Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team Rebounds per game (37.9).

Incidentally, the 89-90 Blazers were the 5th best since the permenant adoption of the three-pointer in 1980-81 with 47.6 trpg.

I guess that's what happens when your two centers miss 51+ combined games.

:boohoo:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Samuel said:
I guess that's what happens when your two centers miss 51+ combined games.
Not to mention your starting shooting guard is 6'3" on a good day and your starting power forward is without what little lift he had to begin with.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Samuel... that is a darn good point... and even with our centers there are many games when I looked at the stats (except rebounds) and thought... man we should have killed them!

The positive thing is... something like that is easily tweaked and when it does get tweaked... look out. I will NEVER cheer for a Blazer loss, but winning 15 more games would not put us in better position next year. Now... I won't say that Nate or anyone in the organization would EVER try to lose... but we are shuffling a lot of things around right now... resting dinked up players, putting new players in the SL... is just about impossible to get a win when we are doing that.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Antg Antg Antg Antg

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
We need to adjust for pace for that stat to mean much of anything... we have walked the ball up the floor for much of the year, and the number of possessions per game has to be one of the lowest in the team's history.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Ed O said:
We need to adjust for pace for that stat to mean much of anything... we have walked the ball up the floor for much of the year, and the number of possessions per game has to be one of the lowest in the team's history.

Ed O.
Exactly. We have the third slowest pace in the league.

In terms of rebounding percentages, we're below average, but not on the all time worst list.

Portland gets 27% of all available offensive rebounds (13th in the league)

Then again, they're the worst defensive rebounding team, getting only 68.5% of all possible defensive rebounds.

That makes Aldridge or Thomas look all the more attractive as a draft pick.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
One of the more annoying aspects game announcers is their constant use of stat total rankings.

"And Phoenix is 13h in the NBA in rebounding, tied with San Antonio. Amazing when you consider they roll out such a small lineup. That is a testament to....blah, blah, blah, baloney, kiss ***, garbage, don't know my butt from a stump..."

It can be very distracting when they make these claims to support the junk analysis that invariably comes right after the misleading stat.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Fork said:
Exactly. We have the third slowest pace in the league.

In terms of rebounding percentages, we're below average, but not on the all time worst list.

Portland gets 27% of all available offensive rebounds (13th in the league)

Then again, they're the worst defensive rebounding team, getting only 68.5% of all possible defensive rebounds.

That makes Aldridge look all the more attractive as a draft pick.
I wonder what the Blazers defensive rebounding percentage is when 40 (or more) Center minutes were played by Joel and Theo?

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Masbee said:
I wonder what the Blazers defensive rebounding percentage is when 40 (or more) Center minutes were played by Joel and Theo?
Well, not that this is exactly what you're asking, but our rebounding percentage does change a bit with those guys on the court:

Portland's rebounding percentages with Przbilla on the court.
32.5% of available offensive boards
67% of available defensive boards

With Przybilla off the court:
28.3% of available offensive boards
67.2% of available defensive boards

So, about even in defensive rebounding with Przybilla off the court, but improve a lot on the offensive end. Weird.

For Ratliff:

Portland's rebounding percentages with Ratliff on the court.
31% of available offensive boards
67.8% of available defensive boards

With Ratliff off the court:
29.4% of available offensive boards
66.8% of available defensive boards

Ratliff seems to help our rebounding percentages on both ends of the court.

Zach, though much maligned, helps even more:

Portland's rebounding percentages with Zach on the court.
31.8% of available offensive boards
68.5% of available defensive boards

With Zach off the court:
25.7% of available offensive boards
64.4% of available defensive boards

Other interesting tidbits:

Khryapa really helps on the offensive glass, improving our % by 7.1
Miles kills us on the offensive glass, at -6.6%
Outlaw sucks on both ends. -7.5% offensively, -4.2% defensively.
Ranking our PG's in terms of rebounding, Blake is best, Telfair 2nd and Jack 3rd.
Webster, for the most part, holds his own and considering how slowly he started in terms of rebounding, there's a lot of hope that he'll improve to be an above average rebounder.

I'm sure a lot of this stuff has to do with which lineups tend to play at the same time, but parts of it are interesting anyway.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Fork said:
That makes Aldridge or Thomas look all the more attractive as a draft pick.
I didn't mean to make it sound like (a) we're a good rebounding team, or (b) drafting a big isn't a good idea... just to point out the importance of pace.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Ed O said:
I didn't mean to make it sound like (a) we're a good rebounding team, or (b) drafting a big isn't a good idea... just to point out the importance of pace.

Ed O.
I know what you meant. I just hadn't really taken a look at exactly how ****ty we are at rebounding. I've always been a supporter of Bargnani, because I think he can play both offense and defense well at the next level. But after looking at this, I'm starting to wonder if he can rebound well enough to improve this team. Obviously, Portland has many problems, but rebounding seems like it may be the biggest problem we have.

I don't want to start a flame war, but these rebounding numbers really put a guy like Adam Morrison into perspective. How would he help us if we're this bad at gaining possession of the ball by rebounding it in the first place? Morrison can do certain things well, but he hasn't shown that he can rebound at all. We have some guys who can score a little bit already. We don't have rebounders.

I like Tyrus Thomas more and more every day.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Fork said:
I know what you meant. I just hadn't really taken a look at exactly how ****ty we are at rebounding. I've always been a supporter of Bargnani, because I think he can play both offense and defense well at the next level. But after looking at this, I'm starting to wonder if he can rebound well enough to improve this team. Obviously, Portland has many problems, but rebounding seems like it may be the biggest problem we have.

I don't want to start a flame war, but these rebounding numbers really put a guy like Adam Morrison into perspective. How would he help us if we're this bad at gaining possession of the ball by rebounding it in the first place? Morrison can do certain things well, but he hasn't shown that he can rebound at all. We have some guys who can score a little bit already. We don't have rebounders.

I like Tyrus Thomas more and more every day.
Then there is this Greg Oden guy who, maybe, could help us out in the rebounding department.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.