Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dallas Mavericks’ forward Shawn Marion remains an unrestricted free agent and it looked like his days in Dallas have come to an end. He has enjoyed great success with the Mavericks, winning a championship in 2011. Marion hoped to join a contender if he could not remain with the Mavericks and although plenty of teams would like to sign Marion, no one will give him the money he is looking for.

Chuck Myron of Hoops Rumors thinks the Indiana Pacers would be a good fit for Marion.

I think Marion will hold out for quite a while before he settles for the minimum. That’s an intriguing scenario, though, since conceivably he could start at the 3 and Paul George could go back to shooting guard, where he played before Danny Granger got hurt.

The Pacers have had an offseason they’d probably prefer to forget. They lost guard Lance Stephenson in free agency when he signed a three-year, $27 million deal with the Charlotte Hornets. Stephenson gave the Pacers trouble both on and off of the court, but he is a very talented player that will be very hard to replace. They did sign former Detroit Pistons’ combo guard Rodney Stuckey. His versatility will help, but he’s certainly a downgrade from Stephenson. Getting Marion would help replace some of that lost production.

Marion averaged 10.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 48.2% from the field, 35.8% from beyond the arc and 78.5% from the free throw line last season. Over the course of his career, he’s put up 15.8 points, 9.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.1 blocks per game while shooting 48.5% from the floor, 33.2% from three and 81.1% from the charity stripe.
http://fansided.com/2014/07/28/shawn-marion-rumors-indiana-pacers-fit/#!bqckFi

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I'd love to have Marion on the team. I've wanted him in Indiana for quite a while.

That being said, there's no way George moves back to the 2. You don't play your star player out of position just to force Marion into the lineup.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I'm not sure Marion's a starter at this stage in his career. That said, I'd welcome him for the minimum if we can move Copeland to open a roster spot. I'd be fine with giving him 20-25 mpg off the bench backing up West and George. That cuts into Scola's time, which is great, and means we don't have to even think about playing Solomon Hill or Damjan Rudez, which is also great.

The main issue I have is with him seeing time at the 3. Our spacing is already atrocious and Marion's never been a consistent shooter. Plus, he can't dribble more than once or twice, even in a straight line drive. But that's still better than anything else we have right now.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I don't mind the idea of Hill or Rudez getting decent backup minutes early on to see if either can be a competent NBA player.

Hill hasn't really got much of a shot yet, and Damjan is an unknown commodity when it comes to the NBA.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I don't mind the idea of Hill or Rudez getting decent backup minutes early on to see if either can be a competent NBA player.

Hill hasn't really got much of a shot yet, and Damjan is an unknown commodity when it comes to the NBA.
I agree, and I have confidence that in Hill's prime, he will be the 8th man on a decently successful team. But for now, I'd much rather have Marion than have to rely on two unknown commodities for anything other than Copeland-time.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I agree, and I have confidence that in Hill's prime, he will be the 8th man on a decently successful team. But for now, I'd much rather have Marion than have to rely on two unknown commodities for anything other than Copeland-time.
Fair enough. I do agree it would be nice to have a guy we could trust coming off the bench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts