Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Impressive VC Stat!

632 views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Air Fly 
#1 ·
VC has 19 more free throw attempts on the season w/ 477 than RJ who has 458 & VC played 1 more game than him. Gotta love VC's aggressive attempts to drive. He's averaging a career-high 7.4 trips to the line. But he is our designated free throw shooter when the Nets are leading late in a game & the opposing team is forced to play the intentional fouling game b/c VC can knock those down in pressure situations better than RJ can so this comparison is kind of deceiving. RJ does have an advantage w/ more respect from officials than VC though so it evens things out better. VC still gets cheated on calls from time to time. Personally I'd like to see his free throw attempts/game in double digits like Kobe, Wade, AI, Pierce, James etc in the playoffs. Still gotta love his effort to go inside though. :banana:

#4 · (Edited)
PHeNoM Z28 said:
Absolutely horrible....stupid fade-away jump shooter.
You said it, not me. :)

In Carter's high game, how many times did he get to the line in the last few minutes because he was inbounded the ball?

Can you recall at least 3 more games there that has happened and resulted in 5 free throws at the end of games?

Maybe a relation to time of possession/shots taken to FTA?

As I said, people only care about the end numbers, not how it was acheived OR what they mean.

-Petey

#6 ·
NetIncome said:
all those fade away jumpers and three pointers keep the defense honest. People dont seem to understand that if he went to the hoop every time he would be less effective than if he mixes things up. He is playing great ball at both ends.
He is playing very good D. He takes a few poor shots but better him then Kidd, he makes them at least. Sometimes the other team's D forces a bad shot, give them credit, Kidd used to take them but now it appears that VC is the man. Is-ness VC is what he is and you have to take advantage of it.

#8 ·
That disparrity is largely attributed to VC shooting techs and end game in-bound plays where the opposition sends him to the line. However, if you want to compare RJ and VC remember that VC has taken 1228 FGA compared to 815 for RJ. That's 50.6% more scoring attempts, yet Vince has only taken 19 more free throw attempts in total.

I think Vince is doing a good job and his game is less predicated on driving than RJ's, but don't use a 19 total free throw attempts difference as your argument that he drives to the hoop a lot. Also, RJ no way has more respect than VC from the officials.

#9 ·
Netted- said:
That disparrity is largely attributed to VC shooting techs and end game in-bound plays where the opposition sends him to the line. However, if you want to compare RJ and VC remember that VC has taken 1228 FGA compared to 815 for RJ. That's 50.6% more scoring attempts, yet Vince has only taken 19 more free throw attempts in total.

I think Vince is doing a good job and his game is less predicated on driving than RJ's, but don't use a 19 total free throw attempts difference as your argument that he drives to the hoop a lot. Also, RJ no way has more respect than VC from the officials.

I was just about to say that, but ya beat me to it.

In addition to that, Vince's free throw count is inflated because he gets to take all the free throws at the end of games that the Nets are winning when the other team is fouling to stop the clock.

the Field Goal Attempted stat that Netted refers to is also important because you have to remember that the offense runs through Vince and he gets alot more touchs. The fact that RJ has ONLY 19 less Free Throws Attempted when Vince gets all the end of game FTA's AND gets many more touches per game is actually a testament to RJ's aggresiveness, not Vince's.

#10 ·
furnace said:
I was just about to say that, but ya beat me to it.

In addition to that, Vince's free throw count is inflated because he gets to take all the free throws at the end of games that the Nets are winning when the other team is fouling to stop the clock.

the Field Goal Attempted stat that Netted refers to is also important because you have to remember that the offense runs through Vince and he gets alot more touchs. The fact that RJ has ONLY 19 less Free Throws Attempted when Vince gets all the end of game FTA's AND gets many more touches per game is actually a testament to RJ's aggresiveness, not Vince's.
but VC's career high 7.4 FTA isn't? Bottom line, VC is getting to the line more than he ever did...with all the other factors aside, HE'S getting to the line...

#11 ·
And yet people still find a way to question why the man is getting to the line. Who cares when or how he is getting those free throws, the fact is in late game situations Vince has been the NETS most reliable shooter. Who else would you rather want shooting those free throws? To those saying he gets it mostly out of inbound plays, ask yourself why its Vince that gets those passes.

Whats next, his rebounding numbers and assist numbers must be skewed also

#12 ·
Hbwoy said:
And yet people still find a way to question why the man is getting to the line. Who cares when or how he is getting those free throws, the fact is in late game situations Vince has been the NETS most reliable shooter. Who else would you rather want shooting those free throws? To those saying he gets it mostly out of inbound plays, ask yourself why its Vince that gets those passes.

Whats next, his rebounding numbers and assist numbers must be skewed also
People are only responding to the post that started the thread, relating Carter's aggressive attempts to drive, his FT total, in correlation to Jefferson FT total.

And yes, I'd rather Carter shoot the FTs late in games that are close. I don't know which Nets fan won't?

-Petey

#13 ·
Petey said:
People are only responding to the post that started the thread, relating Carter's aggressive attempts to drive, his FT total, in correlation to Jefferson FT total.

And yes, I'd rather Carter shoot the FTs late in games that are close. I don't know which Nets fan won't?

-Petey
Just wondering why its always Vince's game or games that are always under the microscope, when some claim he is not the best player on this team. Kidd is having a pretty good season percentage wise, is must be because he is playing with Vince and getting all those open looks rather than giving the man credit that he must have worked hard on his game this offseason

#15 ·
Hbwoy said:
Just wondering why its always Vince's game or games that are always under the microscope, when some claim he is not the best player on this team. Kidd is having a pretty good season percentage wise, is must be because he is playing with Vince and getting all those open looks rather than giving the man credit that he must have worked hard on his game this offseason
Ah... because there are more threads and posts on Vince Carter from a loyal following of fans... so you expect people to not reply?

If you think something on the board hasn't been discussed, start up a thread.

-Petey

#16 ·
Petey said:
Ah... because there are more threads and posts on Vince Carter from a loyal following of fans... so you expect people to not reply?

If you think something on the board hasn't been discussed, start up a thread.

-Petey
Actually I dont mind those threads, I dont think Vince is above criticism. Those threads I find funny, but there are some certain posters who claim they know more than others once the arguement isnt going their way.

#17 ·
NetIncome said:
all those fade away jumpers and three pointers keep the defense honest. People dont seem to understand that if he went to the hoop every time he would be less effective than if he mixes things up. He is playing great ball at both ends.
He doesn't need to take contested fadeaway jumpers. He does that when he's tired.

He is scary enough to back off any defender and shoot an open shot. He just doesn't always do it.

All players get tired and do things they shouldn't do. Conditioning helps, but Carter has played too many minutes and that's one of the effects.

#18 ·
Hbwoy said:
Pardon my little rant. I just wonder if its possible to give one player credit without disrespecting another
My post in no way disrespected Carter. I just don't like it when people use a stat in a poor way to justify an opinion, which was the original basis of the thread. I'm not disrespecting Carter, I'm disrespecting the use of the free throw statistic.

Don't generalize about everyone that's posted in the thread now. :naughty:

#19 ·
Netted- said:
My post in no way disrespected Carter. I just don't like it when people use a stat in a poor way to justify an opinion, which was the original basis of the thread. I'm not disrespecting Carter, I'm disrespecting the use of the free throw statistic.

Don't generalize about everyone that's posted in the thread now. :naughty:
Sorry about that Netted, I think I went a little overboard with that.

#20 ·
Netted- said:

its not that vc is a bad player.... its just that RJ is that good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.