Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm a Pistons' fan and nothing seems to be popping over there and everything is happening over here in the
Bulls forum, so how would you all rank the bulls individual players in terms of their impact 1-12?

For instance:

1. Jalen Rose
2. Tyson Chandler
12. Corie Blount

·
Registered
38 Posts
1)Rose
2)Fizer
3)Chandler
4)Hassell
5)JWill
6)ERob
7)Curry
8)Blount
9)Hoiberg
10)Crawford
11)Baxter
12)Bagaric

Give or take a spot or two...This will be close IMO.
If Baxter is on the active roster he will give good spot minutes, that is why I include him.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It's sort of hard to rank players in such a cut and dry manner like that, being that this is such a young team, and roles really haven't been defined yet, but here's a shot, with players being ranked in terms of how crucial each player will be to the teams success in the upcoming year.

1. Jalen Rose -- A no brainer. Right now he's the catalyst for the rest of the team. The only easy one to rank. After this, it all gets kind of hazy.

2. Jay Williams -- He probably has the best chance of anyone being an impact player this year, outside of Rose. I'm fairly confident that he will iron out the problems he had with his poor shooting and high turnovers.

3. Tyson Chandler -- His offense is still lacking somewhat, but if he could establish himself as a defensive presence this year, it would mean a lot to this team.

4. Eddy Curry -- Offensively he has it. Defensively, he doesn't, from the looks of it. If he could turn himself into an adequate defender this year, along with his low post offense to spread the floor out, he would do this team very well.

5. Eddie Robinson -- This is assuming he's healthy and is as good as management makes him out to be. No one really know how good he is yet, or isn't, for that matter. But with the money we're paying him, and the high praises Krause and Bill Cartwright has for him, I would assume he'd get around 30-36 minutes a night.

6. Jamal Crawford -- I really have no idea where to put him. I guess this spot is as good as any. If he is our starting pg, you could probably put him at number two, but I really have no clue. He's still an enigma of sorts.

7. Marcus Fizer -- He's probably the best post player on this team, despite the hype around everyone else. He was probably our most consistent scorer last year besides Jalen. If he could just play a little more defense and shoot a higher %, people would have to stop compaining about him.

8. Trenton Hassell -- He probably deserves to be higher, but oh well. There's a good chance he'll be our starting SG, so his impact will definitely be felt. He is a very good role player, usually makes smart decisions, doesn't demand the ball all that much on offense, and plays very good D. Sort of a glue guy.

9. Cory Blount -- He'll probably play 15-20 minutes a game, grab some rebounds, play some defennse, and get garbage buckets, just like he's always done.

10. Dalibor Bagaric -- I wish I could put him lower, but he'll probably see 10 minutes a game. He really doesn't do anything well but foul.

11. Fred Hoiberg -- If he could find his shot again, it would help. Without it, he's practically useless.

12. Lonny Baxter -- It looks like he'll make the team. He'll probably split time on the IR and being a twelfth man, where he'll mostly get DNP-CD's, and maybe 5-10 minutes here and there.

13. Roger Mason Jr. -- See above.

If there are any more players on the team right now, I can't think of them, which probably means they aren't important, so this shoud give you a decent idea. Of course, it's only my opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree, but hopefully this is what you were looking for.

But in all honesty, it's very hard to tell with this team, with the lack of defined roles, and all the trade speculation. Really, the most realistic way to define our players' importance would be to place them into four groups like:

1. Jalen Rose our star.

2. All the young players who figure to get heavy minutes (Fizer, Tyson, Jamal, Jay, Eddy, E-Rob)

3. The bit role players (Dali, Fred, Cory)

4. And the fringe, IR players (Lonny, Roger, whoever else makes the team.)

Atleast that's the way I see it.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Say, this isn't...

Originally posted by CHawk
1)Rose
2)Fizer-Fanatic....is it???*************
3)Chandler
4)Hassell
5)JWill
6)ERob
7)Curry
8)Blount
9)Hoiberg
10)Crawford
11)Baxter
12)Bagaric

Give or take a spot or two...This will be close IMO.
If Baxter is on the active roster he will give good spot minutes, that is why I include him.
Just wondered. IF it is send me a PM?:confused:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Okay, I'll take a crack at this....

This is how I think it wil shake out this season:

1) Jalen Rose
2) Jay Williams
3) Trenton Hassell
4) Tyson Chandler
5) Eddie Curry
6) Jamal Crawford
7) Matt Harpring(IF selected)
8) Marcus Fizer
9) Lonney Baxter
10) Tim Hardaway(IF selected)
11) Roger Mason
12) Blount
13) I/R EROB
14) I/R Hoiberg
15) I/R Bagaric - no brainer (Him and the selection!):yes: :grinning: :laugh:

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Ben Wallace: He's the do it all defender. Everything on the defensive side of the ball starts with him.

2. Jerry Stackhouse: Our main offensive threat.

3. Corliss Williamson: 6th Man of the Year. Excellent in coming off the bench and providing a huge spark.

4. Chauncey Billups: Should come in and solve some of our problems at the point guard position. Definate improvement over Damon Jones.

5. Cliff Robinson: Solid starter that provides the team with experience. He's also a pretty good second or third option.

6. Zeljko Rebraca: Key post-man off the bench. Will be critical in our chances to repeat as division chances.

7. Chucky Atkins: Coming off the bench will be a great thing for his career. He'll be one of the top 5 back-up point guards.

8. Jon Barry: Excellent back-up to Jerry. Provides us with three-point shooting. Can make a shot from anywhere on the court.

9. Rodney White: Need him to develop into some sort of contributer this year. Had good summer league.

10. Michael Curry: Provides a veteran leadership that's very valuable. Should stay with the team once he retires as an assistant coach.

11. Mehmet Okur: Rookie from Europe. I'm not sure what to expect yet, but from what I hear and read he will contribute off of our bench.

12. Tayshaun Prince: Will have to earn a spot in the rotation. Should be a solid back-up at many positions in the coming year.

I asked this question in the Pistons thread and I always reply after everyone else but my friend jvanbusk had it like this and I had it the same exact way so it was no need for me to post so anyways there it is.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
1. Jalen (No explanation necessary)

2A. Curry (On a couple occasions, Eddy would just score basket after basket on offense, with no one stopping him. He'll do that more often this year).

2B. Chandler (Can change games with his defense in the same way Curry does with his offense).

2C. JWill. Supreme quickness, a tireless and relentless attitude. Those facts mean JWill will change games Bulls.

(I'm not sure how to pick an order between those three. In the long run, I think all three will be game-changing, "Impact players". This year, however, I don't think ANY of them will do it consistently).

5. Trenton Hassell. His impact is that he's the guy getting the toughest defensive assignment. If we bring in Harpring or someone else steps up, maybe he goes down to six.

6. Jamal Crawford. Does not appear to be dominating but has the skills to be very good at everything. If he comes in with the attitude that he's going to work his *** off and play beat down defense, he's got the skills to beat out Trent and perhaps win the long-term job at SG. If he sulks or starts to *****, then he could have an equal but opposite (negative) impact.

7. Marcus Fizer. Still trade bait after all these years. Will contribute on offense. Hopefully will continue to show improvement on defensive end going into his third season.

8. Eddie Robinson. Who knows. Could be a very solid guy in almost all phases... or he could play twenty games.

9. - 12. Will have little to no appreciable impact.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think Bags belongs much higher on the list. The question was 'impact'. It didn't say positive impact! Just think of Bags game and the negative impact he can generate and now where does he belong?

·
Registered
520 Posts
1. Rose
2. JWill
3. Curry
4. Erob
5. Tyson
6. Jamal
7. Trenton
8. Dali (this is based on his NEGATIVE impact on a game)
9. Fizer
10. Blount
11. Baxter
12. Mason Jr.

4-9, and maybe 3-9, are almost totally interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I might as well jump in and give this a crack. For clarification purpurses, I'm determined "impact" using stat projection and the following basic formula:

Points-Per-Game (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
+ Assists-Per-Game (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
+ Rebounds-Per-Game (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
+ Blocks-Per-Game (x 2) (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
+ Steals-Per-Game (x 2) (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
- Pts-Scored-Against-Per-Game (x .5) (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
- Missed-Shots-Per-Game (.5) (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75
- Turnovers-Per-Game (x2) (Prorated to 48 mins) x .75

Here's an explaination on how the formula was derived.

First, the projected stats in every category will be prorated to 48 minutes. This will level the playing field for players who have to share minutes. Next, I've taken 75% of the prorated stats to adjust for fatigue, fouling out, and other factors.

Points-Per-Game were given full value (as they contribute directly to wins and losses). As do assists and rebounds for the most part. Rebounds can be a little misleading because a player is awarded a rebound off of a free throw miss or his own missed shot. On the plus side, they secure a possession for the team which may result in a bucket.

Blocks and steals were doubled as they not only prevent scoring, but they often lead to a shot opportunity on the other end.

I took half of the Points-Scored-Against. By rights, I should have taken away a full point for every point against , but in a zone it's difficult to determine who was really scored on. Also, even the best defenders are scored on. The advantage clearly goes to the offensive player. However, there was no way that I could have not considered D as a factor of impact. So I halfed it.

The same goes for missed shots. Points-per-Game are misleading if you're missing twice as many as you make. Missed shots often result in a change of possession and sometimes a bucket for the opposition. However, it's natural that a player is going to miss some. Which is why I took a half point for each missed shot.

Finally, turnovers were doubled. Turnovers are critical to the success of any team. Typically teams with the most turnovers lose (assuming that rebounding and steals are close to equal). A turnover not only prevents you from scoring, it gives the opposition an extra chance to score. Therefore I doubled TOs.

So without further ado ...

1. Jalen Rose; Aside from D, he contributes in every category and will score 20-25 per night and dish out 7-10 assists.

2. Curry; Eddy looks like he's developed a decent mid range shot. That along with his natural ability to score down low, rebound, pass out of a double team, and block shots. I expect him to have a great year for a kid who's just a full year removed from H.S.

3. Chandler; Until I'm proved otherwise, most of Chandler's scoring will come from put backs and alley oops. He sort of caught the league by surprise last year, so I would expect teams to pay more attention to him this season. Although, he should lead the team in blocks and maybe get a few steals in. Rebounding help his factor score as well.

4. Crawford; JC has the potential to score 18-20 ppg, dish out 8-10 assists, and snag 4-6 rpg. Depending on how much action JWill gets, those numbers may be a little overstated.

5. Hassell; Steals, Rebounding, Points-Scored, and Points-Scored-Against contribute mostly to his factor score.

6. JWill; JWill was the most difficult for me to rate as I haven't had a chance to see him against NBA-level talent. An no, summer leagues and JR's All Star game don't count. I expect his turnovers, missed shots, points-scored-against, and lack of rebounding to bring his score down. He'll score and dish out a few, but I don't see him contributing greatly in the other categories.

7. Fizer; Points, Rebounds (which I expect to do much more this season) will help. Points-scored-Against hurt his score.

8. Baxtor; Rebounds, Rebounds, Rebounds, and a few points.

9. ERob; If I awarded a point for every great dunk, ERob might be on top. It was difficult to rate him as well. His D is so bad, that I think Points-Scored-Against will washout his Points-Scored, Rebounding, and Assists combined. ERob is a guy who if he plays at the top of his game, all we can hope for is a nuetral outcome. I really hope I am dead wrong about this. I really like ERob. I really want him to do have a breakout season. But based on what I saw of him last season when he wasn't hurt, I don't have any reason to think that he'll be much better.

10. Blount; Low impact - Servicable player
11. Mason Jr.; Low minutes = Low Impact.

12. Dail; Negative Impact. Cut the loser now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.