Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Athleticism is very important in the predicting the a future NBA player. But there are many definitions to it. What defeins Athleticism in the national basketball league? is it speed, endurance, vertical leap or is it something else? Can a player without a normal athleticism overcome its importance? Many of the stars are athletic freaks but Legends like john stockton and larry bird were able to overcome it. What makes them overcome athleticism? Can a good enough shooter overcome athleticism? Is it just an edge or a necessity?

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
being fundamental and knowing the game inside out can enable you to overcome the lack of athletic skills. you still have to be fairly athletic more than the average basketball player to play in the NBA though.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Athleticism covers a lot of things, not really just one in particular. Quickness, strength, speed, jumping ability, balance, etc. You've got to be athletic to be a good NBA player, but athleticim doesn't mean you have to be able to throw down windmills and beat everyone else down the floor.

As far as Stockton and Bird, those two were just extremely intelligent, tough nosed players who just flat out knew how to play basketball. Not many guys can replicate what those two did with those given abilities.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
Athleticism covers a lot of things, not really just one in particular. Quickness, strength, speed, jumping ability, balance, etc. You've got to be athletic to be a good NBA player, but athleticim doesn't mean you have to be able to throw down windmills and beat everyone else down the floor.

As far as Stockton and Bird, those two were just extremely intelligent, tough nosed players who just flat out knew how to play basketball. Not many guys can replicate what those two did with those given abilities.
They were both great shooters too. Most players who aren't that athletic have a nice shot.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Basketball IQ beats Athleticism every time. Because athleticism is just pure hype.

It doesn't sell jerseys or get you in the "Top-whatever" lists, but the guys who simply know the game always do better, play longer and win a heck of a lot more than all the athletic freaks who can jump over the rim or are 7 feet tall.

·
Registered
440 Posts
In their own ways, both Bird and Stockton had excellent athleticism. Not the grab quarters off the top of the backboard kind of athleticism, of course, but something a bit more subtle. Stockton had extremely quick feet, hands as big as dinner plates, and superb balance (a common trait among great shooters). He was also very strong for his size.

Bird's balance was, if possible, even better. He also had incredible body control and quick hands. And don't forget that he was 6'9" with that kind of coordination.

To me, "athleticism" means I pick a random sport, and this guy is likely to kick my *** at it with little practice--inborn athletic traits, more than just straight speed and jumping ability (though those are part of it). Stockton and Bird fit that definition just fine.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Chris Webber's athleticism has greatly deteriorated, but he's still a considerably effective player because he has a high bball IQ and is very skilled. If you look at him play, it looks like he's moving in slow-motion. He's taking it to the hole a lot more this season than he was last, but it still looks like he has to exert a good deal of effort every time he does so. And yet, he's doing some damage out there.

Athleticism can only get you so far.

On the flip side, not very many players can overcome having relatively little athleticism, in terms of ever becoming more than an average player. That could be due to either lack of basketball skill/knowledge or to serious injuries. Some players can be very intelligent and very skilled, only to fall to injuries that sap all of their athleticism and render them into average or even mediocre players. I think you all know who I'm talking about.

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
being athletic is always important in any sport. you have to be able to use those physical abilities along with the mental (basketball IQ). sure some are more athletic than others. depends on the player and knowing what their capabilities are.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Some players can be very intelligent and very skilled, only to fall to injuries that sap all of their athleticism and render them into average or even mediocre players. I think you all know who I'm talking about.
Ray Allen?

:D

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
Spriggan said:
Some players can be very intelligent and very skilled, only to fall to injuries that sap all of their athleticism and render them into average or even mediocre players. I think you all know who I'm talking about.
vince carter?
Chris webber?
uh oh...AMARE? :uhoh:

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Man Basketball IQ is not going to get you to the NBA. You need talent (i.e. can you put the ball in the hoop) and some modicum of athleticism.

I know guys who aren't great athletes by NBA standards, who play pick up games with good players (who are Non-NBA) and look like fantastic athletes.

When you are playing against the best athletes, you look non-athletic, but that's not really true.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stockton had extremely quick feet, hands as big as dinner plates, and superb balance (a common trait among great shooters). He was also very strong for his size.

Bird's balance was, if possible, even better. He also had incredible body control and quick hands. And don't forget that he was 6'9" with that kind of coordination.

agreed. athleticism isnt just measured with leaping ability and speed. hand-eye coordination, balance, hand size, and the ability to anticipate are also god-given gifts that greatly benefit an athlete just as much as a 40 inch vertical might.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
How the hell has Dan Dickau made it this far. He can shoot good sometimes, has no quickness, no vertical leap. He has made it all on basketball IQ and his shot. I could be Dan Dickau for pete's sake, except he is much more determined than me. It's a testament to non-athletic guys that someone like Dickau could make it this far.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Athleticism will beat IQ almost all the time.
Let's take a look at some examples of pure athleticsim vs. pure IQ (as close as I can think of) in the league right now

PG- Steve Francis vs. Sam Cassell
SG- Jamal Crawford vs. Luke Jackson
SF- Darius Miles vs. Mike Dunleavy
PF- Amare Stoudamire vs. Kurt Thomas
C- Sam Dalembert vs. PJ Brown

Nowadays, it seems like superathletic players are better of

A combo of IQ and athletic ability

PG- Chris Paul
SG- Ray Allen (homer)
SF- Lebron James
PF- Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal

So, even if athletic ability is important, to be great, one must have a combo of both.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
leidout said:
Basketball IQ beats Athleticism every time. Because athleticism is just pure hype.

It doesn't sell jerseys or get you in the "Top-whatever" lists, but the guys who simply know the game always do better, play longer and win a heck of a lot more than all the athletic freaks who can jump over the rim or are 7 feet tall.
basketball IQ is important, but athleticism is just pure hype? Are you serious?

If that was the case, where would that put Shaquille O'Neal or Michael Jordan? Would Jordan still have been the dominant player he was if he couldn't epxlode off the dribble and dunk on whoever was in the lane? If athleticism was pure hype, Shaq wouldn't be much more than a good passing center with a soft touch and big build, not quite what you really want from a center who is considered by many to be the most dominant ever.

They'd still be good players, (and even past their primes, Shaq and Jordan were still great athletes, just not hte freaks they were before) but amongst the greatest of all time?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
WTChan said:
Athleticism will beat IQ almost all the time.
Let's take a look at some examples of pure athleticsim vs. pure IQ (as close as I can think of) in the league right now

PG- Steve Francis vs. Sam Cassell
SG- Jamal Crawford vs. Luke Jackson
SF- Darius Miles vs. Mike Dunleavy
PF- Amare Stoudamire vs. Kurt Thomas
C- Sam Dalembert vs. PJ Brown

Nowadays, it seems like superathletic players are better of
With the exception of the Amare vs. Kurt Thomas matchup(a better one would be Duncan vs. Amare), the IQ guys win all of these matchups. If Luke Jackson were on the Knicks he would probably be stealing Jamal's minutes because he plays defense, can shoot the 3, and makes smart decisions on the basketball floor. Afterall, Jamal already lost his job to Kirk Hinrich.

anyone who takes Steve Francis over Cassell plays too many videogames.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
To make it in the NBA you have to have combinations of atheletism, basketball talent and physical attribute.

If you are not very tall or big, mainly point guards, you need to be extremely talented, have a specialty (such as shooting) that is considered to be elite in the country/world, being the best shooter from your town isnt enough. Atheletic big man, around 6'9+ with a fair understanding of the game will land you at the very least a scholarship to a college team, in addition if you are fairly talented you are likely to play Pro, if you have great combinations of atheletism, size and talent... then your bound to be wanted by a lot of professional teams.

With that said, if you are not an elite athlete, but has sufficient quickness, agility, speed etc and not big at all (under 6'5) you will need to be elite in basketball talent/I.Q and have a nation-wide elite list specialty (such as shooting, passing etc) to even have a chance to be pro.

How many players under 6'0 who can dribble, drive, dunk etc but dont have a chance being a pro? A heck of a lot, thats because there's people 6'5+ who are almost as quick and athletic but with size to boot... those guys are favoured 9/10 times than the smaller guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts