Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given his decline as far as skills, and his role on the team "off the court" lessening, how much longer does he stay around, and is it all with the Mavericks? Do you think he's too prideful to play primarily as a roleplayer/6th man? Will AJ even place him into that role?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think he has another two years at least to be a starter for the Mavericks. The difference I think would be that Finley would start, but would be the first one substitued for one of the younger players.

I think everyone would be happy with this. Finley still gets the start and with less playing time in the middle of the game he might come in late in the 4th quarter and show the youngsters how to finish games. The bulk of the minutes would be taken by the Josh Howard, Marquis, etc.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Finley's still got three years left on his contract. And three expensive years at that. Since there is no way to move that huge contract he will be here for at least 3 more years.

I don't think Finley is done or anything like that. His role may slowly decrease as Daniels gets more playing time. The problem with Finley this year has been inconsistency. When he is shooting well he has helped make this team nearly unbeatable. If Finley is hitting his shot everything opens up for the other players. We need Finley and Terry to be able to know down thier shots then other teams can not help out on Dirk, Stack and now Van Horn.

I think Finley will continue to be a big part of the rotation through the end of his contract. It's not like he is 35 now or anything. The guy just turned 32 years old so he should be able to contribute for several more years. It's not like he is a guy who relies on quickness to blow past his man. He is a jump shooter and pretty much always has been. There is no reason that he can not continue to be a good player for the Mavs for the rest of his contract.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Everyone was ready to bury Finley when Avery took over, but guess what? Finley is still playing. Avery can't afford to do without Finley's defensive, let alone offensive skills. You'll probably see Finley play till he's 39 or 40. He can shoot, and that's a rare art in today's NBA.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO, I think it's Daniels' job to lose from now unto the beginning of next year. I think if he shakes this slump the last 10 or so games this regular season, plays like he did in the playoffs last year, then I think the torch would be effectively passed. Marquis Daniels is a starter, and I like Stackhouse as an off the bench scorer, anyway.

I think Finley stays until the end of this contract, and depending on how we're doing as a team, and how his body holds up, I can see him signing a 2-3 year extenson ala Reggie Miller.

·
Registered
274 Posts
_Dre_ said:
IMO, I think it's Daniels' job to lose from now unto the beginning of next year. I think if he shakes this slump the last 10 or so games this regular season, plays like he did in the playoffs last year, then I think the torch would be effectively passed. Marquis Daniels is a starter, and I like Stackhouse as an off the bench scorer, anyway.

I think Finley stays until the end of this contract, and depending on how we're doing as a team, and how his body holds up, I can see him signing a 2-3 year extenson ala Reggie Miller.
I agree that maquis is capable of being a starter, however if both him and stackhouse stay here next season stackhouse is the better player no doubt and he will start. If true than Marquis will be our 6th man along with KVH and Terry coming in off the bench!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
NastyN44 said:
I agree that maquis is capable of being a starter, however if both him and stackhouse stay here next season stackhouse is the better player no doubt and he will start. If true than Marquis will be our 6th man along with KVH and Terry coming in off the bench!!
My bad i meant Harris instead of Terry!!! :clown:

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, Stackhouse might be the better scorer. Daniels is the better defender, passer, rebounder, and he's unselfish. I think Stackhouse is better suited primarily as the scorer off the bench. He's too one dimensional to start over Daniels, IMO.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think Fin will have to bring his A-Game come the playoffs as we need him to be consistantly bringing everything he has to the table. With Maqruis, he does this and proved it last year vs Sacremento. He has the abiltiy to get inside and cause havic and look for three point plays. Over Fin's career he has played an astronomical amount of minutes and it has taken a toll on his body, thus why we see him rely on his outside shot more, as he can no longer beat his man off the first dribble and take it to the hoop like Marquis can. For the moment I beleive KVH can do that job much better as the straight out shooter on our team and does a great job from the bench, thus I beleive Fin should be put into the same situation so he has less pressure on him as a starter and can be injected into the game when it is most suited to his style of play. As for Stack becoming a starter, he is fine where he is, his contributions can be phenonimal off the bench and imo he should stay there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
_Dre_ said:
No, Stackhouse might be the better scorer. Daniels is the better defender, passer, rebounder, and he's unselfish. I think Stackhouse is better suited primarily as the scorer off the bench. He's too one dimensional to start over Daniels, IMO.
Yes, stackhouse is the better scorer! No, Stackhouse is the better defender, passer, and rebounder than Marquis! Says me and coach Johnson! Sorry but if they both stay witch I think they both will, Stackhouse will start!

·
Registered
31 Posts
wait isnt stack a 3 and marq a 2. I guess in stack's older age he could be religated to a 2 but I think he would be better coming of the bence since in retrospect he can be either. Letting him give either postition a break. But this also presuposed that Finley is out of the picture, which even though in a previous post, i mentioned his decreasing importance. I have been proven completely wrong. His defense has drasticly improved and his contract is to large to go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would love to see Daniels start but i think at least for this season they will keep fin in the starting 5.One thing is when Finley isnt hitting shots he cant really do anything else for the team.

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. Finley has to prove that he deserves a starting place!

2. He must perform pretty well in the Play off to convince everyone that he deserves that place.

3. M. Daniels`s maturity and improvement may well effect his position in the starting line up.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Exactly what Amir said,
He needs to earn it. It also depends on how well Daniels comes along. I'f he's playing like he in now, Finley will keep his role. But if he gets back to Daniels from last years playoffs, watch out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts