Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.82games.com/0304NYK.HTM

our leader in plus minus ratings is Frank Williams, with +5.9 (eisley was -6.2, Norris is -10)

unfortunately, almost every else is negative. Thats includes our best players Stephon and Houston. Thats probably because of the amount of losses we have... but then these are the guys responsible for the losses.

just an interesting number to look at

also our most winningest lineup is "Williams-Houston-Van Horn-Thomas-Mutombo" who won all 5 games that this lineup was used.

yet another interesting stat is that 74 percent of our shots are jumpshots. This clearly shows that we need some kind of inside presence, which is not easy to find in todays nba.

what an interesting site that is...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
that is what confused me the most..the only time this year we have looked good is that stretch where frank started....Its the only time i remeber the knicks playing inspired bball....But he never got the chance under Chaney,pre starbury..dont undertsand that..

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I thought we looked good in some of the Marbury games too. I particularly remembered some nice perimeter ball movement when Marbury and Hardaway were out there together. Then Houston and VH got cold, and this team lives and dies by the jumper.

The beauty is that Frank is still here, and I think he will play more.

Still, while this team is miles from a championship I think they're just a good post player away from making some noise in the east. Wilkens is just starting to impliment his own offense and know the players, the old Knicks just getting over the loss of their friends and the bad handling of Chaney, the trade deadline still looms, and now Houston and Van Horn are hurt.

Long story short, I keep an eye on the standings but I wont consider the caliber of play on the floor close to the potential of what we may see in the second half season if everyone stays healthy. And if one more strong athlete is brought in. And I don't even think it needs to be a Sheed or SAR, maybe just a strong double-double guy who can play solid D. Dekembe doesn't score much and when he is on the bench (which is almost half the game) the mixes of Hardaway, VH, Thomas, Doleac, Harrington are not a strong defensive front court. (Rashid thinks KT is overrated, but just think of our D without him.)

A lot of our recent losses have been in the fourth quarter where a few more stops and rebounds (along with a healthy Houston and non-slumping VH) might have put us right there at the end.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
KT is overrated. What makes him any better than Antonio Davis, PJ Brown, and every other half-decent banger? His defense is nice, but there are plenty out there with better contributions there, and he has no offense to speak inside of 12 feet. How many times besides this one would KT even start for?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I think those are valid comparisons. Just how "rated" do you think KT is?

Let's put it this way, on the all-defensive team he's a scrub. On this team he, or another of his ilk, is vital.

But, he's considered by many executives to be the glue of this team. He's the Knicks best help defender, which means he anchors the D.

Plus he adds about 12pts and 9rbs. And he's consitent. He's just a very dependable guy. But certainly not a star. No flash.

4th on the team in points
Best front court player in assists
2nd on team in blocks
1st in rebs
Shoots FG 451%, FT 82%
Plus strong lowpost and best help defender.

Plus, what will never show up on a stat sheet, he's an excellent screen setter, which is glue to this pick and pop offense.

Does all that make him a star? No, just an important cog. And perhaps more than any player other than Marbury, he complements the other players on the team.

It'd be the same if we had a non-stellar low post scorer. Even if he weren't great, if he were just darn good, on this team you wouldn't give that up for cheap.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
btw,i am not saying frank should start,though i wouldnt mind seeing williams and starbury playing together with williams playing the point.....

my real feelings are that Williams is talented enough that we should have traded for a low post player and kept frank and some of our youth and picks..i am suprised,Atlanta wouldnt have swapped Rahim for Dyss and maybe a draft pick

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It's called an aberration.

The Knicks beat cupcake teams during that stretch with F-Will starting.

The Knicks beat Atlanta, Orlando without McGrady, and Miami twice without Wade. The Knicks could have won those games if their starting PG were Rick Brunson or Bo Kimble.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Atlanta wouldnt have swapped Rahim for Dyss and maybe a draft pick
That's not a good swap for Atlanta. Rahim is worth more than cap space and the 14th-17th pick. He's not a cancer like Glenn Robinson. Especially since he only has 2 years left anyway. He'll have even more value next year.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>!

The Knicks beat Atlanta, Orlando without McGrady, and Miami twice without Wade. The Knicks could have won those games if their starting PG were Rick Brunson or Bo Kimble.
Don't worry, they'll be tested for real soon enough this month. Though I think come March, after Houston has rested, the trade deadline has passed, and Wilken's structure has been more fully implemented, will be the truer test. And they play a lot of eastern conference teams then, so we'll see how they match up against their ilk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.