Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
University of New Haven(div 2) has announced today that they are dropping their football team. I think back in 1997 they won the division 2 championship.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I saw a brief article about that, too, in the NYT, and the article either said they'd won or played in the D-II championship game.

What was weird about the article (at least I thought) was the reasoning for the move that the university apparently provided. They claimed to be dropping football for gender equity reasons. However, at the same time they were also dropping like four women's teams. Typically, though, don't schools add women's teams and drop men's teams in order to comply with Title IX?

My thought was that the school made a decision to drop football for cost reasons and then used Title IX as an excuse to drop the four women's teams, claiming, presumably, that after dropping football, the number of women athletes would've outnumbered the men unless they dropped a bunch of women's sports, rather than just coming out and saying that they were also dropping the women's teams for cost reasons.

I'd be interested to know what the real story was.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Drooping Football allows you to cut girl's sports

If you drop football with 60+ male athletes you can get rid of a few girls teams.

You make the financial savings by cutting FB which they wanted and know because of a disproportionate # of female /male students you have the right to cut girl's sports under the guise of gender equity for the men.

Most of those women's teams had originally came about so the school could be in compliance with Title IX.

Another big financial savings for the school.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
According to the Hartford Courant, there are three women's sports being dropped (indoor and outdoor track and golf). Here's the article if you feel like registering to read it:

New Haven Drops Football

BTW, did you ever see New Haven's football schedule? It was brutal with travel all over the country! But they had some decent teams, including one that upset Villanova a few years ago down on the Main Line.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
New Haven dropped FB because they no longer wanted to play a national schedule. Since they were a powerhouse DII team they had to play all over the country and it was expensive. They lowered their expenses and scholarships to play a regional schedule, but only a few schools like Southern Conn. would agree to play them. So they were really forced to drop football because they couldn't find a regional schedule (or conference) to play. And because football is a large and expensive program to run, they had to drop women’s teams for gender equity reasons.

On a somewhat related note, CCSU is planning to announce their new football coach soon. The 2 candidates are Tom Masella and Jim Fleming. Masella is a former UConn assistant who previously was coach at Fairfield and Boston University. He is also applying for the UMass head-coaching job. Fleming, who has been offered the defensive coordinator's job at Akron, was an assistant at North Carolina the past two seasons, he resigned after the 2003 Tar Heels went 2-10. Denny Creehan, a former Army assistant who last week withdrew from a scheduled Central interview Monday, has been named defensive coordinator for Calgary of the Canadian Football League.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wrestling eliminated at Bing U

On the topic of elimination of various sports, check this out:

Save Binghamton Wrestling website

There has been a load of controversy about this move as you can see!! Word has it that William Baldwin (actor, former Bing U wrestler, and activist regarding elimination of the wrestling program) is going to be in town this weekend, wonder if there is a protest being organized to coincide with the Events Center opening?? Tomorrow may be a very interesting day on campus!!

Bing has chosen basketball as its marquee sport much to the chagrin of some factions.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I've got a call in to the Head Men's BB Coach at New Haven, he's an old bud, I'll see what I can find out.

UNH (where I grew up, New Haven is UNH) beat UConn once, and it was a HUGE deal. I think they've also beaten 'Nova, Fordham, as well/. They wanted to play NU a few years ago and McCaw said no. They played 'Nova instead and won.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NU Hoop Fan</b>!
UNH (where I grew up, New Haven is UNH)
Tell me about it! I don't buy any shirts or hats that say UNH unless they also say Wildcats or New Hampshire because everyone in CT would think it was New Haven. When I was growing up, it was New Haven College! But try telling the Nutmeggers that the school in Durham was UNH probably close to 50 years before the Chargers became the University of New Haven!!

[/END RANT] -- NU Hoop Fan, you definitely struck a pet peeve!

·
Registered
188 Posts
To Gobearcats, re Bing dropping wrestling

Have some background info on the wrestling issue. That webpage is a bunch of drivel, full of half-truths, misrepresented data from the affirmative action reports (EADA), and vitriol against the administration for dropping a sport that has given them nothing but trouble for a least a decade.

Anyone remember the racial gang style assault on four kids by three of the wrestlers a few years ago? There was a lot of external pressure to get rid of the sport back then, but the AD held the line, not wanting to set up behavior as a precedent for eliminating a sport. Since then they've had one run in with the police after another.

As for Billy Baldwin, he's a washed-up never been of an actor who's ego is clearly bigger than his brain. That clown was the quivalent of a jv wrestler in the early 80's, and in his one plus years of wrestling is thought to have never actually gotten into a match. For that glorious career he was recently inducted into the wrestling hall of fame (the national one; no joke....).

I was at the game today, and he and a few dozen other clowns were there trying to gain sympathy for their misbegotten cause. They looked like a pack of thugs, and should have been sent on their way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts