Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=5834

Some very interesting quotes:

Jason F, West New York, NJ: Roger, Is it possible a monetary settlement was made behind the scenes, prior to any civil case?

Roger Cossack: It's possible but highly unlikely. It would require the lawyers talking about payment of money to keep from testifying and that is a crime. What I think happened is once the victim hired Lynn Wood, a known civil attorney, they examined the case and realized the chance for sucess was minimal. I think they just decided to concentrate on the civil case and probably are looking for mercy money from Kobe.
Steve (Idaho Falls, ID): 1. Are prosecutors in this country really this inept? 2. Have you previously seen cases where the Court has made such egregious errors that contributed to the dismissal?

Roger Cossack: I don't know if the prosecutors are always inept but they didn't do a very good job in this case. I was disappointed in Hurlbert's statement last night. I frankly thought he owed an apology to Bryant and the taxpayers instead of defending the accuser. He should have been angry at the accuser. For her to just walk away five days before the trial is outrageous. Kobe will forever be remembered by many as a rapist even though this never went to trial.
Clay Landon, Los Angeles: First of all, thank you for your coverage of this case. ESPN is reporting that many are "stunned" the charges were dropped. Are you among them?

Roger Cossack: I did not expect this. The Eagle Co. office was saying the accuser was on board and they were ready to go. So I was absolutely suprised. It's disappointing that the accuser will not stand up and go to court. Questions have been left unanswered and Kobe will be branded as buying his way out of it.
Chris: Did the defense ask to throw out the case because of evidence that wasn't given to the defense? The Prosecutor seems to put everything on the girl instead of taking any kind of blame.

Roger Cossack: I think you are right. The prosecutor had no case. This was a shaky victim from the beginning. The prosecutor should have been better prepared for the kind of witness she might be.
Damian, Orlando Florida: How much did Kobe spend on the defense?

Roger Cossack: This is a pure guess .. probably $8-10 million.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
I still don't understand why this woman won't testify in the criminal trial, but is willing to testify in a civil trial where she has less privacy in a case like this and stands to receive a large cash settlement. It doesn't make her intentions look good.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
I still don't understand why this woman won't testify in the criminal trial, but is willing to testify in a civil trial where she has less privacy in a case like this and stands to receive a large cash settlement. It doesn't make her intentions look good.
Because in the civil case it would be an EQUAL playing field. Not only would HER personal life go on display, so would KOBE's.

Why testify when the judge only allowed negative aspects of HER personal life to be a part of the case and NOTHING negative about Kobe. A losing battle; why testify there.

Go for the money if you're going to deal with your life becoming an open book while at the same time having his equally opened.

Sounds right to me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dynasty Raider</b>!

Because in the civil case it would be an EQUAL playing field. Not only would HER personal life go on display, so would KOBE's.

Why testify when the judge only allowed negative aspects of HER personal life to be a part of the case and NOTHING negative about Kobe. A losing battle; why testify there.

Go for the money if you're going to deal with your life becoming an open book while at the same time having his equally opened.

Sounds right to me.
This post is wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.

I curious to know what you are talking about when reffering to Kobe's history? What exactly did the judge rule out in court that would have damaged Kobe? Embarrassing, irrelevent things? Mabye, but not things that point to aggression towards women.

"Go for the money" That is exactly what's going to earn her Zero. With the amount of focus her and her lawyer are puting on this civl case rather than the criminal case, one has to question her intentions if she wasn't willing to fight to put him in jail.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dynasty Raider</b>!

What? Why would the judge void his own gag order and let the trial be publicly tried? Are you nuts?

:uhoh:

Sounds right to me.
I'm shocked. :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts