Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my question: How do you see your team developing over the next few years? What ideal moves do you see them making. Remember this is what YOU see them doing, not what you see their GM doing. The ideal moves that lead to a championship contender.

Keep it feasible, you're making do with basic NBA Salary rules. Actual logic when it comes to trades you'd want to see - the Clippers aren't giving up Blake Griffin for Evan Turner. So yeah, be realistic.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Realistically? One of my teams is owned by an investment group preparing to cash out, so they're going to run the team into the ground, sell it out to another investment group who will proceed to give Rondo a max deal in fears that people will stop showing up if they attempt to rebuild. If we're lucky the next group of owners will sell the team to someone that gives a damn.

My Rockets, on the other hand? They have one of their cornerstone players and still have a lot of cap room (they'd've had more if not for that asshole Lin deal). I was hoping they'd sign Josh Smith, except that that probably means Dwight Howard as well, who has pretty much turned into my least favourite NBA player over the last two years. I'm just praying that Morey doesn't sign Andy Bynum to a max deal at this point.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
2013-14 Milwaukee Bucks 40-42
2014-15 Milwaukee Bucks 38-44
2015-16 Las Vegas Bucks ??-??

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way I want to look at this is as follows: the stoner positivity ideal development for all of the young guys on the Pistons' roster. Minimal trades or releases, just stare blindly with complete and total best-case-scenario glasses on.

I see Andre Drummond. The clear cut superstar on the Pistons. If you've seen Andre Drummond play and the way he is in front of a camera he not only has the potential to have a superstar caliber game, a Dwight-esque presence, but he's an entertaining guy. Fans will love watching him play. And anchor a winner. He'll be dominating on the glass as well as throwing down 17-19 points per game on dunks. 20-22 if he learns to shoot free throws at a strong clip. If he can just get to 65% he'll be able to take more goes at allowing contact as he scores it - and pick up a point or two per night on extra made FTs.

On defense he'll be anchoring the team. All NBA First Team awards, DPoY candidacy. Blocking shots, stealing balls to kick start fast breaks, making the paint a scary place. The guy he's helping cover for back there is Greg Monroe - who develops a midrange game allowing space for Drummond in the paint. His midrange game and deft hands with the ball allow him to play a great high post game as a distributor. His ability to move the ball helping take a little of the pressure to do that off of Brandon Knight - who has been a scorer at every level to develop. He turns into a guy who can give us 7-8 assists per night, fills up 16+ with superb three point shooting and occasional penetration.

When he penetrates he'll be able to kick it off to Kim English or Khris Middleton or Kyle Singler - all of whom can develop into damn fine shooters.

Okay thats not quite a championship core. But - just going by what we have already - if they all hit their absolute best case scenario? That's a pretty damn strong playoff team. Especially if Andre DOES develop into something like Dwight Howard.

And keep in mind this thread IS all about best case possible. So... who cares if the idea of them ALL developing like that is completely unrealistic. :D

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Thinking about the Suns next few yrs, I just want to drink myself into oblivion. NBA is worst sport to have a hopeless franchise in. I have no faith in the guys in charge now nor faith for Sarver to even hire the guys aferwards. I'm worried they'll even screw up picks these yrs too.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
I think we will ride out our group another 2-3 years and be fringe 2nd rounders the next two and likely a fringe playoff team in year 3. If we are smart we move Zach Randolph for Josh Smith if possible and really go ultra defensive with Marc Gasol as our offensive focal point.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
With Dirk nearing the end of high end productivity and no other players on the team to get too excited about, it will take a free agency coup to stop the fall. The situation might have to get worse before it can get better, as is often the case in the NBA. I still have a lot of faith in Cuban and the front office to right the ship. On the flip side, you don't always get rewarded for being competitive in the NBA. With a coach like Carlisle and an owner as willing to put a great product out there, I just can't see this team hitting rock bottom. So they are probably stuck in mediocrity for a while.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
I see the Pacers eventually moving Granger, moving George to the small forward position permanently and becoming our go to guy in the offense. David West signs a new deal, eventually retires a Pacer. George Hill moves to the 2 spot because he's a great combo guard, and Stephenson moves to the point. We'll probably contend for a few years, maybe even earn a lucky Finals trip if everything goes right, but we still need a solid point guard.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I'll take a different perspective than Gonzo.

I think we'll keep Granger until the end of his contract and then possibly let him go. It's not the best in the sense of value or development for PG, but I would attribute this to the conservative, anti-tax nature of our organization. Then again, you never really know what Kevin Pritchard will do, and it's almost as likely that Granger is shipped out for the draft rights to Mason Plumlee. Personally, I'd like to have Granger and George play a full season together before I made any rash moves.

Hibbert, Hill, Mahinmi, George, Stephenson, Johnson, and probably Miles Plumlee will all be here next year without a doubt. Like Gonzo, I think we'll try to re-sign West to another 2-year deal, maybe $15 mil/2 years. Augustin, Pendergraph, Ben Hansbrough, and Sam Young we will let go, with Green possibly traded. If we trade Granger, I could see us targeting Plumlee, Cody Zeller, or McLemore in the draft, and I don't even want to go into who we could trade for in the open market. If we stay in the 20-25 range in the draft, I think we'll nab Oladipo or a PG.

As for Hansbrough, I don't really know. I don't even know if we'll extend him a qualifying offer, but he'd be wise to accept it if we did.

Pretty much, I think we'll keep the same rotational players minus Hansbrough, Augustin, and maybe Green, and make a run for a title. I think this team can be every bit as good as the 2000 finals team or the '03-'05 Pacers.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
I'll take a different perspective than Gonzo.

I think we'll keep Granger until the end of his contract and then possibly let him go. It's not the best in the sense of value or development for PG, but I would attribute this to the conservative, anti-tax nature of our organization. Then again, you never really know what Kevin Pritchard will do, and it's almost as likely that Granger is shipped out for the draft rights to Mason Plumlee. Personally, I'd like to have Granger and George play a full season together before I made any rash moves.

Hibbert, Hill, Mahinmi, George, Stephenson, Johnson, and probably Miles Plumlee will all be here next year without a doubt. Like Gonzo, I think we'll try to re-sign West to another 2-year deal, maybe $15 mil/2 years. Augustin, Pendergraph, Ben Hansbrough, and Sam Young we will let go, with Green possibly traded. If we trade Granger, I could see us targeting Plumlee, Cody Zeller, or McLemore in the draft, and I don't even want to go into who we could trade for in the open market. If we stay in the 20-25 range in the draft, I think we'll nab Oladipo or a PG.

As for Hansbrough, I don't really know. I don't even know if we'll extend him a qualifying offer, but he'd be wise to accept it if we did.

Pretty much, I think we'll keep the same rotational players minus Hansbrough, Augustin, and maybe Green, and make a run for a title. I think this team can be every bit as good as the 2000 finals team or the '03-'05 Pacers.
Hansbrough's qualifying offer is something like 4.25 mil, that's a lot. Unless he plays like he did last night, I don't know if I want to pay him that much.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Continue to suck this year, draft Ben McLemore, still suck next year, draft Andrew Wiggins. Build around that core and keep Nikola Vucevic, Moe Harkless and Andrew Nicholson as solid role players.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Dissapoint this year, resign Dwight. Go into next season with lowered expectations and perform well only to fall short of the ultimate goal. Watch Kupchak pull a superstar or two out of his ass in 2014.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Cuban will try to trade one of these one-year expiring deals for a fringe all-star, which if enough of the current team is brought back (Mayo, Carter, and one of the bigs) could turn the team into a threat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
See kyrie becoming the best pg in the league with waiters developing into a solid shooter and thompson a consistent double double guy. unfortunatly i do see big anderson v constantly being out with injuries, so a good center is something we could be in need of to take the next step. i see gee also being a flashy dunk guy which is enough to keep his spot. Over the years hopefully pick up some solid guys off the bench and get lucky with a late pick or two and i see the cavs becoming a solid threat.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See kyrie becoming the best pg in the league with waiters developing into a solid shooter and thompson a consistent double double guy. unfortunatly i do see big anderson v constantly being out with injuries, so a good center is something we could be in need of to take the next step. i see gee also being a flashy dunk guy which is enough to keep his spot. Over the years hopefully pick up some solid guys off the bench and get lucky with a late pick or two and i see the cavs becoming a solid threat.
Only person to not fail the thread thus far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are all seriously damaged. The whole idea of the thread was pie in the sky optimism for your team. You've all been so pessimistic for so long that you can't pull this off. I am amazed.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Only person to not fail the thread thus far.

I thought the point of the thread was for you to talk about Drummond and the pistons without directly making it obvious. ?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
Ideal moves?

Trade Horford/Korver/Teague to the Lakers for Dwight. Resign Dwight, resign Josh, and draft Trey Burke with our 1st round pick (ideally it would be MCW out of Syracuse but I doubt he drops that far, Burke might not either after the tourney). We get Lou Will back from injury, Jenkins provides us with a bench shooter, and we bring in some type wing player who can defend well and knock down the deep ball.

Off the top of my head that would be perfect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts