Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Golden State roster, and I remembered the hype after the draft about possible ideas for what to do with Pietrus. First off, I'll state my ideal plan for Golden State, and if you dont agree with me, after reading the next sentence you can pretty much click reply and say 'no'.

I believe the Dunleavy Jr. has the talent to become a point-forward, so on offense, Dunleavy would play the 1, while J-Rich and Pietrus would play the 2 and 3 respectively. Troy Murphy will stay the 4, and hopefully we will resign Erick Dampier (but not Foyle) at the 5.

This plan was made up, not by me, but by the Golden State fans after the draft, I just agree with it. But I think the coaches dont even have this plan in their sights. From what I have seen, Musselman relies on shooting a lot at the expense of passing. While the talent on this team screams the ability to pass the ball, a la a Princeton or Triangle offense. Therefore, I say that a coaching change is in need. Possible suitors are the following:

Jim Cleamons - LA Lakers and Chicago Bulls Assistant, Phil Jackson's right hand man

Doug Collins, Former Washington Wizards, Chicago Bulls, and head of Detroit Pistons Basketball Operations

Byron Scott - Duh...

Herb Sendek - N.C. State Coach, Runs a variant of the Princeton offense. Assistant under Rick Pitino. Criticized at NC State, but he might not be in the right situation.

Rick Pitino - Legendary collegiate coach, do I need to go through his history?

If I had to choose, I'd go with the probable un-popular vote and go with Doug Collins because of his work with young players not named Kwame. Both Scottie Pippen and Grant Hill were taught under Collins and those are the kind of players I envision Dunleavy to be.

If not Collins, I'd go with Pitino, despite his dissapointing nba coaching career, he definatly deserves a second chance, and Golden State seems like a nice spot for him to come in to.

My list would go like this:

1. Doug Collins
2. Rick Pitino
3. Byron Scott
4. Jim Cleamons
5. Herb Sendek

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I'd stick for Muss, as of right now. One bad month doesn't suddenly made Muss a bad coach, IMO.

The offense is fine. When they lost, it was just a matter of guys not knocking down shots as well as poor defending down the strecth. Muss is not a very good in-game strategist, but again not many coaches were with his age. I personally thought using Mike D as an extra passer allowed the Warriors moving the ball much more smoothly than a one-PG set. The whole team, including Muss, is struggling with various things right now so it's easy to find a scapegoat but let's not forget there's still time for the Warriors to right its ship.

Young players developing while learning from the veterans. I thought this is a good coaching philosophy and it's certainly working to some extent. Though I agreed Pietrus has to play more.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you didnt get the point of what I was saying. I'm not basing my opinion on any month's play, I think that the coach has the wrong ideals for the team. I think the coach's philosophy can work, but not as well as one that incorporates more passing, for instance the Princeton offense that Pitino could bring or the triangle offense that Collins or Cleamons could use.

Also, as I've said before, Collins is a proven teacher and guide, with the proof being Pippen and Grant, and even Kwame in a way. Collins and Jordan knew Kwame was a bust before everyone else caught on. Ha, there are many who still believe it. So in that case, he's also a good judge on talent.

I didnt finish my/your plan for the ideal starting lineup

Offense:
C: Dampier
PF: Murphy
SF: Pietrus
SG: J-Rich
PG: Dunleavy

Defense
C: Dampier
PF: Murphy
SF: Dunleavy
SG: J-Rich
PG: Pietrus

Well, I could have just said make Pietrus guard the opposing PG and play SF on offense... but doing lineups is fun. This can work because of Pietrus' defensive skills.

Again, it's not an insult to Muss, I see him as an NBA coach, just somewhere else where his offense could work to the strengths of a team. Orlando, Miami, or Atlanta I could see being a good fit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That lineup would not get it done. You can't make Piertrus a starter already. Where is Claxton?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
I'd stick for Muss, as of right now. One bad month doesn't suddenly made Muss a bad coach, IMO.

The offense is fine. When they lost, it was just a matter of guys not knocking down shots as well as poor defending down the strecth. Muss is not a very good in-game strategist, but again not many coaches were with his age. I personally thought using Mike D as an extra passer allowed the Warriors moving the ball much more smoothly than a one-PG set. The whole team, including Muss, is struggling with various things right now so it's easy to find a scapegoat but let's not forget there's still time for the Warriors to right its ship.

Young players developing while learning from the veterans. I thought this is a good coaching philosophy and it's certainly working to some extent. Though I agreed Pietrus has to play more.
I agree to keep Muss. Dunleavy as a point-forward is a good idea for intermittent use, but i dont see it as a constant or even as a starting line-up move.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't make Piertrus a starter already
Actually its pretty possible, Pietrus, because he was a star in France, was one of the most nba-ready players selected in the draft. I'm pretty surprised about his poor numbers, but his style of play doesnt agree with Muss'.

Where is Claxton?
Claxton can be used in the same fashion Pietrus would be. The downside of this would be a decline in defense.

I agree to keep Muss. Dunleavy as a point-forward is a good idea for intermittent use, but i dont see it as a constant or even as a starting line-up move.
Your probably right, so i'll refine my plan, When Claxton is playing, he and Dunleavy can both bring it up, a la Ron Harper and Scottie Pippen. When Pietrus is in... i guess Dunleavy could handle the job himself.

And about how your worried that Dunleavy isnt able to play the traditional point guard position, I'm not asking him to, I'm asking him to play the role of Pippen in a triangle offense, which involves passing throughout the entire team, therefore the bulk isn't on one player. Doug Collins is perfect for this job the more and more I think about it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Good thinking SKLB. Actually someone brought the similar lineup idea as yours in another board and I thought it's worth a try for short occasions. The problem is, the Warriors have had so many injuries at various time so they aren't even able to figure out a stable rotations yet. Pietrus is coming along and I think he'll get more and more minutes down the line. But when everyone's healthy, NVE, Speedy, or even AJ would take all the minutes at PG. I thin we're 'too deep' :eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
What do you guys think of Rick Barry being the next Warriors coach? I know he is eager to have the job but his personallity is the only thing keeping him from getting a job in the NBA.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Rick Barry
Although a great player, I'm pretty bent on bringing the Triangle offense to Golden State.

It drives me crazy how similar this offense is to Chicago's during their dynasty years.

C: Erick Dampier - Better version of Longley/Cartwright
PF: Troy Murphy - Horace Grant-like Player
SF: Mike Dunleavy - Scottie Pippen all the way
SG: Jason Richardson - Jordan/Kobe, not as good, but similar games
PG: Speedy Claxton - Ron Harper

All the pieces of the puzzle are there, just they need a coach to lead them to greatness. Jim Cleamons or Doug Collins are those people.

Oh and I'm refining my list too:

1. Tex Winter, Creator of the Triangle Offense, LA and Chicago Assistant
2. Jim Cleamons, Jackson's right hand man
3. Kurt Rambis, Former player and assistant to Phil Jackson
4. Doug Collins, Former Chicago and Washington coach
5. Frank Hamblen, Another assistant to Jackson
6. Jim Wooldridge, Kansas State coach (Triangle)
7. Michael Jordan?

Another point I'd like to make, Musselman would probably be immediatly signed by Atlanta because that seems to be a perfect match.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
IMO, I think Muss has done a great job getting the most out his talent and experience level. He basically has a bunch of talented kids and aging contributors. He has brought the best out of Speedy, Cardinal, and Chaney. I like Muss; I'll trade you guys D'Antoni for him :D

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was looking at the Golden State roster, and I remembered the hype after the draft about possible ideas for what to do with Pietrus
I know pietrus for a few years and he is a talented player but do you think he could fit in the starting five right now?
I did not see him play this year and being a pretty hard worker , he is certainly better than he was last year in France. His jay was pretty good and is doubtless still better now. he is a good rebounder too , especially for a guard.A good defender ok. But his ballhanding? his game without the ball? his ability to attack the rim?
IMO Pietrus need to have some time to developp calmly.he is in a good team with plenty of veterans who can learn him not only the game , but the language , in one word : the professionalism.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
If you want a passing offense, there's nothing about Collins that makes him special. Jordan regularly ignored him when Collins was Chicago's coach and the team rarely ran any coherent offense.

Scottie Pippen was really Phil Jackson's protege, not Collins'. I suppose you can say that Grant Hill developed under Collins, but I don't think that that one player makes Collins' an exciting retread coaching candidate.

I think Musselman is a fine coach and worth keeping until a true upgrade is available. Pitino has really not succeeded at the NBA level in two tries, with the Knicks and with the Celtics. And he bombed with the Celtics.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SKLB54</b>!
I was looking at the Golden State roster, and I remembered the hype after the draft about possible ideas for what to do with Pietrus. First off, I'll state my ideal plan for Golden State, and if you dont agree with me, after reading the next sentence you can pretty much click reply and say 'no'.

I believe the Dunleavy Jr. has the talent to become a point-forward, so on offense, Dunleavy would play the 1, while J-Rich and Pietrus would play the 2 and 3 respectively. Troy Murphy will stay the 4, and hopefully we will resign Erick Dampier (but not Foyle) at the 5.

This plan was made up, not by me, but by the Golden State fans after the draft, I just agree with it. But I think the coaches dont even have this plan in their sights. From what I have seen, Musselman relies on shooting a lot at the expense of passing. While the talent on this team screams the ability to pass the ball, a la a Princeton or Triangle offense. Therefore, I say that a coaching change is in need. Possible suitors are the following:

Jim Cleamons - LA Lakers and Chicago Bulls Assistant, Phil Jackson's right hand man
<b>This guy was a loser when he tried to coach the mavericks - disaster!</b>

Doug Collins, Former Washington Wizards, Chicago Bulls, and head of Detroit Pistons Basketball Operations
<b>Doug only returned to coaching because of Mike - no way would he come to GS.</b>

Byron Scott - Duh... <b>Scott does employ good assistants.</b>

Herb Sendek - N.C. State Coach, Runs a variant of the Princeton offense. Assistant under Rick Pitino. Criticized at NC State, but he might not be in the right situation.<b> I don't like college coaches much, as they seem to forget that this is a professional league - not a boy's club.</b>

Rick Pitino - Legendary collegiate coach, do I need to go through his history?<b>Rick is ill and he can't coach in the NBA, as he keeps forgetting these are men and Not College KIDS. In other words, he doesn't treat them with respect for their chosen profession.</b>

If I had to choose, I'd go with the probable un-popular vote and go with Doug Collins because of his work with young players not named Kwame. Both Scottie Pippen and Grant Hill were taught under Collins and those are the kind of players I envision Dunleavy to be.

If not Collins, I'd go with Pitino, despite his dissapointing nba coaching career, he definatly deserves a <b>second chance, - <i>Uhhhh, try a Third chance? You must have forgotten his tenure with the Knicks. </i></b>and Golden State seems like a nice spot for him to come in to.

My list would go like this:

1. Doug Collins
2. Rick Pitino
3. Byron Scott
4. Jim Cleamons
5. Herb Sendek
Musselman seems to be doing great - considering you're in the west and you lost your 2 point guards and your star forward and your big time rebounder.

I actually thought that the Warriors would be lucky to win 15 games this year, considering how many players they lost to free agency - so Musselman has surprised me with his coaching leadership.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PLEASE IGNORE MY FIRST COUPLE POSTS AND READ ON TO MY LATEST ONES...

DONT JUST READ MY FIRST AND CRITICIZE, I LEARNED A LOT AND MY ONLY TRUE OPINION IS IN MY LATEST POST

thank you

If you'll notice, my list drastically changed from my first post to my last, I wasnt even going to put Collins on the list but decided why not because at #4, the point had already been made that I want the first 3 to coach.

So please, I probably should just go ahead and delete my first couple posts because my opinion is more educated as the posts continue.

Just another note of the change in my opinion, I totally scrapped the idea of having a Princeton offense here and now only want a Triangle, as it would be in the best interest. So those of you who have probably dismissed this thread after reading Collins, Sendek, and Pitino, please, read on.

Please if your going to comment on the coaches, comment on my final list of:

1. Tex Winter, Creator of the Triangle Offense, LA and Chicago Assistant
2. Jim Cleamons, Jackson's right hand man
3. Kurt Rambis, Former player and assistant to Phil Jackson
4. Doug Collins, Former Chicago and Washington coach
5. Frank Hamblen, Another assistant to Jackson
6. Jim Wooldridge, Kansas State coach (Triangle)
7. Michael Jordan?

Lastly,

This guy was a loser when he tried to coach the mavericks - disaster!
Do not dismiss coaches with a bad past, it may just be that they were put in the wrong situation. This case also applies to Pitino, who in my mind couldnt have had his offense work in Boston, just the wrong scenario with the wrong players.

Also, about Cleamons, how about instead of pointing out a fault with his career, how about pointing out all the Championships he's one with Jackson.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts