Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Thanks for the interview information. I find it interesting that mystery man's (MM) analysis of the Blazers is very close to the analysis you have had of the Blazers all year. But you've posted here long enough and have enough respect to know this was a real interivew.

I agree with Ed on the Nash take. What has he done that has been great? He actually has had financial resources. He signed Zach to a close to max contract and gave Miles and Theo heffty contracts. He upgraded Pop to Skinner taking on more salary. He also made a qualifying offer to Hassel that Minny had to think long and hard about whether to match. And if rumor was true PA vetoed a deal for Miles that would have cut salary at the end of the year. So where is the financial constraints?

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
In one of the recent "get rid of Nash" threads the thought struck me that, considering the trades he'd arranged that were vetoed by Allen, that instead of his contract not being renewed by management, it might be more likely that he'll be the one who says "bye-bye." I mean, from some reports, he's done a decent job of developing trades that would benefit the team only to be overruled. Then he still takes the heat.
That's a good point. I don't know how hires are made around the GM circuit, but if they are based on past performance and reputation, and Nash is not the one responsible for this mess, than besides the Nash bashing he has to endure, PA may have effected his negotiation on his next contract.

I'm still holding the hard line that he is to be held responsible for the draft picks, but after Telfair's game last night, maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
Thanks MM!

Great read for all the Nash bashers. The majority of us want Zach, Theo, and Darius gone... all would have happened if Nash had his way. I hope we keep Nash.
I see that mystery man supports Nash, but wasn't it Nash who signed Zach, Theo and Darius. Maybe "Nash lovers" default to it's all PA's fault. But the point of the interivew was Nash is great because he has had to work with financial constraints . . . but the signings of those three were not a result of finacial constraints. In fact if Nash had finacial constraints, those three would not currently be on the team.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
You are ignoring the fact that Allen TOLD Nash to sign those guys, Nash would have gone a different route if he had it his way.
How do you know this? Also, my only point is that Nash has not been operating under financial constraints, which isthe reason he is praised in the article.

What is Nash anyways, just a hallow figure with no say. If all this speculation is true (that Paul oredered Nash to sign the three and vetoed any trades involving them), how hard is it for Nash to say I think this is a bad idea and here is why. Here is other talent we can get for that money, here is a good long term plan, here is why getting rid of Theo, Miles or Zach is good, ect. I don't buy that Allen is the puppet master for Nash, but even if posters buy into this whole heartedly, than at best Nash is a terrible pursuader.

I see posters who want to give all the blame to PA and none to Nash as the same as giving all the blame to Nash and none to PA. The Blazers are aguably the worst team in basketball, each one of them probably had a hand in getting to this point.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
This debate is funny. I actually posted a thread questioning whether Nash had any say based on the fact he wasn't sitting or interacting with the power people. The general response is I was reading too much into it and Nash had as much say as anyone else.

But when it comes time to analysis contracts, player movement and draft picks, all of a sudden Nash has no say.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
sa1177 said:
True of 99% of the **** said here...speculation.
Actually, I enjoy the game threads and player analysis more than all the speculation about what goes on behind closed doors.

(After reading the board and having my points struck down as "guessing" what is going on in management, I have changed perspectives and just agreed that when we talk about the Blazer downfall, "management and ownership" in general are to blame.)

In fact I'm suprised you are making these statement. Aren't you the one who says unless it is in quotes, then you can't believe it (media conjecture). So why even assume that PA has been making all the calls, I'm guessing you can't find quotes to that effect.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
sa1177 said:
Nope I can't...It just seems more plausible to me after hearing from multiple sources that he apprently did make the call regarding the potential Miles trades etc. I don't recall ever claiming it was a "fact." If I did so I clearly made a mistake.
No you didn't. I just remeber you shooting down an argument based on an article as "media conjecture" and unless it is in quotes, don't trust the writer's interpretation of what was said. I guess I would use the same logic here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.