Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and welcome to my interview with someone here in Houston that has a lot of insider information regarding the league and Blazers specifically.

MM: Hi thanks for taking the time to do this, I really appreciate it.

??: Certainly, you're welcome. I have about a half hour so shoot.

MM: Ok, tell me everything there is to know about the league. GO!

??: Haha, in all seriousness that would only take about 2 minutes. The Pistons, Spurs, Mavs and Heat are really good. Everyone else is an also ran. There how did I do?

MM: Thankfully I'm not paying you for this.

??: Wait a minute, you're not?

MM: Ok, seriously now. As you know I'm a life long Trailblazers fan and I'd like to know anything you can offer up. Let's start at the top. What's up with Paul Allen?

??: I've heard he has no intention whatsoever of remaining owner under the current financial strcture between the Blazers and The owners of the Rose Garden. I don't know the particulars, but I've heard it would be almost impossible for him to move the team, so you can sleep at night knowing that.

MM: Ok, I'll leave it at that before the bad news starts coming out. What have you heard about John Nash's future with the team?

??: That it's all but over.

MM: That's it? It's all but over? You're like the color guy in the movie Major League.

??: Never saw it

MM: It's a classic, you should rent it sometime. Now back to basketball. If not Nash, then who.

??: I've heard Kiki Vandeweghe's name bantied about. Word is if PA can convince him that the situation is better and not worse then he's their guy. If not then look for Kevin Pritchard to slide into that role.

MM: What do you think about the job John Nash has done.

??: Outstanding. He took a team full of players that everyone knew needed to be traded and overhauled it with little or no resources from the owner.

MM: There was an article written a week or so ago in Portland about some trades that were vetoed by PA. Do you know anything about that?

??: I know JN has had Darius Miles traded at least twice only to be vetoed by PA. There were also strong grumblings about a trade invloving Zach Randolph and Theo Ratliff

MM: Together??

??: No seperate, but if JN had his way none of them would be Blazers right now.

MM: What do you think of the roster as it stands?

??: Young, developing, but will need about 2 years to make any noise.

MM: Any standout players you see in the future.

??: Haha, ya a whole roster full of them.

MM: Can you be a little more specific?

??: The team has two PG's on their roster that will be great player in this league for a long time. A shooting guard, or small forward depending on who you ask in Martell Webster that might be the best player in his draft class when it's all said and done, and other pieces like Viktor Khryapa and Travis Outlaw that will both be solid if not great players. I really like the Khryapa kid.

MM: What about the veterans?

??: I like Przybilla and Blake. Everyone else should go. Wait, I take that back. They ALL should go, but I like the two I mentioned.

MM: Why should they all go?

??: Portland will never win with any of them. Telfair, Jack, Webster, Kryapa, Outlaw and Maybe Przybilla are players to build around. They need to add a star to that group. If I were Portland I'd be on the phone every day to Minnesota begging for Garnett.

MM: Yes, I know begging often works in trade talks.

??: It does when you have a young stud like Randolph and a high draft pick. Putting Garnett with the others and adding a year of experience to them would probably get Portland in playoff contention next year.

MM: If they keep the pick, who should they draft?

??: We've talked before, so you know I don't like Morrison. I'd take Noah if he comes out. He's been on the radar all year. I would stay away from Morrison, Reddick, Aldridge and Gay. Go after Noah or Thomas, but not Thomas with the first pick.

MM: I thought you told me earlier this year that you loved Gay

??: I do, but not for the Blazers. That's not the player they need. They need someone that will bust his *** all game. Gay will be a good pro, but not what Portland needs.

MM: Then why not Morrison?

??: He's fine I guess, I would love to draft him if I had the 5th pick or lower.

MM: So what else can I ask you besides "what's up with the shirt?"

??: It's a faconnable. You don't like it?

MM: It's very rainbowy

??: I've been told I'm a spring

MM: More like a nut or bolt...I'm kidding I know what you meant.

??: Anything basketball related

MM: If you had any control over it what would be your Blazer rotation next year

??: Well I guess I have two

Telfair/Jack
Webster/Dixon
Kryapa/Outlaw
Garnett/Skinner
Przybilla/Ratliff

or

Telfair/Jack
Pierce maybe/Dixon
Webster/Outlaw
Khryapa/Noah
Noah/Skinner

??: I like those. Both would be playoff contenders most of the year. The following year they'd battle easily for the playoffs. I'd clear cap space as quickly as possible unless I could land a star like Garnett or Pierce then overpay for a free agent or two to turn my team around

MM: Telfair over Jack?

??: In a word yes. Jack is steady, like Terry Porter used to be. Telfair can be dominating like Steve Nash. I see the excitement in your face, I mean in a few years.

MM: I should probably ask some fun questions like this guy Hap did in another interview.

??: What kind of name is Hap?

MM: It's a nickname on a basketball forum site

??: What's yours?

MM: Mediocre Man

??: <laughing> what the heck?

MM: I got it off of a cocktail napkin. Super Hero names that never caught on or something like that.

??: You should have left it on the napkin

MM: Do you have a better name?

??: How about basketball board geek

MM: Ouch. I'm very sensitive.

??: Sorry, couldn't resist.

MM: Last question

??: Thank God

MM: Thank you I had no idea you felt that way about my interviewing skills.

??: I meant the other one.

MM: K. As realistic as you can be what do the Blazers do this summer.

??: It's hard to tell. Depends on who's in charge. If it's Nash or Pritchard I'd say a nice player in the draft and Miles will be traded. If it's Kiki I think he'll be able to do a little more because he won't take the job without some assurances from PA that he'll have more power. If it's Kiki, look for him to make a big splash with a major overhaul.

MM: To the league quickly.

??: You said last question

MM: I meant about the Blazers

??: Haha, go ahead.

MM: What do people around the league think of the blazers and their players.

??: Very cleaver

MM: I'm nothing if not sneaky

??: Surprisingly I think if any of them are offered up there will be multiple takers. Especially if it's any of your PG's. For whatever reason Miles still has some value as does Ratliff and Randolph. Randolph will be tricky because of his salary base, but if there's a will.......

MM: Yes?

??: Yes what?

MM: You were saying if there's a will, then you stopped

??: It's an old saying

MM: Seems like a dumb saying

??: There's more to it

MM: I know. Another great movie. Anchorman. Did you see it?

??: Yes. It was funny though in the movie

MM: Ouch again. Well thanks for sitting with me and answering these questions about the Blazers.

??: Anytime really it was fun. Thanks for the nachos.

MM: I was told that is the only way you'd sit with me.

??: Whoever siad that is a smart person.

MM: It was you

??: Like I said.

MM: Like you said what?

??: In all seriousness, the Blazers will be back. It will just take them time. They have a nice core. It's just not the core they thought they'd have.

Reactions: J_Bird

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Cool interview and good questions asked by you with some interesting answer by your mystery friend but IMO you lose alot of credibility by not telling us who he is. On the other hand I understand since I am sure you remember I had a semi-similiar dilemna in anncouncing the Telfair+Gun incident.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
mediocre man said:
MM: Ok, seriously now. As you know I'm a life long Trailblazers fan and I'd like to know anything you can offer up. Let's start at the top. What's up with Paul Allen?

??: I've heard he has no intention whatsoever of remaining owner under the current financial strcture between the Blazers and The owners of the Rose Garden. I don't know the particulars, but I've heard it would be almost impossible for him to move the team, so you can sleep at night knowing that.

MM: Ok, I'll leave it at that before the bad news starts coming out. What have you heard about John Nash's future with the team?

??: That it's all but over.

??: Outstanding. He took a team full of players that everyone knew needed to be traded and overhauled it with little or no resources from the owner.

MM: Any standout players you see in the future.

??: Haha, ya a whole roster full of them.

MM: Can you be a little more specific?

??: The team has two PG's on their roster that will be great player in this league for a long time. A shooting guard, or small forward depending on who you ask in Martell Webster that might be the best player in his draft class when it's all said and done, and other pieces like Viktor Khryapa and Travis Outlaw that will both be solid if not great players. I really like the Khryapa kid.

MM: What about the veterans?

??: I like Przybilla and Blake. Everyone else should go. Wait, I take that back. They ALL should go, but I like the two I mentioned.

MM: Why should they all go?

??: Portland will never win with any of them. Telfair, Jack, Webster, Kryapa, Outlaw and Maybe Przybilla are players to build around. They need to add a star to that group. If I were Portland I'd be on the phone every day to Minnesota begging for Garnett.

MM: K. As realistic as you can be what do the Blazers do this summer.

??: It's hard to tell. Depends on who's in charge. If it's Nash or Pritchard I'd say a nice player in the draft and Miles will be traded. If it's Kiki I think he'll be able to do a little more because he won't take the job without some assurances from PA that he'll have more power. If it's Kiki, look for him to make a big splash with a major overhaul.

MM: What do people around the league think of the blazers and their players.

??: Surprisingly I think if any of them are offered up there will be multiple takers. Especially if it's any of your PG's. For whatever reason Miles still has some value as does Ratliff and Randolph. Randolph will be tricky because of his salary base, but if there's a will.......

??: In all seriousness, the Blazers will be back. It will just take them time. They have a nice core. It's just not the core they thought they'd have.
All of these match my understandings. Would really like to know who this particular insider is.

Thanks, MM. Good read. Might be a very refreshing off-season here in Portland.

PBF

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, and I get that. I know a few people here that I've sent stuff to before it happened, so they should know it's real. For the rest just take it how you will I guess.

Surprisingly my self esteem is high enough that I don't need pats on the back from people. Just thought I'd share because the person knows a lot about the league and the Blazers

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Interesting read. Honestly his comment about Kiki kinda make me hope we get him. I wasn't really sure about him as GM, but if as he says:

If it's Kiki I think he'll be able to do a little more because he won't take the job without some assurances from PA that he'll have more power. If it's Kiki, look for him to make a big splash with a major overhaul.
I'd be a lot happier. Anyways, thanks for posting it MM.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Thanks MM, good interview. Sounds like the person knows his/her stuff about Portland's situation. Can't complain about anything he/she said.

Interesting about the Kiki for GM speculation. Safe to shoot for the stars like we did last year with Coaches, and Kiki would be a fine replacement.

I also found it interesting.....his praise for the job Nash has done.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
mediocre man said:
Ya, and I get that. I know a few people here that I've sent stuff to before it happened, so they should know it's real. For the rest just take it how you will I guess.

Surprisingly my self esteem is high enough that I don't need pats on the back from people. Just thought I'd share because the person knows a lot about the league and the Blazers
Was never suggesting you did..especially since I was accused of this very thing myself.

I guess the best way to describe it is by saying...I would be much more interested/excited if I knew who you "insider" was because I could say...."John Lucas" said the Blazers shouldn't draft Morrison etc.

Is it John Lucas perhaps? :biggrin:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts

WTF? How could this be considered "outstanding"?

We could, literally, have had a monkey in charge of the team for the past two years, we'd be just about as bad and Paul Allen would have saved tens of millions of dollars.

The monkey might not have done as well in the drafts and wouldn't have signed Joel, but also wouldn't have traded Rasheed (saving the Blazers money on SAR and Theo's original contracts) nor signed Zach and Theo to extensions.

"Outstanding" my ***.

Ed O.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Thanks for the interview information. I find it interesting that mystery man's (MM) analysis of the Blazers is very close to the analysis you have had of the Blazers all year. But you've posted here long enough and have enough respect to know this was a real interivew.

I agree with Ed on the Nash take. What has he done that has been great? He actually has had financial resources. He signed Zach to a close to max contract and gave Miles and Theo heffty contracts. He upgraded Pop to Skinner taking on more salary. He also made a qualifying offer to Hassel that Minny had to think long and hard about whether to match. And if rumor was true PA vetoed a deal for Miles that would have cut salary at the end of the year. So where is the financial constraints?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
In one of the recent "get rid of Nash" threads the thought struck me that, considering the trades he'd arranged that were vetoed by Allen, that instead of his contract not being renewed by management, it might be more likely that he'll be the one who says "bye-bye." I mean, from some reports, he's done a decent job of developing trades that would benefit the team only to be overruled. Then he still takes the heat.

I don't know if he's done an "outstanding" job, but it sounds like he's certainly tried to. He's done the house cleaning he was directed to do and even engineered several (reported) trades that would have made his time in Portland, as well as the Blazers, a lot more successful. I just can't bring myself to blame Nash for any of it under the circumstances.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Thanks MM!

Great read for all the Nash bashers. The majority of us want Zach, Theo, and Darius gone... all would have happened if Nash had his way. I hope we keep Nash.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
Thanks MM!

Great read for all the Nash bashers. The majority of us want Zach, Theo, and Darius gone... all would have happened if Nash had his way. I hope we keep Nash.
Agreed, this certainly points to the fact that Nash has simply had his hands tied during his entire tenure here.

How can the "haters" expect him to accomplish **** if this is truly the case?

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Ed O said:
WTF? How could this be considered "outstanding"?

We could, literally, have had a monkey in charge of the team for the past two years, we'd be just about as bad and Paul Allen would have saved tens of millions of dollars.

The monkey might not have done as well in the drafts and wouldn't have signed Joel, but also wouldn't have traded Rasheed (saving the Blazers money on SAR and Theo's original contracts) nor signed Zach and Theo to extensions.

"Outstanding" my ***.

Ed O.
While I agree about the Zbo contract and Ratliff (Though Ratliff still has value in the league), I still cannot see why you are *****in abour Rasheed. Rasheed said he was leaving town no matter what. Which part of that do you not understand? Did you want to lose him for nothing? I would like to hear what your supposed solution to the Rasheed situation would have been.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
In one of the recent "get rid of Nash" threads the thought struck me that, considering the trades he'd arranged that were vetoed by Allen, that instead of his contract not being renewed by management, it might be more likely that he'll be the one who says "bye-bye." I mean, from some reports, he's done a decent job of developing trades that would benefit the team only to be overruled. Then he still takes the heat.
That's a good point. I don't know how hires are made around the GM circuit, but if they are based on past performance and reputation, and Nash is not the one responsible for this mess, than besides the Nash bashing he has to endure, PA may have effected his negotiation on his next contract.

I'm still holding the hard line that he is to be held responsible for the draft picks, but after Telfair's game last night, maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
Thanks MM!

I see that mystery man supports Nash, but wasn't it Nash who signed Zach, Theo and Darius. Maybe "Nash lovers" default to it's all PA's fault. But the point of the interivew was Nash is great because he has had to work with financial constraints . . . but the signings of those three were not a result of finacial constraints. In fact if Nash had finacial constraints, those three would not currently be on the team.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Kiss_My_Darius said:
I see that mystery man supports Nash, but wasn't it Nash who signed Zach, Theo and Darius. Maybe "Nash lovers" default to it's all PA's fault. But the point of the interivew was Nash is great because he has had to work with financial constraints . . . but the signings of those three were not a result of finacial constraints. In fact if Nash had finacial constraints, those three would not currently be on the team.
You are ignoring the fact that Allen TOLD Nash to sign those guys, Nash would have gone a different route if he had it his way.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
hasoos said:
While I agree about the Zbo contract and Ratliff (Though Ratliff still has value in the league), I still cannot see why you are *****in abour Rasheed. Rasheed said he was leaving town no matter what. Which part of that do you not understand?
First of all, I don't appreciate your tone. I've done nothing to warrant you acting like I'm an idiot.

Secondly, I have yet to see any quotes from Rasheed saying he was leaving town no matter what. Please take this opportunity to remedy that. Unless none exist, in which case I think you should stop acting like you know more than I do.

Thirdly, my criticism of him in this thread has NOTHING to do with losing Rasheed. It has to do with taking on SAR and Theo, paying over $40m for the two of them on their existing contracts, and then EXTENDING Theo for no apparent reason a year before he was due to become a free agent.

Finally: Theo has no value in the league at his salary. Or very little.

Did you want to lose him for nothing? I would like to hear what your supposed solution to the Rasheed situation would have been.
Letting him walk for nothing would have been better than the deal we ended up making.

With some benefit of hindsight, I would have made a deal with Detroit similar to the one that Atlanta made a week later. If Portland had made further moves to remain competitive, the Atlanta deal (although NOT the Theo extension) would have been a pretty good one for Portland. If the team was planning on rebuilding, we would have been better getting a first rounder (that turned out to be Josh Smith) for Rasheed than taking on SAR and Ratliff.

Alternatively, the team could have traded Rasheed to Dallas for Antawn Jamison. The Mavs were able to flip Jamison to Washington that summer for a lottery pick. That would have entailed taking on salary, of course, in the form of Jerry Stackhouse. But considering how much money we wasted on SAR and Theo it would have been a better move.

Ed O.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
You are ignoring the fact that Allen TOLD Nash to sign those guys, Nash would have gone a different route if he had it his way.
How do you know this? Also, my only point is that Nash has not been operating under financial constraints, which isthe reason he is praised in the article.

What is Nash anyways, just a hallow figure with no say. If all this speculation is true (that Paul oredered Nash to sign the three and vetoed any trades involving them), how hard is it for Nash to say I think this is a bad idea and here is why. Here is other talent we can get for that money, here is a good long term plan, here is why getting rid of Theo, Miles or Zach is good, ect. I don't buy that Allen is the puppet master for Nash, but even if posters buy into this whole heartedly, than at best Nash is a terrible pursuader.

I see posters who want to give all the blame to PA and none to Nash as the same as giving all the blame to Nash and none to PA. The Blazers are aguably the worst team in basketball, each one of them probably had a hand in getting to this point.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.