Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 205 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You’re a dumbass. What the fuck do you know?

What you know is that the virus generally has a much different impact on people that are not healthy and typically are the older parts of the population. You probably realize that we have a better understanding of the virus and how to manage the treatment of those that are infected. You probably know that cases may be going up in certain parts of the country but also that hospitalizations and deaths are going down.

I must be a dumbass too because I live in Ohio and the economy is open and we all wear masks and respect social distancing. I know from first hand experience that most small and large businesses are open and are effectively managing protocol to keep their employees safe. They aren’t asking for government funds to pay for masks and hand sanitizer. They are getting it done. My wife is a teacher and 92% of the parents in her district wanted their children to return to school. The teachers, students and administrators are making it work.

I might be a dumbass, but I realize what works in Ohio might not be right for NYC. I also see the politicization of a pandemic and a media that uses fear and divisiveness to get clicks.
Where do you get that deaths are going down and compared to what date? Not sure if you mean number of deaths or the death rate. For instance, Ohio had 87 deaths on 9/15 which was the 3rd highest total on a single day since sometime in April. With the number of tests going up, the denominator is going up considerably, so the death rate will naturally be going down.

Overall in the US, September has been worse than June and July, for instance, but better than April and May when it comes to the number of deaths per day.

edit: and it is great that Ohio seems to be doing it right. Places like GA and FL are clearly not. Numbers are high and if you look at the fans outside the Braves' baseball stadium as an example, they are not distancing or using masks.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
My biggest motivator for not getting it is I dont want to have it and spread it to my elderly parents and grandmother. If they got it and died because of me then I would never forgive myself.
That's the great thing about being my age. I no longer need to worry about passing anything on to my elderly parents or grandparents.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
I'm not going to get into personal stuff with my frustrated A-10 brothers and sisters on this site. I think everyone is just so ready for this 2020 non-sense to be over with so we can have our normal lives back, and we all miss our family, friends, bartenders and sports that everyone is just generally pissed at the world.

Obviously the problem with COVID vs SARS/MERS/Ebola is whole phrase "let it out of the box." Whether it be better prep, better diligence; or just the traits of the disease itself (asymptomatic people spread COVID all over, while SARS/MERS/Ebola knocked people on their asses so fast they spread it less), we've got it out there and can't go back to normal unless it's stamped out; either with a full-scale lockdown and testing/contact tracing like a lot of other countries used, or a working vaccine administered (to... uh, pretty much everyone in the world?).

But at the end of the day, it's a risk assessment of "Is this worth it?" Simply put, playing sports is a question of "Can we do it safely? Can we afford to do it safely? Can we deal with the consequences of trying to do it safely?"

And colleges being a bunch of people living in close quarters and interacting together, I totally get how any University medical professional or lawyer is going to say "Uh, not worth it."

Look at the first four weeks of Houston football:
Their Week 2 game vs Washington State was canceled when Pac-12 pulled the plug. Their Week 1, Week 2 replacement game, Week 3, and Week 4 games against Baylor, Memphis, Rice and North Texas (in some order) have been PPD because their opponents had COVID outbreaks. Five games canceled in 4 weeks and I don't think they had any cases themselves.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Where do you get that deaths are going down and compared to what date? Not sure if you mean number of deaths or the death rate. For instance, Ohio had 87 deaths on 9/15 which was the 3rd highest total on a single day since sometime in April. With the number of tests going up, the denominator is going up considerably, so the death rate will naturally be going down.

Overall in the US, September has been worse than June and July, for instance, but better than April and May when it comes to the number of deaths per day.

edit: and it is great that Ohio seems to be doing it right. Places like GA and FL are clearly not. Numbers are high and if you look at the fans outside the Braves' baseball stadium as an example, they are not distancing or using masks.

I wasn’t able to copy and paste trend lines, so EYOA Ace

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

Actually...
That is the next crisis for 2020, He meant cumulative deaths are going down...
Didn't you hear? The Walking Dead season finale is on the screen, and next season's premiere is in the streets...

201 - 205 of 205 Posts