Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Big East announces no ooc games for fall sports. Buys them some time. Everyone wants schools open, unfortunately we wasted the months we bought in March by not coming up with a national plan to get it done. Instead we had nonsense like it’s a blue state problem and I am an American I do not wear a mask. We insisted on going to bars and beaches instead of continuing to social distance and take a long term view on this. Now we will pay the price, get ready the winter is going to be horrible.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don’t give a fuck about the two links that you provided. On a broad scale the Europeans are saying that they were able to safely open schools. That’s a fact e-parade. The Europeans also cite instances where there were outbreaks. It’s not going to be perfect but they shut the affected schools down. The CDC has issued guidelines on re-opening schools as well but you only cherry pick information from the CDC that supports your arguments.

I suspect that you live in one of the three states that combined are responsible for 40% of all COVID.deaths? Seriously you are lecturing the rest of the country on how to manage through the virus? Bullshit models, horrendous decisions and policy? You have the balls to lecture us? You are tone deaf.
lol I see now. Your "40% of deaths" thing gave it all away in terms of what you're doing and where you source your arguments.

Also, for that bit of a statistic: Just wait. It'll change over the coming weeks and months. The northeast was where the initial large outbreaks happened so of course that's initially where most of the deaths are happening. People don't instantly die from this, it often takes weeks or even over a month for that unfortunate final result to happen. The large outbreaks that kicked off in the other areas of the country (meaning not those 3 states you love to blame for everything) kicked off, get this, just about a month ago (when cases started to rise again after falling from their initial peak that happened in April). Multiple states have recently said they are running out of ICU room in at least a portion of their hospitals, so we're in a very sad state where things are going to get worse simply due to the inability to provide care - this is exactly what happened in those northeast states where the majority of deaths early on happened. I don't want more people to die, but at this point it needs to be accepted as an unfortunate reality (quick edit here to finish the thought): thanks to our inability as a nation to learn from our mistakes.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Close up shop. College BB for non-power schools peaked 20 years ago and isn't getting back to it. America obviously peaked sometime in the last 75 years and is a fucking hellhole. What's the chance we can get a massive earthquake, tornado outbreak, and category 9 hurricane all at the same time? I want equal opportunity destruction dammit-all. JHC I hate this bullshit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
CAA cancels its football season. That pretty much ends FCS football for everyone, that is one of the top conferences.

·
Registered
945 Posts
A10 postpones fall sports to the spring. So far, winter sports are not affected.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
CAA cancels its football season. That pretty much ends FCS football for everyone, that is one of the top conferences.
Also directly impacts old CAA member UMass, as we were set to host Albany this year. I mean the writing should be on the wall for all college sports in the fall...we're still just waiting for the dominoes to all fall.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
High school sports in New York State have been delayed, even while Summer recreational youth sports such as baseball have resumed.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Also directly impacts old CAA member UMass, as we were set to host Albany this year. I mean the writing should be on the wall for all college sports in the fall...we're still just waiting for the dominoes to all fall.
Not necessarily, the CAA cancelled the conference season. Individual members are left to make their own schedules as they see fit. I suspect this was done to appease JMU and possibly others.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Individual members can make their own schedules and play as an independent... IF the FCS Playoffs are still on.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Barring the availability and the administration of a vaccine, I have a hard time envisioning the season (absent fans) playing out even if its limited to intra-conference games. Colleges are already feeling the pinch economically. There are expenses incurred for home games and obviously ,more for away games. Some conferences/teams have media deals that will cover those expenses, many do not. If you play don't you also have to start the women's season as well due to Title IX? There is also the potential for a government mandated shutdown if there is .substantial outbreak of the virus. Using Rhode Island as an example, a shutdown there would affect the Ivy League, A-10 and Big East.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
At the end of the day, the pros have billion$ of reasons to try and make it happen.

And colleges don't. The BCS cartel will try to play to get some TV money, and they're going to find that the travel component makes a protective bubble around their athletes impossible.

As it stands now...
4 conferences have cancelled fall sports (Ivy, Patriot, MEAC, Colonial)
13 conferences have delayed the fall sports season or limited play to conference only.
15 conferences have not made any kind of announcement yet.

No one has come out and said "We're playing. Players reporting on X date, and season begins on X date."

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
It's possible this virus is a plot to keep the Spiders from winning the conference and extending Mooney's contract.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It appears like everyone in college sports is too stupid to lead or look towards the future or apply common sense at all. Look when I made this thread a month ago about BASKETBALL and now look at the story that the P5 commissioners had an "Emergency conference call" yesterday because it finally dawned on the Big Ten than they can't start football in three weeks even though camp should have been going for two weeks.

I'll use the A-10 as an example, although we don't have a TV contract this worth our while except in basketball.

Here's the problem. Interacting with those outside your "community" is unsafe in a pandemic. Stay at home alone, your community is 1; you are safe. Stay home with 2000 people, and if NONE OF THE 2000 PEOPLE leave and no one new enters, your community is safe (like the NHL Bubble). So each school can reasonably keep a team safe and isolated from others until they run into more and more communities and the you can't control everyone else and your exposure becomes Six Degrees of Separation for the whole world.

Community 1: THE TEAM.
Community 2: The support staff (ATC, SID, academics, other sport teams on campus)
Community 3: Everyone you meet when traveling (bus drivers, hotel people, restaurants, etc)
Community 4: Your opponents when you line up against them. And their support staffs and game day crew. And referees.
Community 5: Everyone all those people interact with and can relay germs from onto you.

So like Duquesne football, volleyball, soccer and cross country share campus in August before all the other students arrive. They share a training room, share academic coordinator, etc. And that MIGHT have a chance of being contained as one large bubble community.... until they go on the road and interact with Community 3. Or take the field against opponent from Community 4, which adds Community 5 and someone's infected and it spreads like a cruise ship.

But all of our schools have empty campuses right now. Probably online learning planned for most. Each has ATC/SID/Academic/Support/Gameday staffs. Each of them has everything a sports team needs for a full season. So instead of Duquesne's staff taking care of seven Duquesne teams, let's have Duquesne's staff take care of "Atlantic 10 West Volleyball."

And their soccer team can be taken care of by Dayton's staff along with the rest of A-10 West Women's Soccer at UD.
And the men's soccer team can be taken care of by VCU's staff at A-10 East men's soccer. Etc.

Trade teams to different campus and run the sports as a hub. Now you have:
Community 1: THE TEAM
Community 2: Support Staff/Other Teams on Campus.
Community 3: (None, no one travels)
Community 4: (The teams you play are now in Community 2)
Community 5: (all the people Community 1 and 2 interact with ARE COMMUNITY 1 and 2)

So each person has 2 communities of exposure instead of 5+ and you might be able to pull that off safely.

Academics aren't an issue because we are PEER INSTITUTIONS and no one can say "well, we don't acknowledge their academic credits" because they'd be admitting that team didn't belong in the league (which our fans do, but certainly not for academics). After Katrina, Tulane students attended classes at 492 different schools for the next 1 or 2 semesters. I'd bet that every single A-10 school had at least one student from Tulane, Loyola, UNO or Dillard.

Facilities aren't an issue because while Texas A&M, Tech Tech and Louisiana Tech ADDED Tulane's sports teams to their campus and had to come up with room for them, the A-10 schools would be TRADING teams. So you throw VCU soccer into the Richmond baseball locker room since that team is somewhere else. You decide which sport goes where based on roster size and facilities.

Like I said, probably not worth it for the A-10.... but if you're the SEC and you have a TV network and no content, and an obligation to networks to provide inventory in exchange for $600 million in revenue, probably worth thinking outside the box instead of sitting on your hands and hoping the pandemic evaporates in three weeks.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Shorter JP thread: "we're all screwed."

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yup - it was weird to see that on the front page of ESPN this morning (the side pane of it - not the side specific to my stories that is. The overall "Latest News" section of it) but no mention of the Mountain West making the same announcement last night. THAT was clearly the bigger story, because, you know...Boise State Football.

PAC 12 might do the same today.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts