Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more of the "Radio Reports" about what we are gonna get for Jalen.

But what can we honestly get for him?

The contracts would have to come close, leaving very few options as grossly overpaid, underproductive players are few and far between these days.

This pretty much leaves the following two players that are both healthy, and around Jalens skill level.

Keith Van Horn
Penny Hardaway

Now with Penny, Babcock and Thomas have supposidly talking since last year about something along these lines, but nothing has ever come of it.

Penny and a 2nd for Rose?

With KVH, im doubtful that the Mavs have any intrest in a player like Rose, but for the benefit of the doubt. He would bring a new dimension to the Raps, a big man that can shoot. 6'10 with range can never hurt. And he is the kind of guy that understands his role off the bench.

Rose and a 2nd for KVH?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Those are the obvious names we have been talking about for the last 2 seasons.

We have an open roster spot so try digging a little deeper for a 2 for 1 trade that may not have expiring contracts but brings something that fits our situation better. Some require filler and I'm not sure how much cash you can throw in for balancing in the new CBA.

Croshere/ Bender from Indiana

Booth/JoeSmith from MIL

Grant Hill from ORL

Cato/Turkoglu from ORL

Stack/Bradley/TAW from Dallas (depends on insurance and retirement issues)

KurtThomas/H Eisley/ filler from PHX

Stojakovich/Corliss from SAC (seems unlikely but word is Peja wants out)
Bonzi/Skinner from SAC

MoTaylor/ShandonAnderson from NYK

Most of these contracts are 2 years or expiring. KurtThomas and Skinner are 3 but those are useful players for us. Bradley is 3 but he retired I think.

Plus if we trade for these guys in DEC we can flip some of the better talent to a contending ballclub at the trade deadline and possibly pick up an expiring deal, young prospect, or first round pick. You can't do that with Jalen because his salary is so big a contender won't be able to match it without hurting their roster.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
wat about eddie jones? he's doing amazing this year in memphis

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Basically we might be able to get two players with pretty poor contracts, that would hopefully still end in in 2007. The other team should have a reasonable need and environment for Jalen but Spree not being signed on the cheap is a good indicator of how many of these teams are out there.

Jalen and the Denver pick (which I would never give away in this kind of deal)

should fetch

Tim Thomas

That and Penny are the obvious ones. The key here is to seek out bad contracts to get started. They should be worse than Jalen's if you actually want a contributing player back, or be prepared to send a draft pick.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
And in all honesty...I think the best option if things turn really sour with Jalen is to cut his minutes close to nil, and then offer a buyout. You'll have to pay most of his contract (at least 85% I'd guess) but there' a little financial savings and his contract ends at the right time anyways. I don't think this is a good move for Babs cause he'd get crucified but trades just don't seem realistic to me, at all.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
^ they'd have to compensate us though, cause we can't just give away Loren Woods!! :biggrin:

I really don't think there are that many options this year, in regards to Jalen. If Isaiha wants him that badly he might end up in New York, but thats about it for this year unless your talking about taking back bad contracts

barring a New York trade, he should become a lot more valuable next year, but at that point I feel teams will continue to offer us longer contracts in return for Jalens expiring one. IMO Jalen ends his contract as a Raptor and we realize the cap space in 2007. It's too bad, because we're gonna lose with or without him, and I would love his shots to be going to the young guys

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i dont kno why memphis would want to trade eddie jones, but he would be a great addition to the raps

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I don't want to pick on you personally (because there will be many), but anyone who would call Babcock an idiot for not being able to trade Rose, are showing some idiotic tendencies themselves.

Your kidding yourself if you think there is a trade market for Rose ... or one where we get ANYTHING of value back... and a decent player with a bad contract extending out to 2007 or beyond is not value.

Ditto with Marshall. Show me other trades made at the deadline last year, to show there was a market for this guy. Perhaps something could have been done with the Nets instead of Robinson, but I think there are alot of fake GM's out there who do not understand the difficulties of trading expiring contracts when you do not want to add back a longer contract yourself.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
There may not be much of a market for Rose and it may be difficult to trade him, but the fact is, fairly or not, Babcock is getting labbelled as a lame duck GM.

Junior you should pay closer attention to lanuage.
"He'll look like an idiot" is a lot different then "He will be an idiot" or "He is an idiot if he can't..."
on the internet, much like in the NBA perception forms reality. you miss read my post and, i suppose, exposed some tendencies in yourself.
Now if Babcock can't do anything with Rose, it might not be fair, but he will have another negative knock against him, potentially making it even more difficult to make deals in future.

lol

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
shookem said:
There may not be much of a market for Rose and it may be difficult to trade him, but the fact is, fairly or not, Babcock is getting labbelled as a lame duck GM.

Junior you should pay closer attention to lanuage.
"He'll look like an idiot" is a lot different then "He will be an idiot" or "He is an idiot if he can't..."
on the internet, much like in the NBA perception forms reality. you miss read my post and, i suppose, exposed some tendencies in yourself.
Now if Babcock can't do anything with Rose, it might not be fair, but he will have another negative knock against him, potentially making it even more difficult to make deals in future.

lol
Junior's right though. You've got it the wrong way round. It's any trade out there for Jalen that will make Babs look like an "idiot". Jamal Mashburn, for example, is never going to play another NBA game and Babs won't be able to trade Jalen for him. Trading Jalen you either get back contracts that will hinder the franchise, or you get basically nothing. You look better holding onto Rose, at least until his value starts to increase as we near the FOLLOWING trade deadline.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
There is no real reason to trade Jalen until right before his contract is set to expire. That is the only time he might have some acutal trade value.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
no, i understand what you guys are saying about Rose's value, and yes you're right, that wasn't my point.
personally, I like having Rose in TO and would be more inclinded to trade a williams and or a pick, if we are approached by an interested party. i don't think the big guys at MLSE will see it that way, and i'm sure the media and by extension the general consenus won't see it that way. The people on this board are extremily knowledgable about basketball, granted, and realize a lot more then the average sports fan would. I think that if Babs doesn't prove himself in the trading market, he will be on the way out. unfortunatly this may cause him to panic and make a stupid move.

i dunno i could be wrong, but i am familiar with the concept of expiring contracts and what value they have to a team's salary cap :yes: :yes: lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts