Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time to talk seriously about this.

1. Nothing has actually changed since March 13, when we all (hopefully) started hiding inside from Coronavirus. It's still spreading at a high rate, has already killed the equivalent of TWO VIETNAM WARS worth of Americans (and counting), and we have absolutely nothing to protect ourselves from it, aside from isolation from other people.

2. Dozens of schools have cut sports -- Stanford just cut 11. So the economics of not playing is very bad for everyone. Luckily it's much better for most of us in the A-10.

3. MLS, NBA, WNBA are discovering that sports inside a bubble still has massive problems given the current state of the pandemic. MLB isn't trying the bubble and that means they're going to be worse off.

4. Ivy canceled their fall seasons and aren't doing anything until January. Every FBS commissioner asked for a reaction said "The Ivy League has a different model than we have."

Of course, they said the same thing on March 10, when the Ivy League cancelled their MBB Tourney; and by March 13, everyone had canceled. So, the question we need to ask ourselves is: Is the Ivy League really a different model, or are is the Ivy League just full of really smart people who came to the correct conclusion a few days before everyone else?

Well, the Big Ten just canceled fall sports non-conference play. The ACC just pushed back their start to Sept. 1. These BCS guys are kicking the can down the road hoping they can somehow luck into "collecting ticket sales" if someone solves our global problem in the next couple weeks.

I just don't see how we get a college hoops season done safely when interacting with those outside your own family living unit is a risky venture.

Each team can be its own family living unit and be safe. College road trips are like this: Players, Coaches, Athletic Trainer, Ops person, SID act like one family unit.

Of course, they have to go to airports, restaurants, hotels and see other people; and that's what makes it difficult to keep an air-tight unit. Now you need bus drivers, cooks, referees, scorers table personnel in the air-tight unit, too. The only way to safely get it done is a big old quarantine hub city, like the NBA/MLS/WNBA is trying. And that's not going so well. And they have Million$ on the line for TV deals, while the A-10 has pennies compared to that.

It's probably simply not worth trying to pull it off for the reward we get back of $350,000 per school from TV.

I'm not optimistic about this season. Hope you all are safe.

·
Piker
8,995 Posts
I feel like this is going the way of conference play and light capacity or no fans at the games.

·
Piker
8,995 Posts
I am all kinds of angry which adjoins my confusion, grief and paranoia.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I dont think fans will be at games this year. Even if they are, I doubt I will attend one unless the virus situation improves dramatically.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Who and/or what is "they" here, Bill?

That pronoun is doing a lot of work in that exclamation.
You know exactly who they are! Those bastards! Supporting details aren’t necessary anymore! Just make negative assertions toward vague personal pronouns.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Haven't 2 or 3 MLS teams already retired from their "tournament" because of multiple positives. I can't imagine that not happening in the NBA playoffs or the first week or two of the NFL season. Sports ain't gonna happen for awhile yet.

I'm learning to love NASCAR.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I agree; I don't see anything changing enough in the next five months that alters the overall landscape on this.
Exactly, and that is precisely why all these "decisions" by the college conferences appears to be them just kicking the proverbial can down the road. They are basically holding out hope that some miracle happens.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It seems the Spiders will not only be the preseason champs, but regular ones also. Well done!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry to poop in everyone's cornflakes.

But there's simply no way to have 200+ kids on campus safely, and if you can't do that the only universities who will have sports will be the teams with millions of dollars of TV money on the line, and put that ahead of the safety of their student-athletes. Any responsible person who puts human life ahead of money is going to decide to not play. And quite frankly, I want our schools to be the kind of people who won't risk the lives of our players.

This is why the Big Ten and everyone else looking at conference-only is kidding themselves. The biggest problem of a pandemic is travel. You can lock yourself inside for months as a team and be safe. But you're going to get on an airplane and fly from Iowa to Maryland and if your flight attendant is asymptomatic, you're team is fucked.

So put your charter flight crew in the bubble with you! You still security before flights, then you land and hop on the bus with this bus driver, and then you get to a hotel -- maybe they stay in the home teams' empty dorms this season so they can control that -- okay, food. How many individuals do you encounter when getting food. You start adding up EVERY individual you come into contact with living a normal life and it's a staggeringly high number of people when you're assuming everyone out there is infected and can compromise the whole damned thing.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Article in Charleston paper today about outlook for college sports.
Worked off the hypothesis that the Power 5 will do whatever they want to keep $ flowing in football.
Going to conference only games hurts the smaller schools who depended on buy game $ from them.
Some options for smaller programs than P-5, and also maybe for P-5 non-revenue sports:
1 - create new conferences that are more geographically logical for various sports, to lower plane trips/hotels
2 - utilize "sponsorships" to support teams (Fairway Ford Fordham Rams)

Spiders would probably be sponsored by a pest control company.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I am not suggesting that that COVID-19 isn’t serious but this BS is a problem ...

A week ago the CDC announced that COVID-19 was reaching the threshold of not being classified as an epidemic. Another study took this information and removed COVID-19 nursing home deaths from the six or so states that forced or permitted hospitals to send COVID-19 patients back to nursing homes and found that without these nursing home deaths it wouldn’t have reached epidemic status.

The mortality rate among young people is very low. The number of new cases is increasing due to the number of tests increasing yet the positive rates are lower or the same. The CDC cited more positive results with younger age groups and a better awareness of how to treat the virus. The Europeans found no evidence that children spread the virus.

I don’t care that the academics decided to go to 100% on-line classes and cancel fall sports, or that Stanford eliminated co-ed sailing and women’s sailing along with 10 other sports that no member of this forum would ordinarily care about.

I work with “middle market” sized businesses and they aren’t canceling anything and learned very quickly how to manage through the virus.

College sports can figure it out as well,

1 - 20 of 78 Posts