Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On ESPN, they did this little project that they call the ESPN The Magazine's Fan Satisfaction Rankings: Where fans rate every team, from 1 to 121 .

I still don't understand how it works completely, but it takes all teams into consideration from the four major sports (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) and gives each team a rank based on their (ESPN'S) criteria.

Here is a sample of the list (they don't count the Houston Texans):

Top 5:

1. San Antonio Spurs - ;)
2. Dallas Mavericks
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Kansas City Cheifs

Bottom 5:

116. New York Knicks
117. Atlanta Hawks
118. San Diego Chargers
119. Arizona Cardinals
120. Chicago Blackhawks

If someone figures out exactly what these rankings mean, then please enlighen me. I tried to read into it, but I'm just too tired to figure it out now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Interesting. Time to read the whole list.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I saw that link awhile ago, it's fun to look at it every couple of months. It's sad that my Wizards are always around 100 though since we lost MJ, but it is nice to see an NBA team at number one :D

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Arizona Cardinals should be dead last...and this is coming from a Cardinals fan.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
On ESPN, they did this little project that they call the ESPN The Magazine's Fan Satisfaction Rankings: Where fans rate every team, from 1 to 121 .

I still don't understand how it works completely, but it takes all teams into consideration from the four major sports (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) and gives each team a rank based on their (ESPN'S) criteria.

Here is a sample of the list (they don't count the Houston Texans):

Top 5:

1. San Antonio Spurs - ;)
2. Dallas Mavericks
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Kansas City Cheifs

Bottom 5:

116. New York Knicks
117. Atlanta Hawks
118. San Diego Chargers
119. Arizona Cardinals
120. Chicago Blackhawks

If someone figures out exactly what these rankings mean, then please enlighen me. I tried to read into it, but I'm just too tired to figure it out now.
Well I dunno how they add up the totals, but basically each team is rated by its own fans on various categories (ie. Fan Relation, Ownership, Players, Affordability), and these stats are compared against all the other teams, giving them a rank out of 120. The top teams means the fans are very happy with the product they're getting, and the bottom teams means they're not. Click on the team names and u get a lil' more detail about why they're ranked where they are. Very interesting read.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Wow Pistons are in fourth they jumped quite a bit since it cam eout in their magazine last year.

·
Registered
729 Posts
How old is that article? I think it was before this basketball season started. If so then the knicks would be way down, but with the changes I think the fans are more satisfied now. But we'll never be satisfied until we get a championship.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It gives the key for the different categories n the top right corner of the site. Then it lists the overall ranking of the team and the ranking of the team in a certain category of the 120 franchises.

This is the weighted average of the rankings that they used.

BNG (Bang for the Buck): 15.8%
Revenues directly from fans divided by wins in the past three years

FRL (Fan Relations): 16.2%
Ease of access to players, coaches and management

OWN (Ownership): 15.5%
Honesty; loyalty to players and city

AFF (Affordability): 10.5%
Price of tickets, parking and concessions

STD (Stadium Experience): 12.7%
Friendliness of environment; quality of game-day promotions

PLA (Players): 13.0%
Effort on the field; likability off it

CCH (Coach/Manager): 8.6%
Strong on-field leadership

CHA (Championships): 7.7%
Titles already won or expected -- soon

And then they finally used this formula to come up with the overall ranking:

Overall = (BNG x .158) + (FRL x .162) + (OWN x .155) + (AFF x .105) + (STD x .127) + (PLA x .130) + (CCH x .086) + (CHA x .077)

So they have a Sample of 31,000. The categorical ranks are based on who got the most 1st votes in that category. However they do not take an equal weighted average of the 8 categories, they weight the categories differently. So if a franchise has the most 1st place votes in the Fan Relations category (FRL), it will go more towards their overall ranking than if they led in the titles won or expected(CHA) category. So they take the number of 1st place votes you get in a certain category (max 31,000) and multiply it by the weighted percentage. Obviously, the higher ranked you are in a category, the more 1st place votes you got.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts