Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
I was trying to that Fl St's leaving left a hole the tournament would have to fill with another team...so another chance for someone to participate in the field.
With 10 team conferences like the Big 12 playing a round robin, they would have 13 OOC games in a 31 game season, and 9 OOC games this coming year.

·
Piker
9,103 Posts
I was trying to that Fl St's leaving left a hole the tournament would have to fill with another team...so another chance for someone to participate in the field.
With 10 team conferences like the Big 12 playing a round robin, they would have 13 OOC games in a 31 game season, and 9 OOC games this coming year.
I posted something earlier about the ESPN sponsored tournaments being in the Orlando bubble. They various tournaments will be played and then teams will go outside of the tournaments to continue to play teams. In other words, VCU might play some teams that are in Orlando for another tournament. There was an article that indicated VCU and UVA might play in that bubble even though they are in different tournaments.

Also, the max allowed this year is 27 regular season games but I have not read about a minimum number of games required. Some teams might play 20 games.

·
Piker
9,103 Posts
Just cancel the whole damn season. Cancel all of college athletics. Shit, just cancel normal life forever.
I just look at it is my freshman year of college. It was all a blur and a lost year. I recovered.

·
Piker
9,103 Posts

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Ok, time to talk seriously about this.

1. Nothing has actually changed since March 13, when we all (hopefully) started hiding inside from Coronavirus. It's still spreading at a high rate, has already killed the equivalent of TWO VIETNAM WARS worth of Americans (and counting), and we have absolutely nothing to protect ourselves from it, aside from isolation from other people.
We've passed 3 and are headed to 4. Hopefully they'll be a good vaccine by 2021. Go Spiders!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
They didn't get a vaccine for SARS or MERS and they were far more deadly. Of the ~200K covid deaths in the USA, 0.2% have been people < 25 yo. 78.5% are 65+. 90% are 55+. Why has everything shut down - sports, schools, working age population in general - for the lowest risk populations? All those MLB positives.. how many died? The facts remain that almost 95% of all covid deaths were individuals were underlying health conditions. And the majority of the remainder were in the elderly population. College/pro athletes aren't exactly filling the "high-risk" pool. There is a higher chance of a travel death to/from contests than dying of covid. Working age population has under a 0.1% IFR, and IFR for student-age population under 0.01%.

sarc/ I hope there's a vaccine too, because then all the sheep will line up to be injected and we'll get back to normal. /sarc The fallout from the percentage of people for whom the vaccine isn't effective will make March/April 2020 look like a walk in the park. Read up on the effectiveness of past attempts at cv vaccines, and what happened to the animals when exposed to virus - if it worked it worked, if it didn't, their disease severity was worse and mortality rate was multiples higher than control. There were also post-vaccination lung and liver damage observations. I will 100% take my chances with an infection and < 0.1% chance of death over a vaccine with 60-80% effectiveness and more severe cv if I contract it.

Stop listening to the jpschmacks of the world telling you how terrifying life is right now.

I'm out.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
People can do what they want but the effects of the virus are real. There will be heart and lung issues in people who had it. It has to be contained. My biggest motivator for not getting it is I dont want to have it and spread it to my elderly parents and grandmother. If they got it and died because of me then I would never forgive myself. What were the death rates for SARS and MERS...like 15k combined? How can you even compare that to 200k and growing?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I already went over all the SARS and MERS information literally in this thread. They were more deadly but not nearly as infectious. Comparing COVID-19 to either of those based solely on the morbidity rate is stupid, and you are incredibly stupid for doing so.

95% of the people having co-morbidities doesn't mean what you think it does. It means that 5% of the death certificates were most likely incomplete.

There's no more being nice about this. Stop being a dumbass.

·
Piker
9,103 Posts
They didn't get a vaccine for SARS or MERS and they were far more deadly. Of the ~200K covid deaths in the USA, 0.2% have been people < 25 yo. 78.5% are 65+. 90% are 55+. Why has everything shut down - sports, schools, working age population in general - for the lowest risk populations? All those MLB positives.. how many died? The facts remain that almost 95% of all covid deaths were individuals were underlying health conditions. And the majority of the remainder were in the elderly population. College/pro athletes aren't exactly filling the "high-risk" pool. There is a higher chance of a travel death to/from contests than dying of covid. Working age population has under a 0.1% IFR, and IFR for student-age population under 0.01%.

sarc/ I hope there's a vaccine too, because then all the sheep will line up to be injected and we'll get back to normal. /sarc The fallout from the percentage of people for whom the vaccine isn't effective will make March/April 2020 look like a walk in the park. Read up on the effectiveness of past attempts at cv vaccines, and what happened to the animals when exposed to virus - if it worked it worked, if it didn't, their disease severity was worse and mortality rate was multiples higher than control. There were also post-vaccination lung and liver damage observations. I will 100% take my chances with an infection and < 0.1% chance of death over a vaccine with 60-80% effectiveness and more severe cv if I contract it.

Stop listening to the jpschmacks of the world telling you how terrifying life is right now.

I'm out.
Sounds like you are the 🐑.

Reactions: 1105

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

I'm out.
You’re a dumbass. What the fuck do you know?

What you know is that the virus generally has a much different impact on people that are not healthy and typically are the older parts of the population. You probably realize that we have a better understanding of the virus and how to manage the treatment of those that are infected. You probably know that cases may be going up in certain parts of the country but also that hospitalizations and deaths are going down.

I must be a dumbass too because I live in Ohio and the economy is open and we all wear masks and respect social distancing. I know from first hand experience that most small and large businesses are open and are effectively managing protocol to keep their employees safe. They aren’t asking for government funds to pay for masks and hand sanitizer. They are getting it done. My wife is a teacher and 92% of the parents in her district wanted their children to return to school. The teachers, students and administrators are making it work.

I might be a dumbass, but I realize what works in Ohio might not be right for NYC. I also see the politicization of a pandemic and a media that uses fear and divisiveness to get clicks.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Thanks a lot, res! Now we have to replace the Colgate game.

Edit to add: BI85 is no dumbass. Whether I agree or disagree with him on this matter is irrelevant. Challenging his intellect because of a differing opinion on a high pressure situation is over the line... and that’s coming from me! I say all sorts of terrible things when I’m drunk during the season!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks a lot, res! Now we have to replace the Colgate game.

Edit to add: BI85 is no dumbass. Whether I agree or disagree with him on this matter is irrelevant. Challenging his intellect because of a differing opinion on a high pressure situation is over the line... and that’s coming from me! I say all sorts of terrible things when I’m drunk during the season!
Well said.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts