teams from signing their guys to a series of one year deals, it seems to me.

As far as what we could do about it: not much. Portland just doesn't have many cheap pieces to deal, the way we have had the last couple of years, and it makes filling in salary gaps a bit difficult.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts