Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on another board:

Spurs:

1) 0-3 against Lakers
2) 0-2 against Mavs
3) 0-1 against Twolves
4) 1-0 against Pacers
5) Haven't played Kings

Those are arguably the 5 best teams in the L this season, (the Pistons and Nets are close though). That's 0-6 against the West and 1-6 overall when you include the Pacers game the Spurs barely won in OT.

While many won't admit it, the Spurs do have problems on offense that their defense cannot solve. I don't see the Spurs holding either the Kings, Twolves or Lakers to much less than 100 points when it comes to a playoff series. Of course, the Spurs could always improve their offense, but I don't see Parker or Manu improving enough this season. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's interesting I guess when people are arguing about the Spurs being the best team right now they leave that fact out on purpose.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well that is an interesting fact/stat...Imma have to say the spurs will be able to improve by next season if they can do the right things to improve

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That's really interesting.

However, I remember the Spurs having significant players missing for some of those (eg 2 games v Lakers). That's not a great argument though, as the Wolves had 3 key players missing last night.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>JazzMan</b>!
That's really interesting.

However, I remember the Spurs having significant players missing for some of those (eg 2 games v Lakers). That's not a great argument though, as the Wolves had 3 key players missing last night.
Actually, only 1 of the 3 losses the Spurs suffered to the Lakers were the Spurs missing players; the first meeting where TD and TP didn't play.

But the other two losses the Spurs suffered to the Lakers, Timmy and Tony played.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
That's a very interesting stat. In the midst of this talk about Spurs being the very best of the L, this pops up.

However, the Spurs will still be one of the strongest title contender come playoff-time.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
The Spurs are a better team now then when they played those games. They've really meshed as a team the last 2 months feasting on the rest of the league.

The Kings haven't even played the Spurs or Lakers, and they lost to the Mavs...they might have won both against the wolves but I don't remember offhand.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is very interesting...of course, they're just starting to become more acclimated to one another...I dont think they'll win the title, and I also think they could fall very early in the playoffs...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
The Spurs are a better team now then when they played those games. They've really meshed as a team the last 2 months feasting on the rest of the league.

The Kings haven't even played the Spurs or Lakers, and they lost to the Mavs...they might have won both against the wolves but I don't remember offhand.
Or you could phrase that the other way.

"Those teams have not played the Kings yet"

And the *allas game on Xmas. I firmly believe if Peja had been there and not suspended there would not have been any question who would've won.

That was 25-30pts we were missing :(

*allas is a joke so they aren't even a concern.
Neither are the Spurs or the Lakers.

The Wolves ARE a concern. But it looks like Kings match up well w/them. Series has been split thus far and it could've actually been Kings 2 Wolves 0 right now if the Kings hadn't decided to play STUPID the last 30 seconds of that home game :upset:

·
Registered
26 Posts
re:

Yes the Spurs are 0-6 against the West's Best

But only one of those games was a blowout..

The Spurs are probably the 3rd Best full strength team right now behind LA and SAC in my opinion

They'll get it together and make their 2nd half run...

San Antonio has always been a 2nd half team in the regular season

You guys should know that by now

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Originally posted by <b>1652</b>!

Or you could phrase that the other way.

"Those teams have not played the Kings yet"

And the *allas game on Xmas. I firmly believe if Peja had been there and not suspended there would not have been any question who would've won.

That was 25-30pts we were missing :(

*allas is a joke so they aren't even a concern.
Neither are the Spurs or the Lakers.

The Wolves ARE a concern. But it looks like Kings match up well w/them. Series has been split thus far and it could've actually been Kings 2 Wolves 0 right now if the Kings hadn't decided to play STUPID the last 30 seconds of that home game :upset:
spurs and lakers have combined to win the last 5 championship and the lakers have improved there team so they are a concern. when the kings beat the lakers when it counts than you can say the laakers are not a concern.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Are the Lakers going to have Shaq against the Kings this friday? Or do the kings luck out and get to play a poor man's 2002 Sonics squad?

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

You forgot the Dec 5th thriller? :upset: jk

That is distressing. Even last year's "KG doesn't win enough" were even against the best. If they also break even, it's not a huge deal.

They've gone from 4-0 v. LAL to 0-3. So it's imrpessive they have one of the best records. Sort of. But they also lostto a team like Atlanta badly.

OT: The MIN-SAC rivalry is a really great one. Either one can take a game and snatch away a win. And they're very entertaining.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would say that every one of the top 5 teams in the WC are somewhat enigmatic.

SA: 26-13 and won 15 of 16 at one point, but are 1-6 vs. elite teams and have played the 2nd weakest overall schedule so far. They've also had some incomprehensible losses (losing to the Sixers without Iverson at home? losing to the Sixers without Thomas, Coleman or Robinson?).

Sac: Best record in the league, but weakest schedule overall, only played 4 games vs. elite teams (2-2). Have had several very bad losses and have blown several big leads. Their defensive FG% has gone from #1 last season to #24 this season (huh?).

Minnesota: Tearing it up on the road, but have had several baffling home losses (blown out by the 4-14 road Jazz, blown lead vs. NY, loss to the 4-15 road Warriors) and already have 5 home losses. 4-4 vs elite teams. Which Sprewell will show up for the playoffs - the guy who's tearing it up now or the guy who went 6 quarters without a FG earlier in the season?

LAL: Have all kinds of injury problems, and weren't playing as well as their record would indicate when healthy.

Dallas: They're actually beating good teams this season, but they've been incredibly inconsistant and have had a ton of trouble with mediocre teams. Plus, their defense is possibly the worst its ever been.

Its not just the Spurs - there are serious questions to be asked of every WC contender right now.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
I am just going to say this for King's fans...I remember. I remember Peja, Christie, and others nutting up against the Lakers. In the last 5 seasons, only the Lakers and Spurs have been able to put the other team out the playoffs. Until you can win that 4th game against one of those two teams...YOU ARE PRETENDERS! I don't care if you win 70 games in the regular season.

:laugh: How can a team that hasn't even made the finals think the last 5 NBA title winners are not a problem?:whoknows: :rofl:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
That stat is misleading.

All three Lakers games were played before December 6th, and both Mavs games were played in November. Everyone knows the Spurs werent playing the best basketball at that time because Timmy D and Parker had just come back from injury, and they were still getting back into a rhythm. Twolves beat the Spurs recently (minus Ginobli) but Twolves have been on a tear, and have beat all the elite teams lately.

Once again, like I said in November, its not about whos hot now, its about whos hot going into the playoffs. Right now, the Lakers are struggling, but that doesnt mean they wont get it together.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Twolves beat the Spurs recently (minus Ginobli) but Twolves have been on a tear, and have beat all the elite teams lately.
The Spurs were not minus Ginobili. However, the Wolves were minus Szczerbiak, Hudson, Trent, and Olowakandi.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Interesting, but I'm not buying

Like a few said earlier, they were nowhere near playing the way they are at that point. I think at the beginning of that long winning streak is when they finally became a meshed team. I'd like to see a Kings-Spurs game...right now while they're both hot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blabla97</b>!

The Spurs were not minus Ginobili. However, the Wolves were minus Szczerbiak, Hudson, Trent, and Olowakandi.
Thank you, at least someone knows what they are talkin about. Minny has been playing without 3 of their top 6 players the whole year, and now trent, number 7, is out. Minny has beat all the big teams(only have struggled with Dallas at home, which everyone does in Dallas) Minny plays the spurs 3 more times after the break, and this will decide the midwest. Dallas wont be in it. Minny will be healthy and rested for the stretch run, and 2 of the 3 are at the Target Center, a hard place to play on the road when the wolves are playing good. should be a good entertaining rest of the year.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Let's look at the Spurs games against the top teams:

Lakers - (0-3) No excuses here. The Spurs had a chance to win two out of the three games, but the Lakers made the plays and won the games. The other game was a blowout.

Mavs - (0-2) The Spurs will pound on the Mavs, when it counts. I'm not worried about these losses, because I don't see them as a threat.

Timberwolves (0-1) The Spurs lost a very win-able game, simple as that.

The only thing that bothers me about the above is the three losses to the Lakers. The Spurs can easily beat the Mavs come playoff time, and they played the Timberwolves in a very close game. Just because they have lost these games doesn't make the Spurs any less credible in my mind.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts