Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's so many player-comparison drawn nowadays - a KG-type player, a Dirk-type player, Shaq type-player etc..... but how about players who's game is so unique (or uniquely crappy) that he's rarely or never used as a comparison?

I nominated Vlade Divac. There just aren't many 7'1" players that can pass like Vlade does. He always seems to be able to find the open man. Aside from his passing skills, there just aren't many 7'1" players that flops like Vlade does too! I mean, why block a shot when you can just take a charge and draw a foul! There's a handful of Euro C's who tend to flop more than they block, but no one's got it mastered like Vlade.

Vlade's truly a one of a kind player. You can say that certain players may share certain traits with him, but as a complete package, there ain't no one like him.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
People have a tough time comparing LeBron James to anyone else.
Grant Hill.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lakota_Blazer</b>!
Arvydas Sabonis >>> Vlade Divac
That was not the question...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'd have to say.....hmmmm.....

Maybe Shaq.

Theres never been a man so strong yet quick that he could literally dominate any competition simply by either going through them or getting by them with a quick step or move. There really has never been a center like him.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigWill33176</b>!
I'd have to say.....hmmmm.....

Maybe Shaq.

Theres never been a man so strong yet quick that he could literally dominate any competition simply by either going through them or getting by them with a quick step or move. There really has never been a center like him.
wilt chamberlain ...is all i have to say

·
Registered
697 Posts
ginobli = nocioni = gritty international players. there are a lot of them in europe. just that ginobli and nocioni happen to be the best.

the closest i can think of are: antoine walker, penny hardaway, yao ming, dwyane wade, emeka okafor, ben wallace, and tony parker, off the top of my head.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
People you're not really getting my point of this thread!! Sabonis is actually a good comparison for Divacs I gotta admit, but Lebron James is not like Grant Hill, and Ginobilli is certainly nothing like Kobe.

Lebron is 6'8", 240lbs. Great hops, superb athleticism, has got all the raw skills to be a great NBA player. Grant Hill at 100% health is an ok comparison, but just because he was a triple-double threat at the SF position doesn't make him like Lebron, and vice versa. If you've watched both of them play, their styles are not alike at all.

And Ginobilli is a one-of-a-kind player. Kobe dunks pass defenders, Ginobilli weaves his way around defenders and makes crazy lay-ups. Ginobilli makes a lot of risky passes, Kobe doesn't. The list goes on... terrible comparison.

And I was thinking that Amare's a player pretty hard to compare to too. There's not many 20yr old players with the raw strength that he does, and not many people his size that has the mobility that he does. Chris Anderson's a role player who rebounds and blocks - Dennis Rodman would be someone who comes into mind as a person with no offensive game.

And while there'll never be another person as dominant as Shaq, he's often used as a comparison for players with great size and a range of post moves. His game is not hard to imitate, but his combination of size, super strength, and agility will likely never be matched by anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't think of a single player playing today that can't be compared, even loosely, to another player. Most of the uber-versatile types like KG or Odom that have been coming up can be compared to one another. Earl Boykins is unique, but can probably be connected best with Spud Webb.

Tough to match Ben Wallace up with someone. Reminds me a little of what I figure Wes Unseld would play like, but Ben is a better shotblocker, and Wes was a better scorer (and outlet passer).

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
"incomparable players"?

I can't think of many, but here it goes...

Magic Johnson;
Kareem Abdull-Jabbar;
Charles Barkley;
Dennis Rodman;
John Havlicek;
John Stockton...

Now, before the thrashing begins, let me just say that the players i stated are the ones i don't think we could easily find any suitable comparison... not stating that they are better or worse than the comparison...

Michael Jordan's obvious comparison is Kobe Bryant;
Wilt Chamberlain's obvious comparison is Shaq... and so on...

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Barkley's a good one. Not likely we'll see another "Round Mound of Rebound"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts